Should a player draft be introduced?

With the amount of money floating around these days, the players should accept a draft system. This system stops players from opting out of contract and moving to a club of their desire whenever it suits them. In the Barba instance, Brisbane would have to give the Bulldogs one or two draft picks as compensation, and that’s only if the Bulldogs are happy with the arrangement. I think a draft also increases loyalty by players knowing they can’t just go to wherever they want, so they opt to make a career at the one place if their good enough.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

No. It’s been tried before and was a complete disaster. As it is there is too little incentive to develop juniors - if they got lost to a draft why would you bother?

It worked for Wests. Re. Terry Hill under Warren Ryan i think.

@AmericanHistoryX:

Well that’s what pretty much screwed the whole thing. There were a stack of rorts and loopholes to exploit. Wally Lewis to the Gold Coast was another example.

@Yossarian:

@AmericanHistoryX:

Well that’s what pretty much screwed the whole thing. There were a stack of rorts and loopholes to exploit. Wally Lewis to the Gold Coast was another example.

Whoa up Yoss

What did Wally Lewis have to do with the attempted draft ??

@Yossarian:

No. It’s been tried before and was a complete disaster. As it is there is too little incentive to develop juniors - if they got lost to a draft why would you bother?

You can always have rules that benefit clubs, eg father/son rule in AFL, where a junior can play for the same club as their father without entering the draft.

Anyway how is our current system better than a draft system, towards development?
Just asking a question.

I think a higher standard/valued reserve grade is a bigger concern than a draft.

@happy tiger:

@Yossarian:

@AmericanHistoryX:

Whoa up Yoss

What did Wally Lewis have to do with the attempted draft ??

It wasn’t his fault, I’m just using it as an example of the problems. Basically there was a clause which prevented you from being drafted by a team more than 100km (from memory) from your current club. So Brisbane players who used that clause could only go one place. So Wally entered the draft knowing full well that the Gold Coast-Tweed Seagull/Giants/Gladiators/Chargers were the only team able to recruit him.

@tigermaniac:

@Yossarian:

You can always have rules that benefit clubs, eg father/son rule in AFL, where a junior can play for the same club as their father without entering the draft.

Anyway how is our current system better than a draft system, towards development?
Just asking a question.

How does a father/son clause help in the case of Luke Brooks, James Tedesco et al? Apart from Curtis Sironen it’d be a waste of time. Despite its problems now, at least we get first shot at that cohort of players. If there was a draft having a successful junior programme (including Keebra Park) would be pointless. Unless the NRL invested in juniors in a massive way it would be a complete disater.

No, a draft is a machete answer to a problem that requires a scalpel.

What we need is to encourage the development of juniors and allow sides to build and maintain dominance, not just have a firesale, recruit heavily and be back on top after 1 year (Dogs and Roosters are recent examples).

We shouldn’t reward teams for coming last. The salary cap, while not perfect is the best tool for ensuring a measure of evenness across the NRL. Draft not needed.

The draft would help with retention of juniors if we had an “external” draft as per the AFL. That means that IF a junior who has not played NRL yet wants to leave his junior club, he would be placed in the draft. If he stays with his junior club, he is kept out of the draft. It would remove the incentive for a junior to leave his home club because he wouldn’t have a say in where he goes.

A draft system, internal and external is EXACTLY what the NRL needs but it will never happen as it was found to be a restraint of trade and even if the players agreed to it a la AFL, powerful clubs like Roosters & Melbourne would veto it as they would be at a disadvantage

@Yossarian:

@tigermaniac:

@Yossarian:

Just asking a question.

How does a father/son clause help in the case of Luke Brooks, James Tedesco et al? Apart from Curtis Sironen it’d be a waste of time. Despite its problems now, at least we get first shot at that cohort of players. If there was a draft having a successful junior programme (including Keebra Park) would be pointless. Unless the NRL invested in juniors in a massive way it would be a complete disater.

You make me laugh. I know how father son works and you give me those examples. I’m just giving you one example of many the AFL have in place, but anyway.
Tell me what is stopping the Roosters from signing all the best young talent, NOTHING. I was thinking more along the lines of aligning all players to clubs in their respective catchments. When the player turn 16, like the current representative rules, your in a pool for that area. Should the player want to leave, he can enter the draft, which you can’t stop, or you could do a trade with the club he wants to go to, for one of their players or a draft pick. This way it will stop a current out of control system we currently have. My system is, their yours if you want them or in the player draft if they want out.

You could also have a draft for players that have reach NRL and a separate draft for players that haven’t.

Remember a draft is a pool for players chasing $$$$ or for a change. Most sports have them and it goes well. The ones that don’t have a draft, buy/sell and have transfer fees. Salary cap, is not the answer.

I think you could get past restraint of trade if all players are centrally contracted to the NRL rather than to each individual club. Then the NRL pays out the grant in salary and gives the remainder to the club. But that is a slippery slope for club administrations and something that both the bottom clubs (insecurities) and top clubs (restrictions/limitations) would probably oppose.

Doesn’t work for the NRL structure… Juniors for Wests or Penrith plucked into cowboys and Warriors…

Also some legal reasons why it cant be introduced…

@LaT:

No, a draft is a machete answer to a problem that requires a scalpel.

wow. i like that LaT! thats going straight to my pool room of analogies… 😉

as for a draft for young players, that would really not benefit the tigers. it would basically turn the NYC and NSW cup into feeder competitions for the NRL, in the same way as what has happened to the WAFL and SANFL comps.

i think the best system is one of these comp teams being closely aligned to an NRL club as it currently stands. i think an example of how this still works well is jack buchanan. although the father/son rule has been good for a few clubs in the AFL (ablett, watson, cousins) a vast majority of young players are not the son of former players…

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme