Crowds v stadia

• Read a good article recently about why Los Angeles didn’t have an NFL team. Response was that there wasn’t a suitable stadium. What was there was too big!

The guts of the argument was that stadia should be built to match to forecast number of members that a club could potentially attract. If it is too big then the stadium will attract “walk in” spectators. The optimum number of seats a stadium should have should match the optimum number of paying club members.

The overall aim is to have a full stadium for each home game. Full of paying, season ticketed members. Complete with a members waiting list.

Obviously, this works in the USA because of their much larger population base. But I can understand the logic. It just means that we need a stadium of only 10,000 seat capacity.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

• I think its a bit hard to judge crowds over the past season CQ

Virtually every game at Leichhardt and Campbelltown has been affected by weather this season

Lets see what happens after some better weather and scheduling

LA (apart from the Lakers ) hasn’t really taken to any of their teams until they are winning

Even the Dodgers have struggled

• @happy tiger:

I think its a bit hard to judge crowds over the past season CQ

Virtually every game at Leichhardt and Campbelltown has been affected by weather this season

Lets see what happens after some better weather and scheduling

LA (apart from the Lakers ) hasn’t really taken to any of their teams until they are winning

Even the Dodgers have struggled

Weather nothing to do with the 10,000 figure Happy. That’s about how many members we have

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

• Sorry CQ I get your point now

Problem is we are two entities and our fan base is spread over a huge area of not only Sydney but Australia

Based on that the biggest stadium would be about 40000 for any side ??

Concept outside of the box , that’s for sure

Just wondering (and I was only thinking this this morning ) is do opposition NFL sides travel to watch their sides play in big numbers ??

• @Happy and Cqtiger,completely understand both of your opinions,I have been lucky to be at Campbelltown Stadium in the last say 4 years,twice when it was at 19’000 and once at 21’000 a very good atmosphere to say the least.I think if the team is winning you will get many more people supporting the team who aren’t paying members who just want to get out there and enjoy a good game of football.Also the opposition supporters will travel,depending on a Sydney based side because of the close proximity,a bit harder for Qld or the Melb supporters.Liechard is a fantastic atmosphere when at capacity,just to sum up I think winning culture really affects crowds at stadiums,and although it is nice to be a member,the walk in supporters are just as important to gate takings and merchandise sales…this is only my thoughts and in no way do I critise your comments… 😃 😃

• It’s an interesting concept… Build a stadium roughly the size of your membership base, to discourage walk ins, thereby encouraging membership. We obviously don’t have the crowd bases in the nrl for this work, but it’s interesting none-the-less

• Double headers are the path in the future in my opinion

Been saying it for a long time

Recent Topics