Maybe we should sell up to Koukash

• Koukash the owner of Salford ESL side is looking at buying the Newcastle side

Maybe if it were possible for the Tigers to sell out we should look at him becoming our new sugar daddy

Just an idea outside the square , however poor it might be

• I’d be happy with that - i think. We always seem to struggle financially and the main cause of conflict between factions always revolves around one entity with and one without money. Take money out of the equation and you end up with a roosters type roster and troophies in the cabinet.

• © AAP 2014
    Ninemsn

Newcastle fans are unlikely to welcome a new cashed-up owner of the NRL club after the failed experiment with Nathan Tinkler, says Knights Members Club chairman Nick Dan amid reports linking British billionaire Marwan Koukash to the Hunter.

Dan, whose organisation holds a 20 per cent stake in the Knights under the club’s new ownership model, ensured safeguards such as the $10 million dollar bank guarantee were in place when Tinkler took over in 2011.

The 55-year-old Koukash, who bought and rescued Super League’s Salford Red Devils from financial strife in 2013, reportedly wants to do the same with the Knights following fellow billionaire Nathan Tinkler’s exit in May.

Former Knights premiership winner Matthew Johns said on his Triple M radio show on Wednesday that Koukash, whose net worth is estimated at up to $3 billion and is the biggest owner of race horses in Britain, wants to extend his portfolio to the NRL.

But Dan said it was likely to be a case of once bitten twice shy for Knights’ fans.

“I think they would be very, very apprehensive after the failed experiment from the past few years,” Dan told AAP.

"There are much more ownership benefits in the community model for the fans and for Newcastle and it makes for a much stronger business.

“Hopefully, these reports will spur more people on to becoming members of the club.”

It is unclear how advanced discussions with the media-friendly Koukash are.

Dan was unaware of any discussions and the NRL did not confirm that any talks had taken place.

However, the NRL did not close the door on another billionaire being granted control of the Knights.

“We have invested heavily in transferring control of the Knights’ ownership and now our focus is on bedding down the business,” a NRL spokesman said.

"The NRL has indicated that, at some point in the future, we will entertain a sale to a long-term owner.

“At that time, we will need to be satisfied that any new ownership brings all the right values for the club, the community and the game.”

The NRL took over ownership of the Knights in June.

The game’s governing body owns 80 per cent of the club under the new model.

Koukash has poured plenty of money into Salford, making no secret of his desire to make them the Super League’s leading club with several big-name signings including Adrian Morley, Gareth Hock and Kevin Locke.

Johns was adamant Koukash was interested in doing the same in the NRL.

“Dr Koukash is obviously a big NRL fan and his goal is to own an NRL team,” Johns said.

"He is absolutely desperate to buy the Newcastle Knights and is about to begin the process to be able to take ownership.

“Now the question is, can the people of Newcastle and the NRL trust another billionaire private owner?”

© AAP 2014

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

• © AAP 2014
    Ninemsn

Newcastle fans are unlikely to welcome a new cashed-up owner of the NRL club after the failed experiment with Nathan Tinkler, says Knights Members Club chairman Nick Dan amid reports linking British billionaire Marwan Koukash to the Hunter.

Dan, whose organisation holds a 20 per cent stake in the Knights under the club’s new ownership model, ensured safeguards such as the $10 million dollar bank guarantee were in place when Tinkler took over in 2011.

The 55-year-old Koukash, who bought and rescued Super League’s Salford Red Devils from financial strife in 2013, reportedly wants to do the same with the Knights following fellow billionaire Nathan Tinkler’s exit in May.

Former Knights premiership winner Matthew Johns said on his Triple M radio show on Wednesday that Koukash, whose net worth is estimated at up to $3 billion and is the biggest owner of race horses in Britain, wants to extend his portfolio to the NRL.

But Dan said it was likely to be a case of once bitten twice shy for Knights’ fans.

“I think they would be very, very apprehensive after the failed experiment from the past few years,” Dan told AAP.

"There are much more ownership benefits in the community model for the fans and for Newcastle and it makes for a much stronger business.

