Mick Potter on his West Tigers future

• Mick Potter on his West Tigers future: “I want to start to plan for 2015 unless I’m told otherwise”

David Riccio
    The Sunday Telegraph
    September 07, 2014 12:00AM

WESTS Tigers coach Mick Potter finally gives his side of the story on Robbie Farah, the club’s nightmare season and his decision to fight on.

I feel like this could be your final interview as Wests Tigers coach, do you?

Well, at this stage I don’t know if it’s going to be. But I’d like to think with the new board coming in, that would enable me to continue on.

Why, after all the agendas, lack of respect and back-stabbing, Mick? How could you possibly want to be at the Tigers in 2015?

I can tell you right now, I definitely want to coach the Tigers for next year and beyond. I’ve still got something to offer the organisation. I know good practices, I know integrity, I know honesty and I know about hard work.

I also know the players are prepared for that hard work. They’re a good bunch of players and I know if we stay injury free, we’ll have a big crack in 2015.

Why should the new board keep you?

There’s been some progression from the last couple of years. The young kids that have come up have shown that they can step up and they need another strong off-season to get better. And we’ve had an horrendous run of injuries over the last year and this year in particular — it’s been mostly backs.

To lose players of the calibre of Braith Anasta and Liam Fulton has really put a dent in our aspirations. And 10 rounds in, we were very hopeful that we were going to be there when the whips were cracking.

When will you get a chance to address the new board?

At this stage I don’t have a meeting scheduled. I look forward to meeting them soon.

So are you turning up to work on Monday?

I’ll go into the office regardless.

Why? The season is over and you haven’t been told you’re wanted for 2015.

I want to start planning for 2015, unless I’m told otherwise.

Your contract expires on November 1. Have you even been able to lock in a return
    to training date?

Yeah, we’re back at the end of October, for testing and we’ll see who scrubs up in the testing and who doesn’t.

But you don’t know if you’re going to be there?

No.

So who is making decision on recruitment and retention of players if the Wests Tigers don’t know who the coach is?

That’s still an on-going process with the coaches that are there and the recruitment manager and the CEO. That goes on regardless whether or not the head coach is there.

Brian Smith was appointed halfway through the year to conduct a review of football operations. Was it necessary?

We had some issues as an organisation and I agree, I think it needed to have an outsider look at the place on how the structure was.

What issues are you talking about?

It wasn’t so much what was happening at the head coaching level, but right through the coaching staff and also about facilities. The facilities are 1980s. We need to upgrade our facilities and that was the most urgent thing. The physio, rehab, medical area that needs an overhaul and that comes back to finance.

There was nothing in that report that we didn’t know already, but I think Grant (Mayer, Tigers CEO) felt we needed an independent view at it, so when the new board came in it wasn’t just us having a whinge, it was legitimate.

Those issues, is that what you will raise with the board?

Yes.

Did you feel threatened by the appointment of Brian to conduct that review?

Not at all.

It’s been a lean period since the Robbie Farah-Gorden Tallis blow-up. To me, that’s proof the entire saga had some impact on the players.

I think it’s played its part, but there’s other factors. There’s injuries, plenty of them and then there’s other people out there that make it really tough to do this job.

Do you feel like you’ve been coaching with your hands tied behind your back?

That’s exactly how I feel. It’s been very tough and I’d like to think that I haven’t compromised on the way I coach or any of the principles that I do around the place.

Your relationship with Robbie Farah, how would you describe it?

Robbie and I get along fine. We often have a coffee or some breakfast and just meet up to talk about the team, talk about himself and how he’s going. And what we need to do better. I value Robbie’s comments, he’s a senior player … and all he wants to do is win and that’s no different to me. I’d like to continue to coach Robbie.

Robbie has stated he supports you. Has he told you he wants you to be the coach?

Not in those words, but I feel I’ve got Robbie’s support. He’s made it public that whether it’s me or someone else, he’ll support the coach and right now, that’s me.

What about Grant Mayer, do you have his support?

I think so, yeah. I’m confident of that. I think he’s doing a fine job. He’s working to a budget and taking the club in the right direction.

Anyone who knows the game can see what is brewing at the Tigers. There is some terrific young talent. Is that why you don’t want to leave?

That’s part of it, but when you start a job, you don’t want to leave it halfway through either. And we’re only halfway through as far as our younger players reaching their potential.

