Referee Watch

Every year we’re complaining about a specific referee or a couple of specific referees. I was wondering if it is possible for us to somehow set up a referee index this year.

We watch a game than rate the referee’s performance and average it out over the course of the year to determine our preferred referees.

It is a matter of deciding whether to watch every game or just our games. That, and how to score the referee’s performance.

Feel free to knock the idea on its head as a stupid idea. It is just a thought.

To easy…Rounds 1 to 26.

I’ll start…

Archer…0
Hayne…0
Robinson…-0
Jagwad…2
De la Haaaaaaraas…3

ok

no one’s intersted

fair enough

I think it is highly interesting… but probably a bit difficult for us to do unless we have a lot of people watching every game. It would be interesting to at least list what we would score them on… do something like how they score players in Fantasy Leagues.

Number of penalties given
Number of decisions proved correct/wrong by reply

what else…???

I guess a lot of it is subjective to.

Would be very interesting to see. I remember a similar table going up sometime last year.

Tigers v Sea Eagles
Referees: Jared Maxwell & Gavin Badger
Sideline Officials: Gavin Reynolds & Paul Holland
Video Referee: Chris Ward

Not too shabby……anyone but Archer.

Or maybe something a little easier than grading them … maybe something as simple as Win-Loss record based on who the refs are and incl. penalty count?

Penalty count for home team and away team, total penalties, number of referrals to video ref…. might be a bit hard to keep track of with 2 refs on the field. The same stats might have to go on each of them.

Okay.

Rate the Ref of Manly vs. Wests Tigers 1-10

great concept, refs performances are highly subjective and this will create a lot of controversy. I would like to see refs getting the pats on the back for their good games which will give meaning to the bagging they cop when they get it wrong. Rugby league followers, more than any other code, seem to be universally opposed to praising refs which is a very unbalanced situation.

Maxwell had a shocker. How many warnings need to be given before he starts sending blokes off? At one point I saw him say to Lyon “one more and they’re off” … 5 mins later, penalty, no sin bin. When refs do that theyre only limiting the respect the players give them. 50 warnings mean nothing unless he actually follows through with the threat. Poor game.

Badger was fine. If you don’t notice the ref, they’re doing a good job.

@alex:

Maxwell had a shocker. How many warnings need to be given before he starts sending blokes off? At one point I saw him say to Lyon “one more and they’re off” … 5 mins later, penalty, no sin bin. When refs do that theyre only limiting the respect the players give them. 50 warnings mean nothing unless he actually follows through with the threat. Poor game.

Badger was fine. If you don’t notice the ref, they’re doing a good job.

I agree with this. It took what, 3 high shots before something was done? (Which meant nothing 10s before full-time) And don’t get me started on the penalty before half time…

Didn’t notice Badger though (Which like alex said, is a good thing)

@senexx:

Okay.

Rate the Ref of Manly vs. Wests Tigers 1-10

Badger….0/10
Robinson…0/10

I can’t be bothered going through individual decisions. However I positively hate that ref, Maxwell. Just the way he carries himself. He is the new Steve Clarke for mine. Looks like he has a massive ego and likes to get himself in the game. The bloke that crash tackled him at Ctown last season should be paraded at half time next home game.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme