Sacred family turf to Wests Tigers young gun Mitchell Moses

THE family bloodlines are about to get even thicker at Wests Tigers with teenage whiz kid Mitchell Moses, the nephew of Balmain icon Benny Elias, set to make his NRL debut against Penrith on Sunday

In a wonderful rugby league family twist, Moses, 19, will make his NRL debut at the Tigers spiritual home, Leichhardt Oval, the same suburban venue where his uncle carved out a ball-playing reputation in the 1980s.

Whereas Elias brought cheek and creative flair out of dummy-half, Moses has played the majority of his junior football in the halves, starring in the Australian Schoolboys class of 2012 alongside fellow Tigers young gun Luke Brooks.

On Sunday against the table-topping Panthers, Moses is expected to get an opportunity playing fullback after James Tedesco suffered a broken knee cap last weekend, ruling him out for up to 12 weeks.

Fortuitously, Moses will get the perfect tutor to help him adapt to the intricacies of wearing the no.1 jumper in Tigers coach Mick Potter, who won two Dally M Medals playing fullback in 1984 and 1991.

When contacted by The Daily Telegraph, Potter said Moses had been training at fullback this week because the club was still awaiting a fitness report on Blake Austin, who sustained an ankle injury
“We’ve got to see how Blake Austin is, he’s having a bit of trouble with his ankle,” Potter said.

“Mitchell’s on standby. He trained with the side the other day because Blake was sick and I’m waiting for the physio to give me a call.

“It could work out Mitchell does play but we will give Blake ample opportunity to recover.”

Moses was previously slated to make his NRL debut in round nine against premiers Sydney Roosters before being suspended for two weeks for making a homophobic slur in the under 20s State of Origin fixture.

Mitchell Moses, Curtis Sironen and Luke Brooks.
The ascension of Moses to the NRL continues the strong family ties from the Balmain Tigers side which played in the 1988 and 1989 grand finals, where Wayne Pearce, Paul Sironen, Steve Roach, Garry Jack and Elias were all club icons.

Sironen’s son, Curtis, recently returned from a foot injury and has been earmarked as an NRL star of the future for the past couple of seasons, Pearce’s son Mitchell has played NRL since age 17 while Jack’s son Kieran is a star for the Sydney Swans in the AFL.

Moses, Brooks and Sironen were all products of the renowned rugby league nursery Holy Cross Ryde.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE FORUM HAHAHA

Nah but this makes me confident Mitch will play, perhaps Luani back to NSW Cup?

Lucky the mods are asleep lol

How does this post 15 times though HAHAH

@Milky:

How does this post 15 times though HAHAH

19 times in all lol . I hope Moses does get a run it’ll be worth the trip to leichhardt

Yeah mate, hope we see

Tauapu to bench, Buch start.
Moses FB, Halatau start & Luani out.
Austo bench

Think we would be a much better chance, Luani is absolute CRAP. He threw a forward pass for a try on the weekend, highlight of his game, lucky reff was a lunatic.

thanks for posting that alexi.

thankfully it is looking like the team will be a bit different to the one named tuesday. personally, i would like to see moses at fb, halatau at hooker and austin on the bench. from the comments attributed to potter (“his ankle is hurt…he is sick…”) makes me think there is nothing wrong with him! hopefully…

centre is a biiiiiiig problem atm. lulia is bad. i really think that the tigers are almost on a hiding to nothing this week in particular, so i would be very tempted to give Fine a go. just not on idris!

still, thats why potter gets the big bucks and not me!

I would love to see Moses play this weekend.

That said, I feel incredibly sorry for Austin. Fancy getting an injury the week where he has a chance to cement a spot for the year…

Good luck to both of them

Hopefully both Austin and Moses play. One of them on the bench.
The thing I found incredible from that article was how many players from that late 80’s Tigers side produced kids that have gone onto play sport at a high level.
Roach- one son plays Waterpolo for Australia. The other played junior rep Rugby.
Siro- has produced one NRL player and one junior Tiger
Pearce - one NRL son
Jack- GFL playing son.
Hemsley?
Any more? I’m only including their offspring in the list

Lincoln Raudonikis (son of Tom)

Thanks for posting, alexaki.

Alexaki has to be put in the sin bin for a professional foul against the forum.

What a terrible article. Once again the Balmain bias is strong.

“In a wonderful rugby league family twist, Moses, 19, will make his NRL debut at the Tigers spiritual home, Leichhardt Oval, the same suburban venue where his uncle carved out a ball-playing reputation in the 1980s.”

How on earth is Leichhardt the spiritual home of WESTS Tigers ? This crap is why the Magpie side of the JV get narky. The constant pushing of the Balmain side.

@Juro:

I think I’m allowed an explanation…as I only just this morning saw this post and realise something must’ve gone wrong when I originally posted.

As you can see by the post time I originally tried to post this article at 11:41pm last night…I was in bed and using Roarfeed via my iPad. When I created this post Roarfeed didn’t advise me it successfully created the post, and of course I kept hitting submit to post the new topic I created…Roarfeed never responded advising my the post went through so I assumed the article didn’t get posted, so I gave up and went to bed…Now I see it appears the article was indeed posted several times(with every submit I hit)…so sorry for the error…I have never posted a new article from Roarfeed before…not sure if this was a one off glitch or a bug… regardless is it great news that Moses might be making his NRL debut this Sunday, hopefully on a dry track in front of a packed house(I’ll be there cheering him on!)

5 minutes in the sin bin for this misdemeanor !

@Tigerdon:

Hopefully both Austin and Moses play. One of them on the bench.
The thing I found incredible from that article was how many players from that late 80’s Tigers side produced kids that have gone onto play sport at a high level.
Roach- one son plays Waterpolo for Australia. The other played junior rep Rugby.
Siro- has produced one NRL player and one junior Tiger
Pearce - one NRL son
Jack- GFL playing son.
Hemsley?
Any more? I’m only including their offspring in the list

Garry Jack has 2 sons playing for the Swans, Keiren and Brandon.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.