Here are 5 reflections on the game:
1. The most alarming thing about yesterday was the difference in the speed of the ruck between the two teams. I cant understand how two first grade sides could be so different in this area. I have started to notice that Woods is particularly poor in getting up quickly when he cant stand in the tackle. This may have something to do with the difference given how many hit ups Woods makes.
2. Brooks was poor. Forget his defensive problems, which can be expected in a half back playing his second game, Brooks was simply too often shuffling the ball to a player standing still. I still think he will be a very good player but now think he will have more bad games this year than good. One thought that concerns me is the fact he never really dominated NYC. How can you dominate first grade if you dont dominate NYC? Going to be fun watching him develop either way.
3. Lulia (spelling???) was poor but I still think he will be an okay backup and expect him to improve over the year.
4. I have made my feelings on Potter quite clear. However, once again his comments in a press conference concerned me. The media asked him a question about how the side lost their way in the middle of the first half. Potter disagreed and said he was happy with first 40 and said it was only on the second half that the team fell apart. I find this comment incredible and leads me to doubt Potter’s capacity to read trends in a game. It was apparent to me that 30 min mark we were struggling structurally and with our application. How did Potter not see that? How did the fact he didnt see it affect his half time talk? I have real doubts on Potter’s football knowledge given everything I have seen from this team and heard from Potter over the past 12 months.
5. I would be bringing Nathan Brown and BMM in a soon as possible to give us some mongrel. Unless Patterson displays his trial and Nine’s form next week, he should be the one who makes way. BMM has some defensive issues granted but no more than most of the forward pack out there on Sunday.
Posted using RoarFEED 2013
I agree with you mate.
My hope comes from an idea that we looked slick and sharp till Fulton went off and he was “minding” Brooks after which he copped a lot of traffic and that affected his organizational game and we lost our way.
Am thinking Potter didn’t want to give this away other coaches already would know but airing this info in the media might not help Brooks confidence too much.
Saints were good yesterday. Conceding only 6 penalties and 5 errors is rare on a hot 1st game day and would win most finals.
We looked good for 30 minutes and there was sickness in the camp during the week and Fulton,Galloway,Nofalima and Simona will help.
And our kicking game was terrible.
Disappointed but there is hope.
I must have been dreaming when I was watching Brooks smash it in under 20’s.
He had some good games Simon but he didnt dominate week in week out like Mitch Cornish for Canberra.
That may have had to do with Luke being a year younger. I am confident he will come good but think it unrealistic to expect him to be our saviour this year.
Posted using RoarFEED 2013