Looking to the future

• I’ve been really mulling this whole coaching situation over the past few weeks and I must admit I’m not really convinced on which way I would go.

I think Potter has done the best he can with what he’s had. I think he’s handled everything that’s happened recently very well and seems like the calmest bloke in the world. The injuries have been against him the entire time he’s been here. But maybe that calmness is his downfall. I do think we look lost out there and are severely lacking getting the basics right. We don’t look like we are going to score and our defence is soft. We look leaderless out there. We look uninspired.

In Mick’s defence though you can’t coach basic ball control and unnecessary penalties and you can’t stop injuries which definitely have added to our on field problems.

But then I look at successful teams like Melbourne, Manly, Souths, Bulldogs, Roosters. I see something that really stands out to me. All their coaches blow up bucks deluxe when their players do something stupid, Mick just seems to sit there. Half-time in the sheds looks like a tea party even when we’re down by 30. Successful coaches are still ripping shreds off their teams even when they’re winning to keep them focused on the job.

I’m strongly leaning towards a Penrith setup. A Gould/Cleary team. I would give Mick another year and bring in a coaches director to help, Daniel Anderson would be at the top of my list.

I would try to bring in two new assistants because clearly the current ones aren’t helping. I’d try and get Jason Taylor and Kevin Walters.

Try and get Matty Johns or Brad Fittler in as a halves coach to work with our young guys and start to move away from Wests and Balmain players being so involved, I’m over all of Blocker’s stupid comments, I’m over the two former clubs crap and don’t even get me started on the board, I would get rid of the lot of them if it was possible and have a WESTS TIGERS board, not a Balmain/Wests board. Guys like Mark O’Neil, Simon Dwyer, Joel Caine, Liam Fulton, then of course Ink, Happy and anyone else on the forum who has the best interests of this club in their hearts because surely it’s better than a weatherman and a former Olympic great turned know-it-all apprentice.

Surround the players with a winning culture with people who haven’t been involved with the old brigade, recruit players who bust their guts for their teams (similar to how Penrith have) and I can see us having a huge future.

I’ve had my vent - I can have a beer now.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

• Did you dare suggest Matty Johns as a halves coach after his shenanigans recently? Seriously?

• @wd in perth:

Did you dare suggest Matty Johns as a halves coach after his shenanigans recently? Seriously?

They’re there to be coached. Not there to bitch and moan about “he said, she said” school yard rubbish. They’re professional footballers for gods sake, move on and get the job done. Matty, Freddy or Noddy are all excellent halves coaches, we need an astute halves coach with a good footy brain. Let’s get one, who cares about the past. Look to the future.

• Matt Johns is an A-Grade tw@ that is a complete fool. The controversy that will forever surround him isn’t something that a struggling club like ours needs - ever.

• Your entitled to your opinion mate, but he has a pretty good record of getting the best out of halves. That’s why I brought him up. I’m not looking at him as a personality or a bloke the club would bring to functions , I mentioned him as an option to help us in that department, which I believe him - or others - could do and something we clearly need.

• @tigertye:

Your entitled to your opinion mate, but he has a pretty good record of getting the best out of halves. That’s why I brought him up. I’m not looking at him as a personality or a bloke the club would bring to functions , I mentioned him as an option to help us in that department, which I believe him - or others - could do and something we clearly need.

I hear matts brother was a pretty good half,maybe we can get him to have a chat. But seriously boys it’s not our halves it’s our hearts , we’re playing without them. The things that went wrong last night were basic fundamentals that these guys learnt when they were kids. Holding the ball(especially in the wet),3 hit ups then backs ball then put a kick into the corner. Very simple stuff , but you can see they just have no interest. You can’t coach that. These guys need to be sat down at a video session and every error should be brought up and they guy making it should be asked why in front of the whole team and be ridiculed.the only way to turn this around is to embarrass the player. Most footy players have egos and they are there because growing up they were better than the others, it’s time to make them think they aren’t and see if we can force a bit of pride back into them.

