Tigers plan an exciting future with young talent

Mayer’s comments are interesting: “Our aim is to be in the top eight next year, the top four the following year and in 2016 we want to be in the grand final,” he said.

Does that mean we’re not aiming to win the comp next year?

http://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/story/1734215/tigers-plan-an-exciting-future-with-young-talent/?cs=1185

By Ben Chenoweth

WESTS Tigers chief executive Grant Mayer (pictured) believes there is a thick and imminent silver lining surrounding the dark cloud that has hovered over the club in 2013.

Whether it be the hefty injury toll, the departure of Benji Marshall, the uncertainty surrounding the future of first year coach Mick Potter or the constant reports of board room infighting, the Tigers have had more than their fair share of negative press this season.

But Mayer has told Tiger Talk, the club is not after a quick fix and the money freed up by Marshall will not be thrown at another marquee player.

“We are very clearly happy to be a development club — we are not a cheque book club,” he said.

“We’ve been pretty clear in our communication that our desire is to embrace the future and retain a lot of young kids.”

The impressive debut of halfback Luke Brooks against St George-Illawarra Dragons on Saturday showed why the club is desperate to develop from within.

But Mayer has warned success will not come instantly.

“Our aim is to be in the top eight next year, the top four the following year and in 2016 we want to be in the grand final,” he said.

"To do that you have to have a number of key elements.

"One is our playing roster and the other is our training base. Where we are at the moment (Concord), that’s tired.

“In fact, we have one of the worst training facilities in the game. We have to focus on getting that right.”

Development is one thing.

Preventing players from being poached by “cheque book” clubs like the Sydney Roosters and the Brisbane Broncos is another.

But Mayer was confident the Tigers would not let the likes of another Andrew Fifita slip through their claws.

“The more and more we annoy them by retaining those players, the happier I am as CEO,” he said.

"We’re really excited about the roster we’ve put together [for next year].

“If you’re looking for something exciting to write, it’s all about 2014.”

Its called a realistic goal.
Building to something.
If we exceed that goal then ding ding ding, bonus points, free game

Sheens planned for a GF in 06 or 07 imsmc

On 2ky a few weeks ago, Mayer said “realistically …… improvements next year, top 8 2015, top 4 2016 and Grand Final 2017” … he seems to change depending on the interviewer.

Still, all CEO’s appear toe a similiar line when they are in an underperforming clubs … Peter Doust from St.George came out the other day with an almost identical line. I think it goes with the territory.

u earn the right to be considered a gf contender do u think we have earned the right yet ??

@galea#11:

u earn the right to be considered a gf contender do u think we have earned the right yet ??

No way, but if the kids keep improving I can’t see how we won’t threaten in 2 years. I’ve never seen a batch of youngsters come through at one time. Mayer has every right to be optimistic about the next 3 years.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

As CEO he’s saying the things he has to say, but do you disagree? I reckon he’s spot on, focus forward with a bunch of youngsters grown up together and, as ‘Ink’ said, anything extra “ding-ding”.

@Knuckles:

On 2ky a few weeks ago, Mayer said “realistically …… improvements next year, top 8 2015, top 4 2016 and Grand Final 2017” … he seems to change depending on the interviewer.

Still, all CEO’s appear toe a similiar line when they are in an underperforming clubs … Peter Doust from St.George came out the other day with an almost identical line. I think it goes with the territory.

No he didnt….it was the same time frame

A top eight spot in the next year is a huge, huge improvement on what we have been experiencing. I’ll take it.

@innsaneink:

@Knuckles:

No he didnt….it was the same time frame

No …. Your confusing the MMM interview … I wouldn’t make it up mate … he said what he said … I don’t tell fibs to make a point.

Only you would find something wrong with this, whether he got the years mixed up or not

@innsaneink:

Only you would find something wrong with this, whether he got the years mixed up or not

Allright … I tell you what … if you’re really sure of yourself and you believe he didn’t say it, how about we have a little wager on it. Of course it would need someone with access to the audio to prove the point. I’ll put up $100 to you making me up a Luke Brooks banner … There you go … What says you ? Odds are well and truly in your favour … Just need access to the Jimmy Smith interview with Grant Mayer on 2ky at 8.45am on a Sunday morning 4 - 6 weeks ago.

I dont give a shit whether he got his years mixed up or not…only you would clutch at this and make it something that it isnt.

Whats wrong with the goals he’s set the team?

“He seems to change depending on the interviewer”
What possible logical reason would he have for doing this other than it being an honest error, even IF it did occur…??
Do you REALLY believe it was intentional, IF it did occur?

You remember the precise time, yet not the date?
Come on… :crazy

For christs sake, get off his back

And I’ll make you a Brooks banner regardless

I have read it in various sources, heard it on different interviews and even heard it from the mans own mouth…
I’ve never heard him mention 2017!!
It’s always been top 8
Next year, top 4 in 2015 (corresponding with our big purchases in the player market) and a GF the following year… The only person that’s heard it is you knux, Tough argument!!

You can make me up a “Mayer Magic” banner if you like and I will take it to each game and hold it up if you can prove me wrong !

Mate he can say what he likes to whoever he likes …… But the reality is eight teams will make the top eight next year and eight teams will miss out … All sixteen CEO’s will talk up their clubs for obvious reasons … I personally don’t like the idea of getting everyone’s hopes up just in case something goes wrong … As it did in 2013. It would be more prudent to suggest there is a quiet confidence in the club that the upcoming season may be full of cautious optimism based on the crop of promising youngsters coming through the grades suggesting the worst may be behind us. That to me would hold more credibility and is more believable.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme