Second Tier cap now exhausted

• Today’s DT reports that our second tier cap of $440,000 has now been exhausted, so in the event of further injuries (highly likely I reckon), we’ll need approval from the NRL to debut anyone else this season.

Personally I think this is rubbish considering we have season ending injuries to several players, let several more go during the season and Fulton was forced into premature retirement.

• This makes no spence to me … we all have been complaining why not use the 2nd tier players …was not Rowe in the top squad already as with Akauola. So by doing the right thing by the NRL re Fulton the club is being crucified .Has someone got the top squad listed somewhere.

• we have used 31 players I think which means 6 players salaries which gets fairly close to 440k

• Once again proving how dumb an idea this 2nd tier cap is.
    The reason to have a salary cap is to stop 1 or 2 rich sides buy all the best players.
    They should be encouraging clubs to use 2nd tier players, not limiting their ability to do so.

• How do Penrith have Kingston and Grant in NSW Cup…ffs they have good luck and a coach with balls.

• Im not sure who is where but when canberra were denied to play that kid on debut last week - it got me thinking…I thought we had used lots more lower graders than them but yeh its very hard to determine from the outside

• @Sabre:

Once again proving how dumb an idea this 2nd tier cap is.
    The reason to have a salary cap is to stop 1 or 2 rich sides buy all the best players.
    They should be encouraging clubs to use 2nd tier players, not limiting their ability to do so.

Do you recall a few years ago when the Bulldogs had virtually an NRL side in State Cup?
    Its to prevent clubs stacking.
    I agree though it seems to need work

• Banned

Deja vu - I’d give anything for the club to just have one year not having to worry about second tier cap issues!

• @innsaneink:

@Sabre:

Once again proving how dumb an idea this 2nd tier cap is.

Do you recall a few years ago when the Bulldogs had virtually an NRL side in State Cup?
    Its to prevent clubs stacking.
    I agree though it seems to need work

Yeah I remember it clearly and that’s what they need to prevent from happening.
    But teams shouldn’t be hindered from giving a kid his debut or getting a guy up from reggies to cover for injury.

• So for the rest of the season there are going to be a lot of posts whinging that we’re playing first graders out of position instead of promoting that kid who’s going well in Holden Cup. Can we get this stickied so we don’t have to explain the 2nd tier cap every time?

• We’ve effectively lost 5 of our original top 25 to other clubs and retirement. It seems silly that we can’t promote a player from the second tier to a top level contract to at the very least cover who we’ve let go…

• well, there you go, this is why we’ve been stuck with the some of the people we’ve been stuck with……it’s not that easy to just chop and change players

• I don’t know about 2nd tier cap , but I’m exhausted

So if we have used $440000 K , it costs us 80 k every time we debut someone as that is the league minimum

So we may have exceeded the 2nd tier cap and might get another minor fine

• Titans have apparently used the most players this year out of any club, and they seem to be able to keep rolling out new players at will without any problems - even brought Mortimer in.

I just don’t get it - we had more injuries last year I thought.

• The way I see it, yes we have had a hard run, yet Schubert was salary cap auditor and the Rooters were never under, but having to align ourselves with the NRL we will come under more severe scrutiny…

Rock and a hard place…

Recent Topics