“Hopefully, these reports will spur more people on to becoming members of the club.”

It is unclear how advanced discussions with the media-friendly Koukash are.

Dan was unaware of any discussions and the NRL did not confirm that any talks had taken place.

However, the NRL did not close the door on another billionaire being granted control of the Knights.

“We have invested heavily in transferring control of the Knights’ ownership and now our focus is on bedding down the business,” a NRL spokesman said.

"The NRL has indicated that, at some point in the future, we will entertain a sale to a long-term owner.

“At that time, we will need to be satisfied that any new ownership brings all the right values for the club, the community and the game.”

The NRL took over ownership of the Knights in June.

The game’s governing body owns 80 per cent of the club under the new model.

Koukash has poured plenty of money into Salford, making no secret of his desire to make them the Super League’s leading club with several big-name signings including Adrian Morley, Gareth Hock and Kevin Locke.

Johns was adamant Koukash was interested in doing the same in the NRL.

“Dr Koukash is obviously a big NRL fan and his goal is to own an NRL team,” Johns said.

"He is absolutely desperate to buy the Newcastle Knights and is about to begin the process to be able to take ownership.

“Now the question is, can the people of Newcastle and the NRL trust another billionaire private owner?”

© AAP 2014

• Do you think Newcastle are happy they sold out to a billionaire ?
    It’s not always a good think having one owner. I think Koukash would quickly become the most hated person by posters on this forum .

• Tinkler was always a super high risk Billionaire. He had no income, he just had ‘paper value’ based on the potential to open a mine in the future.

If we landed the right Billionaire the big benefit would be to get the club running better. The money is a secondary benefit.

I am totally up for a Tigers Sugar Daddy.

• @Mccarry:

Tinkler was always a super high risk Billionaire. He had no income, he just had ‘paper value’ based on the potential to open a mine in the future.

If we landed the right Billionaire the big benefit would be to get the club running better. The money is a secondary benefit.

I am totally up for a Tigers Sugar Daddy.

Harry Triguboff ???

• no thanks

• @larrycorowa:

no thanks

Would you prefer to be owned by a leagues club?

How do you think the leadership of a leagues club compare to big business?

Do you believe our current model will result in great leaders making great decisions?

Would you prefer a good weather forecast rather than a good decision maker with a good business brain?

• Money is money. I don’t give a crap where it comes from. What are the disadvantGes of a private owner?

• @Tigerdon:

Do you think Newcastle are happy they sold out to a billionaire ?
    It’s not always a good think having one owner. I think Koukash would quickly become the most hated person by posters on this forum .

I don’t think it worked out too bad for them. He wiped all their debt and left them with 10 mil in the bank didn’t he?

• I’ve thought for a while now private ownership would be a good move for us.
    We need the money financially and we need someone in charge free from all the bullshit and infighting. If we moved from being a JV to privately owned there would be no more of this Wests v Balmain nonsense, I think. Or maybe I’m misunderstanding how it all and in particularly the legalities of the scenario.

If he did take over would we end up being called the Wests City Reds?

• Marwan Koukash: I want to own an NRL club in time for next year’s kickoff

Marwan Koukash is prepared to pay cash up front in an attempt to fulfil his ambition of purchasing an NRL team before next year’s kick off.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/marwan-koukash-i-want-to-own-an-nrl-club-in-time-for-next-years-kickoff-20140826-108lox.html#ixzz3BVT4CBQk

Quoted in the article: “Most importantly, I am a guy who listens very much to the fans”

–-

This guy needs to buy our club and help us get out of the hole we are in. THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN!

• It’s a no brainer for me. Although i talk from the point of view of being an avid Chelsea fan and what private ownership has done for that club. Taken it to places it never dreamt of going. I realise private ownership has also bought down some famous clubs.

Like I said for me its a no brainer the position we are in. I would love to see it happen.

• 3 months ago Koukash would of been licking his lips at the thought of buying the Tigers

Now he would be laughing his ass off at that same thought

I just can’t how bad things have become both on and off field

Recent Topics