Melbourne win World Club Challenge

Melbourne win World Club Challenge
March 1, 2010 - 7:51AM

Melbourne have won rugby league’s World Club Challenge with a come-from-behind 18-10 win against Leeds at Elland Road.

Storm skipper Cameron Smith contributed 10 points off the boot as the NRL premiers this morning (AEDT) made amends for their 11-4 defeat to the Rhinos in 2008.

Tries to Luke MacDougall and Anthony Quinn ensured the trophy would remain in Australian hands after Manly beat three-time defending Super League champions Leeds last year.

The home team thought it had scored a try within the opening minute when Brent Webb ran over but he was held up by MacDougall on the last tackle.

Leeds were on the board a short time later when a penalty for off-side yielded two points for Rhinos captain Kevin Sinfield.

Melbourne levelled in similar fashion via Smith.

Leeds teenager Kallum Watkins dived over the line in the left corner but spilled the ball before Sinfield left the pitch after a heavy knock to his leg.

Rob Burrow stepped in to kick the Rhinos two points clear and a melee ensued moments later when Danny Buderus was dumped to the ground by Hep Cahill having already off-loaded the ball. However, Melbourne regained their composure and once again drew level off Smith’s boot.

Leeds finally scored a try in spectacular fashion eight minutes after half time.

Smith’s grubber kick hit the boot of Leeds’ Australian centre Brett Delaney and landed in the path of of Danny McGuire, who powered down the length of the field to put the Rhinos four points ahead.

Burrow’s conversion pushed the margin out to six, but Melbourne responded through MacDougall, who slid over on the right after Slater had been knocked to the ground by Kylie Leuluai and the Storm players moved the ball neatly across the field.

Smith made amends for his earlier contribution to the Leeds try by slotting home a tough conversion from the sideline.

Another successful kick by Smith after referee Richard Silverwood received an earful from Keith Senior put the visitors in front for the first time.

They survived a late scare when Watkins again failed to control the ball as he made a desperate leap over in the right corner and a last-gasp try by Quinn put the result beyond doubt.

Yet another trophy for the storm, as much as we love to hate em, theyre a class act
Looked a great game - saw most of the 1st half this morning before work…very tough, physical game

Yeah…Hoorah…

Stinking class Act Storm…

i just get so pissed off watching them, they hold onto the tackled man for an eternaty.

i’m just watching it now and i wish Leeds had won. Really dislike Melb and the way they play. I also don’t think they’re a class act at all, they’re dirty.

I must say although I dont like the Storm I thought it was a great effort for them to get the win this morning.Missing Cronk to injury and not to mention the amount of no names in their team it was going to be very hard for them… But once again it was a clinical performance.

It was a great game n i believe that Leeds were the better side its just that Melbourne r too good on the ground… Leeds would definately be top 4 contenders if they were in the NRL

This Melbourne side are unbelievably good. I also like Bellamy’s attitude towards success, while 15 other coaches say the salary cap provides a “window of opportunity” Bellamy goes out and proves them wrong. Back in 06, making 4 consecutive Grand Finals would have been unheard of under the salary cap. Although I’m not sure they can make it 5, Johnson is a massive loss.

😆 😆 There’s more to Running a Club than the Salary Cap that only accounts for less than a 1/3 of the costs…

Tell me which Club wouldn’t be successful when they can spend what they want…when at the end of the Year whatever your loss is …it is covered by News Limited…

No wonder Bellyache doesn’t care about the Salary Cap…Level playing Field indeed…

@innsaneink:

Yet another trophy for the storm, as much as we love to hate em, theyre a class act
Looked a great game - saw most of the 1st half this morning before work…very tough, physical game

Definately with you in hating them. I still think they are a waste. That playing talent that could be spread throughout NSW & QLD . I would rather a regional /country team from QLD or NSW or even New Guinea than Melbourne in the comp.

As manufactured as “The Monkeys” or " Spice Girls" or “Pussy Cat Dolls” , they have had a great deal of hype /exposure/onfield success. However they will NEVER have a decent fan base ( The population of Melbourne is second only to Sydney…their crowd figures ???.) They will be ( and have been ) an impost on ALL other NRL teams.

Yet the DAILY TELEGRAPH , and its " LEAGUE EXPERT “… Phil Rothfield… have made out as if the Melbourne Storm, and its players are the " PILLARS” of the competition…put on a pedestle the height of Centrepoint !!

Many years from now, if more Melbournians liked the game , played the game, sacrificed time, money ,blood sweat and tears for the game. If they created a culture, had a decent junior nursery and beyond else a community PASSION for the game, then I believe they’d deserve an NRL ( or any reincarnation of ) franchise.

As far as I am concerned. Any Melbourne Storm success , on field or off, is as ARTIFICIAL as the MELBOURNE STORM RLFC itself. And is a blight on the competition , and a kick in the guts and an insult to “REAL” League Clubs and their fans. And I haven’t even started on News Ltds exit from the NRL and the Melbourne " Funding guarantee". 😒

Bravo Tigerdazz……Top Post…

1. Inglis
6. Benji
9. Farah…

forget the rest…

@Icon:

i just get so pissed off watching them, they hold onto the tackled man for an eternaty.

Blame the ref for that. When the ref told them to move they normally did. The ref could have told them to move earlier. It was amusing hearing those stupid pommy commentators say that Melbourne shouldn’t be allowed to slow the play-the-ball down so much since they aren’t allowed to do it in Super League. They want to play all the WCC games over there and they want the NRL teams to play by all their rules aswell. Go jump.

I’m surprised some people don’t want Rugby League to be spread through out the country. Some of the new teams may do it tough financially and will require some assistance to start with but surely it’s good for the game in the longterm. I am sure the AFL would love it if the Melbourne Storm didn’t exist.

@Geo.:

😆 😆 There’s more to Running a Club than the Salary Cap that only accounts for less than a 1/3 of the costs…

Tell me which Club wouldn’t be successful when they can spend what they want…when at the end of the Year whatever your loss is …it is covered by News Limited…

No wonder Bellyache doesn’t care about the Salary Cap…Level playing Field indeed…

Refering to the fact that after you make a couple of grand finals players ask for more money, you can’t afford them under the cap, they go elsewhere. Melbourne play a game where you can slot 1 or 2 new guys into the team and it won’t hurt the team at all. Look how many rep players have left the joint in the past 3 years, and how well they’ve replaced them.

Good on them, they are the best football side of the past decade and deserve their success.

@Geo.:

Bravo Tigerdazz……Top Post…

1. Inglis
6. Benji
9. Farah…

forget the rest…

😆 Your super biased comments put a smile on my face Geo……

If the Storm dissolved I would want Slater, Ingliss, Cronk, Smith at a minimum.

They are a class act, they take unknown kids from the Queensland cup and not only turn them into NRL stars but the very cream of the crop…they’ve won 3 grandfinals, had 3 golden boot winners in the last few years, 4 grand finals in a row, minor premiers 3 years in a row and a bag full of SOO and International reps.

And they’ve only been around for 13 years.

Whenever we play them I take the game very seriously as they are the benchmark and a win against them feels a lot sweeter.

There are a LOT of sour grapes being eaten around here.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme