Potter Gone - Contract Not renewed! Official!

• @happy tiger:

Does anyone have Potter’s email address

I wouldn’t mind sending an email of condolence and thanks

He was a class act and deserved better

Judging by the last six weeks, they’ll have taken his keys, changed the locks and seized his hard drive by now…

• Feel sorry for Potter,but his early season team selections left a lot of players comfortable in their position instead of nervous,this would not have aided our cause later when the injuries rolled in.
    Potter seemed to be only able to motivate 4 or 5 players,the rest just seemed to be going through the motions,other teams with big injury lists at least were all trying,our team were not all trying.
    And this is the killer thing for Potter,why would the CEO and board think that these same players will miraculously start playing for the same coach next year,this isn’t all Potter’s fault,but he owns some of it.
    Good luck in the future Mick,thanks for your effort over a troubling 2 years.

• If we did take Folkes , I reckon it will be hard to find an experienced GM that will work well with him

Unless of course he is the GM with Parish under him.

Stop Blaspheming you blasphemer

The only thing Parish should be under is the wheels of the bus that’s about to drive past

The Mr Hadley express to white trash revenge trailer park….

• http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/axed-wests-tigers-coach-mick-potter-could-end-up-at-st-george-illawarra-dragons-20140917-10id47.html#ixzz3DZLEh0U0

Axed Wests Tigers coach Mick Potter could end up at St George Illawarra Dragons
    Date
    September 17, 2014 - 6:56PM
    7 reading nowComments 3 Read later
    Adrian Proszenko
    Adrian Proszenko
    Chief Rugby League Reporter
    View more articles from Adrian Proszenko
    Follow Adrian on Twitter Email Adrian

inShare
    submit to redditEmail articlePrintReprints & permissions

Out of a job: Mick Potter.
    Out of a job: Mick Potter. Photo: Getty Images
    Mick Potter could relaunch his coaching career at St George Illawarra as Wests Tigers begin their search for his replacement.

The Tigers ended months of speculation by announcing they would not be renewing Potter’s contract.

The most likely candidates for the job are assistant coaches David Kidwell and Todd Payten, former Brisbane mentor Anthony Griffin, Roosters assistant Jason Taylor, St Helens’ Nathan Brown, NSW assistant Matt Parish and former Titans boss John Cartwright. A subcommittee of the new Tigers board has been charged with drawing up a shortlist of candidates, with about half a dozen expected to be invited for an interview.

Significantly, the successful applicant will be given complete control over the appointment of key football staff and the playing roster, something Potter never enjoyed during his tenure.

Advertisement
    Tigers chief executive Grant Mayer sat down with Potter for an hour on Wednesday morning to inform him of the decision. While Potter will take time to digest the news, it is understood he could soon be back in the coaching ranks at another joint-venture outfit, as the Dragons are understood to be looking for a new assistant to the recently installed head coach Paul McGregor. Craig Young and Ian Millward are the present deputies at the Dragons but a complete review of football operations is being undertaken.

Potter has a rich history at the Red V, having won one of his two Dally M medals there in 1991. He also coached the club’s Premier League side for four years, a period in which the side enjoyed premiership glory.

However, that did not translate into success at the Tigers, where his two-year stint was cruelled by a horror injury toll and instability in the boardroom, which resulted in continued speculation about his future. Not even three separate presentations to the board over the past six weeks, in which the former fullback presented his blueprint for the club’s future, was enough to save him.

The Tigers resolved to appoint Potter’s successor no later than October 27, with a view to commencing pre-season training on November 3. The fact Kidwell and Payten are also off contract means whoever gets the gig can assemble their own team without being shackled to incumbent staff.

There has been a push for Griffin, who is available now that his Broncos commitments are over, but other candidates also have claims. Kidwell is respected by the playing group, while Taylor has a rich history with the Magpies, a factor that could play a role because of the recent power shift towards the Western Suburbs side of the joint venture. Brown and Parish were considered the last time the job was available, while Payten is tipped to miss out and instead link with former Canberra teammate Andrew McFadden at the Warriors.

