Grant Mayer

• We here about the players getting cut. We here the coach and the assistants are the walking dead. The old board is gone. Even the ground announcer quit. So its a big clean out which is not a bad thing.

What about Mayer? Is this not the man responsible for half this mess. This bloke is making recommendations to the board about the new coach? There have been times the past 2 seasons where it is has been embarrassing to be a WT supporter.

I know he likes to interact with fans and get around everything (at least he was everywhere earlier in the year not lately) However the CEOs job is to lead the football club and get everyone on the same page. The whole Farah/Potter/Video Edit/suicide Sunday was a horrific look for the club and the fall out from it was huge.

Bottom line I just don’t trust the guy to be a great leader. Our club has resembled a park footy club the last 2 seasons at times the way it is run. He has this arrogance about him and smugness i dont know why. To be he looks like a good man for marketing/memberships/new ideas. However in terms of leading a professional organisation he falls well short. You only have to look how it ended for him at Manly and GWS to know what people that work with him think of him.

I dont know maybe he is responsible for some of the positive changes coming at the club, however i just dont like him as a leader. Where has he been the last 8 weeks, Potter/Farah has taken all the bullets, I have barely seen or heard from Grant?

• I was thinking exactly the same thing. Is Mayer in hiding? Why all this no comment from our CEO? Do not the supporters of the club deserve regular updates on where the club is heading at this critical time? Isn’t our CEO the man whose responsibility it is to deliver these regular updates?

• He’s still been in the media heaps.

If you remember before, everyone here was complaining about how fans were kept in the dark and there was very bad communication between club and the members. He’s fixed it heaps- there is still improvement left but he’s fixed it a lot.

You could say he has done this to just please the fans but he’s listened to the fans to be able to do that.

Even though we’ve had crappy on field results, he’s managed to keep our sponsors up. Merit on has re signed for a year iirc.

You’re right he has this smugness and arrogance about him that I don’t like either. He’s the sort of guy who will throw someone else under the bus to save his arse but for some reason, I think he’s right for the club right now. He has minimal input in our on field results afaik.

He’s not perfect but everyone in the organisation including GM deserves a fair go under the new board IMO

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

• I don’t care about being updated on things. That’s not really my point.

I just don’t think people respect him in the club or in the game in general. It’s fine to not like him but if they don’t respect him then thats different. I think he made Potter and Farah look really bad and take all the heat for a mess he created. He was mr.everywhere early in the year when the team was winning and then they started losing and he went missing. He let everyone else take the bullets.

I don’t think he is capable of creating an environment where people are on the same page. I mean it has been proven over and over the past 2 years. This review was his idea, and the review was probably a good idea. However did he think of the ramifications of doing it mid season and all the damage the leaks did?

I think their are skills he is really good at but i don’t think hr fits the bill for CEO.

• I don’t know - this guy could be the big winner in all the sh## has happened. The new board will be taking a lot of direction from the CEO given that they have very little football knowledge and very little knowledge of the workings of WT. We may be in the " Era Of Mayer".

• Is he still under contract? And how long for i wonder.

• @diedpretty:

I don’t know - this guy could be the big winner in all the sh## has happened. The new board will be taking a lot of direction from the CEO given that they have very little football knowledge and very little knowledge of the workings of WT. We may be in the " Era Of Mayer".

Just in case people get the wrong idea - I’m not a Mayer fan. In my mind he couldn’t run a chook raffle without telling half the club who had what ticket. He needs to learn to keep things house.

• Banned

@diedpretty:

@diedpretty:

I don’t know - this guy could be the big winner in all the sh## has happened. The new board will be taking a lot of direction from the CEO given that they have very little football knowledge and very little knowledge of the workings of WT. We may be in the " Era Of Mayer".

Just in case people get the wrong idea - I’m not a Mayer fan. In my mind he couldn’t run a chook raffle without telling half the club who had what ticket. He needs to learn to keep things house.

The board is big on governance…Mayer will have to be very accountable to the board for all his major decisions… The board will insist/ensure he was very diligent in his decisions made and the decisions are in the bests interests of the WT… And if Mayer fails to deliver he will be booted… Times are going to get tougher for MAyer under this new board … Watch

• I don’t think Mayer will be going anywhere … The fat sloth has Willy Wonka’s last golden ticket and he’s keeping it !

• I think it is a mistake to mix up one’s feelings about Mayer’s persona vs his performance in the job. People talk about him like they know how his job works, or how he performs, like they have inside information. Or as if the issues with the club fall at his feet.

He does seem like an arrogant fellow but I really don’t have any idea about him or the work he does. Perhaps he is serving the club very well and deserves to stay on.

On the other hand everyone seems to think Mick Potter is a good guy and should be given another go in 2015. Perhaps in fact Mayer is very good at his job and Potter is a rubbish coach. Forum sentiment really has nothing to do with it.

I think it’s presumptuous of supporters to assess the competence of the CEO, that is for the board to do. As supporters we really don’t know anything about the in-house business performance and machinations of the WT.

Personally I think Mayer had a decent rep with fans until this board / Farah v Tallis / 2015 coach / end of year capitulation crap all came through. Now it seems to all fall at his feet and “the incompetents” on the board.

People want sweeping changes in all facets all at once - replace the board, CEO, coach, S&C. Imagine if you went in and through out all the management at your work, that complete loss of local knowledge and leadership.

The board has been shaken up, let’s see how they decide to move forward before we go calling for other people’s heads.

Recent Topics