Luke Brooks, Teddy (James Tedesco), I really don’t want to single guys out because they are all such great young talent who all want to listen and learn. I can see a very bright future for the whole organisation.

How soon will you know, how soon will the Tigers fans know, who their coach is?

That’s the question everyone keeps asking. I would love to know, too.

• Willow great research,his interview just confirms what some of us have said before,Micks honesty and integrity remains ultimately high…He is passionate about making this team a realistic finals side for sometime,I hope he is given that opportunity 😃

• He is not wanted by a certain player group and others in admin, it is not right but the guy has to accept there is no future at Concord. When players are calling the shots the organisation is at rock bottom ,the board can change but until the agitators are gone nothing really will change , the cancer has to be removed.

• Before everyone screams at me, I don’t want him as coach. Purely due to wanting a fresh start.

Having said that, Damn, he must be the nicest, most patient humble guy I have come across in football.

What a great guy!!

He must be a wonderful mate, and an even better father.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

• I’m not convinced a fresh start is required or even desirable with the young guns in the team. The drift I’m getting is that he has support from some of the youngsters as far as his coaching and development is concerned. If that is the case, some continuity would be the better decision, rather than a new coach having to start from scratch.

• Banned

I’m not sold on him but I think he deserves another 2 years. He comes across as a great guy and given some luck with injuries our season may have been a lot better.

• @Mccarry:

Before everyone screams at me, I don’t want him as coach. Purely due to wanting a fresh start.

Having said that, Damn, he must be the nicest, most patient humble guy I have come across in football.

What a great guy!!

He must be a wonderful mate, and an even better father.

That is most often the case in life.

• Banned

Potter deserves a senior role with the WT…the GM Operations role IMO. He has all the attributes required for that role. This team needs a new coach…someone who will deflate their ego’s; demand results and a work ethic and if they don’t deliver suffer consequences; they need a coach who will develop the younger ones - Potter isn’t the answer…

• Farah could have ended this bullshit 10 odd weeks ago by saying " yes I did state that Potter was struggling / couldn’t coach 18 months ago "… "now things have changed and I want Potter to be our coach "… But no he carried on like the petulant child he’s become and helped kill off what looked to be a top 8 finish .

I hope the next coach ( if Potters not required ) has the FULL support of the senior players or it’ll be the same crap as this year IMO .

• @ Hobbo,agree with your comments,however G MAYER could also have stopped the rot as well,he needs to answer for some of the s…t. 😊 😊 😊

• @TrueTiger:

@ Hobbo,agree with your comments,however G MAYER could also have stopped the rot as well,he needs to answer for some of the s…t. 😊 😊 😊

I agree …. If Potter gets the arse ? Mayer should get the arse as well ! And Robbie should be told to keep his mouth shut , support the coach ( who ever it’s going to be ) . And leave his emotions on the field or behind closed doors IMO .

• We were like a rudderless ship since the Bulldogs game

People who should of stepped up and put all the crap to bed didn’t

The problem is that those same people now seem to be shrugging their shoulders and saying it wasn’t their fault or finger pointing

If Potter goes and the board goes and Mayer stays we have made the wrong call yet again

If Potter goes ,Mayer must go as well Simple

• @happy tiger:

We were like a rudderless ship since the Bulldogs game

The problem is that those same people now seem to be shrugging their shoulders and saying it wasn’t their fault or finger pointing

If Potter goes and the board goes and Mayer stays we have made the wrong call yet again

100% agree happy , I think Mayer would be better suited to managing a "Hungry Jacks " restaurant .

• I don’t think too much has to change now.

The new board is in place and if they are serious, they will get cracking immediately. I think Mayer should stay. I think Potter should stay, I think the fresh start has begun.

And for those who don’t understand how much difference a new board can potentially make, imagine driving the very latest luxury sportscar. Not much good without the steering wheel! You can try and steer by regulating the power to the rear wheels, or stopping occasionally and getting out and pointing it in the right direction again, but ultimately it’s a complete waste of time.

• @hobbo2803:

@happy tiger:

We were like a rudderless ship since the Bulldogs game

100% agree happy , I think Mayer would be better suited to managing a "Hungry Jacks " restaurant .

Nah he’d even struggle with that

He’d breach all the social media guidelines that most employers have 😆

Recent Topics