Potter lives to see another day after fronting new board

Wests Tigers coach Mick Potter unsure of future

Date: September 12, 2014 - 2:54AM

Brad Walter
Chief Rugby League Writer

While it is understood the board spoke of their respect for the job Potter has done in difficult circumstances during his two-year tenure at Concord, the fact they have not offered him a new deal has led some to believe a decision has been made to look elsewhere for a coach. However, directors are expected to make a decision on whether Potter is the right man for the job before considering alternatives and as the former Catalans, St Helens and Bradford mentor remains contracted to the club until October 31 he is likely to be in charge when players return to training on Monday after a week-long break since their final match of the season against Cronulla last Saturday.

Despite the uncertainty over who will coach the Tigers next season, several players have been told they are free to consider other offers, while the club has been linked to Gold Coast’s Brad Takairangi. While Melbourne are also reportedly interested in Takairangi, a New Zealand Rugby League media release announcing players selected in the Kiwis train-on for the upcoming Four Nations listed his club as Wests Tigers.

Moltzen, fullback Kurtis Rowe, props Jack Buchanan and Nathan Brown, hooker Joel Luani have all been advised they can look elsewhere for next season but the Tigers will honour their contracts if they choose to stay. Second-rower Bodene Thompson is among a handful of other players off contract, while Anasta, Fulton and Cory Paterson have retired.

The Tigers have also advertised for the newly created job of general manager of football, which is a position at most AFL clubs and would be similar to the role filled by Rodney Eade at Collingwood. It is understood there have already been a high number of applicants.

Meanwhile, the Tigers remain keen to keep utility Blake Austin and do not plan to release him, despite his desire to join Canberra next season.

Anasta was on sports fan clubhouse last night,when asked not to sit on the fence about Potter he said"I would like Mick to get a 1 year extension to see what he can do with his own assistants not club appointed ones."
Then when asked about his reply he said “but I think Mick is gone unfortunately”,so our Mick I think is going to be let go.

@Tiger Watto:

Sadly, its pretty obvious there is dis-unity in the player ranks vs coaching ranks…

Is there? Or is there disunity in the head coach vs assistant coaching ranks?

@851:

Anasta … said"I would like Mick to get a 1 year extension to see what he can do with his own assistants not club appointed ones."

I hope the Board takes the time to investigate where the disunity was centred and excise it completely. A little bit of cancer is still cancer.

@851:

Anasta was on sports fan clubhouse last night,when asked not to sit on the fence about Potter he said"I would like Mick to get a 1 year extension to see what he can do with his own assistants not club appointed ones."
Then when asked about his reply he said “but I think Mick is gone unfortunately”,so our Mick I think is going to be let go.

I know its pretty obvious and we always want to know what’s going on, but seriously, Anasta is still contracted to the Wests Tigers till the end of November and disclosing such messages is simply irresponsible!

You’ll find that most head Coach’s appoint close mates as their Assts so they know there’ll be no sniping from within. It’s common knowledge that Payten and Kidwell were angling for the top job, sadly for them this will count against them when it’s time for them to seek roles elsewhere. As much as i feel Potter deserves a year with his own appointed staff I fear Robbie and his band of sooks will sabotage another year. So sadly we need our 3rd Coach in 4 seasons.
I really hope Robbie likes the next guy.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

Wow ,do you have a close assistant ?

Potter gets to make a last phone call

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

Im not sure why so many of you lot want to keep Potter

I frankly didnt see anything in his half time chats that gave me confidence in his coaching ability and faith that he could turn a losing game into a win.

I’m sorry but i cant spend another season (2015) watching him have no or little control over the team.

You knew Sheens would give you a spray everytime they played 1st half of rubbish…

Potter is too timid for my liking . Get the mongrel out or get out

Just maybe, it’s brains before brawn!

Give him a year with full control. I.e his recruitment and coaching staff. Its the decent thing to do.

@Love the WestsTigers:

I frankly didnt see anything in his half time chats that gave me confidence in his coaching ability and faith that he could turn a losing game into a win.

I’m sorry but i cant spend another season (2015) watching him have no or little control over the team.

You knew Sheens would give you a spray everytime they played 1st half of rubbish…

Were you in the sheds with the team at half time? Hmmm!

@Love the WestsTigers:

Pretty sure I mentioned this in a thread recently Sorry if I did

I don’t get too watch many Sunday games due to work so I listen on ABC Grandstand

The woman who does the HT dressing room reports always would say if the Tigers were playing badly that the paint was peeling off the walls in the Tigers dressing room with Potter

Just because we don’t necessarily see him going nuts , doesn’t mean he isn’t

Some of my staff say the same thing , I can get my message over extremely clearly without losing the smile of my dial

But they sure as hell know that I’m serious

@happy tiger:

Just because we don’t necessarily see him going nuts , doesn’t mean he isn’t

Some of my staff say the same thing , I can get my message over extremely clearly without losing the smile of my dial

But they sure as hell know that I’m serious

I’m with you Happy. I reckon things said quietly, directly and seriously carry more weight with staff than when you “lose it”. When you lose it, you’ve lost it.
I used to have a boss that got so angry he would literally foam at the mouth and spit. On one occasion he lost it and I thought what an idiot. His words had no impact whatsoever.

Departing Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin focused on Broncos not Wests Tigers
Peter Badel
The Courier-Mail
September 13, 2014 12:00AM

Axed Broncos coach Anthony Griffin has played down speculation he is set to replace besieged counterpart Mick Potter at the Wests Tigers. The Tigers board will meet on Wednesday, where Potter is tipped to have the final year of his contract rescinded after months of debate about his future at the club. Should Potter be sacked, St Helens coach Nathan Brown has emerged as a possible replacement, while Griffin has also piqued the interest of Wests Tigers powerbrokers. But ahead of Saturday’s sudden-death Queensland derby clash against the Cowboys, the departing Broncos mentor denied having been sounded out by the joint-venture club.

“I thought I was getting a job in the media,” Griffin quipped. “No, I haven’t heard from the Tigers. “I’m worried about the Broncos at the moment and beating the Cowboys (on Saturday) and if we do that we will worry about the next week.” Griffin has previously attracted the attention of NRL rivals, with two NSW-based clubs expressing interest after he steered Brisbane to the grand-final qualifier in 2011. At the time, Griffin stayed loyal, agreeing to a three-year extension, which was cut short by 12 months in July when he was sacked for 2015 in favour of master coach Wayne Bennett. Should Griffin secure the Tigers post, it is understood his Broncos assistant Kristian Woolf could travel south.

@Newtown:

Departing Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin focused on Broncos not Wests Tigers
Peter Badel
The Courier-Mail
September 13, 2014 12:00AM

Axed Broncos coach Anthony Griffin has played down speculation he is set to replace besieged counterpart Mick Potter at the Wests Tigers. The Tigers board will meet on Wednesday, where Potter is tipped to have the final year of his contract rescinded after months of debate about his future at the club.

Umm he is already on the final year of his contract.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.