Recruitment strategy?

• Ok. So lots of names get thrown up in here, but what really strategy should we follow?

We have great young halves and a top (injury prone) fullback and a winger or 3. Forwards are a mixed bunch. Young talent and a stretched leader but needing a little more.

So my real question is where do we need old heads (and at what cost) and where do we need to get some up and comers in there?

I think we need some experience in the backs. Not a strike weapon, but a level head. In the. Forwards we need a leader that just knows how to get the job done (no shots at Robbie there people).

If I had the answers I’d be employed there but I reckon we are sweet in the backs if we stay fit, a big if though, but the forwards need some cohesion and fight. I see why some say mason is the answer. That’s yesterday’s solution though.

Is lodge good enough? Is there a young back we can steal from a strong club to compliment us?

You guys know the under 20’s more than me. Is there anyone there to help in the backs? Is there anyone else experienced in the forwards? (IMHO Jeremy Smith would be great)

Given we have money problems, and a coaching issue, what’s your opinion of the roster problem and your solution?

If I knew the solution, I wouldn’t be asking…

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

• Lots of guns in U20’s.
    Not sure who will be the one.
    Something has to be done though, cos Lawrence is garbage.

Simona needs to be on the wing too.
    Thats his position IMO.

• @Demps:

Lots of guns in U20’s.
    Not sure who will be the one.
    Something has to be done though, cos Lawrence is garbage.

Simona needs to be on the wing too.
    Thats his position IMO.

I agree about Simona on the wing, it’s where he has played his best football!

• I don’t know how legal this recruitment strategy is , but it will work

Take the player and player manager out for a liquid lunch at the 19 th hole on the 31st of June

Spike their drinks , and hey presto

GI just signed to play at the Tigers for 250k for 6 seasons

• I think it’s funny you even entertain the idea that the Tigers have a ‘Recruitment Strategy’.

The board and CEO are a bunch of muppets

• Seriously though, we need to buy some top quality centres to replace Lawrence and provide some depth. I think that needs to be the priority.

Not sure who’s available or who we can afford tho.

• If Wests Tigers have the money all they need to do is spend it all on two good, reliable centres who have acceptable speed and defence. The club needs to start now so that the two centres are in our colours before the 2015 season begins…

• Imagine this headline for recruitment, " Koukash and weststigers get their man. Folau, a weststiger junior, signs on for five years "

If only

• ForumSupporter

Not likely unfortunately …we shop at GO-Lo

• Hard to have a recruitment strategy when we have no coach and no board. The first thing I would do is move Warren Mcdonald on, he has had the gig as our recruitment man for a long long time and outside our Kereba connections he has delivered very little. Okay granted its hard gig to be in charge of recruitment at the Tigers when the bank balance is always under pressure, but his success rate is not good. We need a new man,with good contacts and new ideas

• @supercoach:

Hard to have a recruitment strategy when we have no coach and no board. The first thing I would do is move Warren Mcdonald on, he has had the gig as our recruitment man for a long long time and outside our Kereba connections he has delivered very little. Okay granted its hard gig to be in charge of recruitment at the Tigers when the bank balance is always under pressure, but his success rate is not good. We need a new man,with good contacts and new ideas

No excuses he is garbage, his son played FG, that was his bonus!! Buckets got Ellis and the rest are juniors and keebra. He signed ohara, cayless, buettner, nick graham, anasta. Should i go on?

• I guess Warren McDonnell must be a good talker or something to survive for so long with such an abysmal recruiting record. He has somehow even managed to weasel up to sit next to the coach.

We need someone that actually goes out and identifies talent at a young age. McDonnell waits for players to make rep teams before signing them up but by that stage it’s too late.

He takes a punt on players like Groat and Kitt who had all their education paid for and amounted to nothing. While not being able to identify talent right under his nose like Tedesco, Nofoaluma, Lafai and Skellton.

I know first hand this grub has made life very difficult for a number of players and their families. The tragedy of Mosese Fotuaika we all know about. This guy is a cancer we can do without.

He would easily be the worst recruiter in the NRL, his old-fashioned views and methods are not what we need going forward.

• Is that why there has been no news regarding Wests Tigers’ recruitment for 2015 - the Recruitment Manager is on his way out? Another mess-up.

• Our recruitment strategy is that we are primarily a development club, and it just so happens this is a good thing given the overall financial situation of the club. Yep, we’re certainly hurting with injuries and dramas off the field, but we’ve also got some of the best talent in the game coming through at the club IMO.

Our State Cup side is sitting in the top 4 and would arguably be placed higher if it were not for injuries in FG throughout the year. Likewise with our NYC squad.

The thing that hurts us in the recruitment market is the fact we have rubbish facilities and we’re not flush with cash which everyone knows - Rightly or wrongly we have paid over to attract some players to the club.

Personally I think we need to occasionally splash out on a big name player if it is in a position we are lacking. I think we’re looking reasonable in most positions over the next 2-3 years except centre and wing where our depth looks limited, with no massively tall or exceedingly quick players in our lower grades at present which I think we need given we have probably the best young halves combo in the comp who really deserve a slick backline outside of them to help show what they and the team are capable of.

That’s my 2 cents anyway.

• Willow I’m with you. As a development club we need some good older heads. Anasta was probably bought with this in mind but he was not the right one.

In my opinion we need to keep recruiting some experience to settle the new guys in. It’s this lack of experience that we need to address.

In 5 yrs it’s a different story as we will have plenty of experience (if we keep them) and the young guys still coming through.

It’s a tough situation to be in right now

Recent Topics