“He [Potter] inherited a really tough job and has always given his best,” Mayer said.

"But it got to the stage where the board and management had to make a decision for the long-term benefit of the club.

“That’s been very hard on Mick in particular but … I have no doubt that Mick Potter will find another coaching gig at another club.”

Asked if Potter was hamstrung by not being in charge of key on- and off-field appointments, Mayer said: “Definitely in his first year he came on very late and inherited some of the staff that were here … With Mick’s involvement in recruitment and retention we’ve retained a lot of good, young players.”

Wests Tigers’ targets

Jason Taylor

Anthony Griffin

David Kidwell

Todd Payten

Nathan Brown

John Cartwright

Matt Parish

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/axed-wests-tigers-coach-mick-potter-could-end-up-at-st-george-illawarra-dragons-20140917-10id47.html#ixzz3DaE0eODB

• Banned

@guyofthetiger:

If we did take Folkes , I reckon it will be hard to find an experienced GM that will work well with him

Unless of course he is the GM with Parish under him.

Stop Blaspheming you blasphemer

The only thing Parish should be under is the wheels of the bus that’s about to drive past

The Mr Hadley express to white trash revenge trailer park….

Isnt that comment a tad racist?Whats being white have to do with all this?

• Not one praise by any player on twitter

Not even a good luck potts or anything

• Banned

This is pissing me off everyone in the media radio papers etc are saying potter has been sacked etc he was not sacked in my eyes his contract was just not renewed the end

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

• @MAFIA,ok technically his contract was not renewed,however before the Dragons game he was going to be SACKED,this is what people remember quite clearly…… :bash

• Banned

@TrueTiger:

@MAFIA,ok technically his contract was not renewed,however before the Dragons game he was going to be SACKED,this is what people remember quite clearly…… :bash

I understand true tiger but the bloke wasn’t sacked had he been sacked mid contract fair enough but he fulfilled his contract obligations to the club and that troll of a paper DT just makes headlines SACKED potter pisses me off

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

• Banned

Of the list above my order would be

Taylor
    Cartwright
    Brown
    Griffin

• Banned

@king sirro:

Of the list above my order would be

Taylor
    Cartwright
    Brown
    Griffin

Im generally against hiring any former Balmain or Wests players in roles in the JV to get away from old allegiances however Jason Taylor could be a shrewd aquisition in the sense that at one time he was Campbelltowns favorite son firstly with St Gregs then some pretty successful Wests teams.He could be the one guy who could help bring back those alienated from the rapidly growing macarthur region who feel let down by a lack of presene in the merger.He has had some success at coaching Nrl and you would have to think that as a former half he would work wonders with Brooks and Moses.However please dont bring any ex magpies as assistants etc we need fresh ideas from people with no vested interest other than the :sign: :sign:

• Banned

Also Jerry, I’m a believer that guys who had to work to get everything out of their ability to even play NRL make the best coaches…and I feel Taylor was someone who had to do this as he wasn’t blessed with great physical attributes. But he worked very hard, studied the game and his own game, and succeeded as a result where more talented players have failed.

• Banned

@king sirro:

Also Jerry, I’m a believer that guys who had to work to get everything out of their ability to even play NRL make the best coaches…and I feel Taylor was someone who had to do this as he wasn’t blessed with great physical attributes. But he worked very hard, studied the game and his own game, and succeeded as a result where more talented players have failed.

Where definitely on the same page here King Sirro.Two other fine examples?none other than Geoff Toovey and Des Hasler.

• Toovey not blessed ?? Your kidding right ??

The guy was one of the quickest things on two legs over 20 metres

• The proof is in the past

Folkes was here when we had our two best finishes since 2005 , no coincidence that’s for sure

Recent Topics