• Individually they are having a go, but collectively they are a rabble and to a certain extent that is understandable with all our injuries. Defense and attack require good commutations and plenty of teamwork and that is just not happening. On top of that the passion is dead. Its sad to see a team drop its bundle the way our mob have six weeks ago things were looking good and now we are right back to where we started 15 years ago.

My big fear is, a long off season may not be enough to get this club pointed in the right direction and it may in fact take a few years to re build the place or even longer

• At least there seemed to be a bit of talk out there last night

We were totally outmatched by a team that had heaps to play for

We need to hang in these games early on

• Banned

@wd in perth:

Matt Johns is an A-Grade tw@ that is a complete fool. The controversy that will forever surround him isn’t something that a struggling club like ours needs - ever.

Did you hear mark Geyer on radio bagging Ian Botham for his infedelities while Matty was next to him? Shows how dumb Geyer is. He said “a leopard never changes its spots” and Gus Worland replied “im sure u were no angel” (paraphrasing)" and Geyer says “but i never apologised publicly”……The awkward silence from Johns throughout the exchange was cringe worthy.

• The team’s way down on confidence.
    No doubt it seems everything is against them, before they even walk onto the field: board, refs, injuries, inexperience etc.
    But despite this they start well, and have a go.
    All it takes is for passes to start to stick, rather than bouncing off shoulders or heads, then they score a few, and the confidence builds.
    Our young fellas aren’t accustomed to losing, and they’ll have worked hard to get here, so I don’t think a few thrashings are going to be more than a speed hump for them.
    We’ll be back in it soon enough, if we don’t freak out too much, and we can keep players on the field in 2015, and hopefully keep the coach for some continuity.

• The players are and have been ready all season , what has not been is the ineptness of the organisation looking after them ,it is a sad damnation that these players are not looked after in a professional manner and thrown out onto the field with amateurish trainers and preparation .

• @king sirro:

@wd in perth:

Matt Johns is an A-Grade tw@ that is a complete fool. The controversy that will forever surround him isn’t something that a struggling club like ours needs - ever.

Did you hear mark Geyer on radio bagging Ian Botham for his infedelities while Matty was next to him? Shows how dumb Geyer is. He said “a leopard never changes its spots” and Gus Worland replied “im sure u were no angel” (paraphrasing)" and Geyer says “but i never apologised publicly”……The awkward silence from Johns throughout the exchange was cringe worthy.

Matt Johns and his Fox sports blockhead Queensland forward mate were the architects who tried to plot our demise in the latter part of this year.

• people keep saying potter is the calmest bloke in the world, but watch him at half time or when the camera goes up to his box. I saw him last night absolutely screaming obscenities into the mic after a drop ball/error. He’s calm on the surface and he doesnt air his dirty laundry for the public to see but i bet he says what needs to be said post game/half time in the right tone.

• @pHyR3:

people keep saying potter is the calmest bloke in the world, but watch him at half time or when the camera goes up to his box. I saw him last night absolutely screaming obscenities into the mic after a drop ball/error. He’s calm on the surface and he doesnt air his dirty laundry for the public to see but i bet he says what needs to be said post game/half time in the right tone.

Bruce banner ?!

• Banned

Assuming everyone is available our first 17 and top 25 team for 2015 should be:

1- Tedesco
    2- Nofo
    3- Simona
    4- Hoeter
    5- Richards
    6- Mosses
    7- Brooks
    8- Woods
    9- Farah
    10- Lodge
    11- Santi
    12- Sirro
    13- Blair
    14- Tapau
    15- Ava
    16- Sue
    17- Akaula

18- Austin
    19- Fine
    20- Lawrence
    21- Thompson
    22- Hitchcox
    23- N.Brown
    24- Lovett
    25- Taukafa
    26- Moltzen

As for our much speculated Coach…the reality is Potter has not done a BAD job and there is little else on the market who is better…Renew Potter for 2 more years…and LET HIM select his support staff…from assistant coaches to R&C team…Potter needs to be more empowered than he seemed this year…I get the feeling he had little say in the appointment of Payten/Kidwell.

Recent Topics