TV: The Recruit

• Anyone watch it?
    Finished up last night.

AFL show.
    Be interested to see what happens with the winner.

Do you think there could ever be an NRL version?

Thought it was weird that they said he could pick his club but only 3 clubs opted to draft instead of all of the 18…

Early on I thought Ryan Semmel & Nathan Jackal were top 3 and potential winners but they did not last long.
    The deserving winner won in the end

• I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure there’s an NRL version coming out either late this year or early next, with Ricky Stuart as the coach.

• AFL draft is very complex

Many swap trades for possible players that they might need to bolster their rosters who are off contract

• @Fraze23:

I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure there’s an NRL version coming out either late this year or early next, with Ricky Stuart as the coach.

Yep Ive heard similar but thought it was meant to be this year

• ForumSupporter

Real recruit
    Posted on 01 May 2014. Tags: news
    NRL coach Ricky Stuart will be the face of a new reality TV series to be based in Armidale.
    By MATT NICHOLLS

ARMIDALE will unearth a new NRL player when it hosts filming of a new reality TV show featuring former Australian and NSW coach Ricky Stuart. The University of New England, with the backing of Armidale Dumaresq Council, won the bid to have the show, titled The Coach, filmed in Armidale.

The Coach will see 13 rugby league hopefuls do battle for an NRL contract. The show has the backing of the NRL and several high profile players. The show’s contestants, who are already talented rugby league players, will be put through a number of gruelling challenges to impress Stuart, the current coach of the Canberra Raiders.

The show will air on Fox Sports and be replayed half a dozen times each week. Filming will start in October and the show is likely to start airing in late November. The joint initiative between UNE and the council to secure the filming was no mean feat in a highly competitive bidding process. “Armidale won out in the end because of our state-of-the-art sporting and campus facilities at UNE, our proximity to national parks, and our location as a thriving regional centre,” UNE Life’s interim chief executive David Schmude said.

“The reality TV show will be a vehicle to showcase UNE’s sporting academic programmes and facilities as well as its on-campus college experience. “The contestants and crew will stay at the new Wright College. “Armidale is in an enviable position for a regional centre with sporting facilities that rival many of the big cities in Australia.

“I think it really was a ‘no brainer’ for the producers of the show to choose Armidale. “Ricky knows Armidale and UNE well from his time with the Eels and enjoyed his time here.” Armidale Dumaresq Council’s economic development, tourism and marketing manager Tony Broomfield said the national exposure presented the opportunity to showcase Armidale’s many assets.

“There will be an opportunity for engagement at the local level with the mentors, coach and participants, while the crew are here for the month of October filming the series of challenges,” he said. “We should also note the economic benefits flowing to local businesses from this activity, perhaps from their involvement in some of the challenges.
    “This has has been a great year thus far with Armidale achieving widespread national media coverage after being voted the third hottest destination by Australian Traveller magazine.”
    It’s believed the winner of the TV show will be given a $75,000 contract with an NRL club, which would be exempt from the salary cap.

The Raiders, Bulldogs, Roosters, Panthers and Storm are believed to be the clubs interested in attracting the signature of the winner.

http://armidale.starcommunity.com.au/independent/2014-05-01/real-recruit/

Starts in October I think

• It’s all based around the A-League show they have 5-6 years ago called Football Superstar. That was a much better show than the AFL one, had more general entertainment value for those who weren’t football fans too.

So they’ll get a bunch of kids to try out all over the country with the top 20 to go to Armidale to be coached by Ricky Stuart? Sounds like a prison sentence. Armidale and Stuart??! The winner gets an NYC contract? I might watch a bit of it, but it all sounds a bit lame and forced.

• Bottom line says it all

Bulldogs ,Roosters and Storm are interested in getting a free player

Like they need another foot up

Wouldn’t it be fairer to give the player to the team that finished 16th

Or will that then start tanking ??

• Apparently the show was scrapped when people pulled out after hearing Ricky Stuart would be the coach.

• I couldn’t see an NRL version being anything like the AFL one with all clubs involved.
    Makes sense if it’s just the stinky Raiders trying to source a player.

Would be good, can think of a few local boys (Not NRL players but came close) who would go well on it.
    Would love an NRL version, would be sick.

There was a boxing show like this too once,The Contender?

• I thought the Recruit was a great show. Really enjoyed watching it each week. Strange though that in the end the clubs voted in the winner, yet only 3 of them wanted to draft him. Great concept, would be good to see an NRL show like it.

• @Demps:

I couldn’t see an NRL version being anything like the AFL one with all clubs involved.

Would be good, can think of a few local boys (Not NRL players but came close) who would go well on it.

Wasn’t Stallone involved in some way Demps

• It might be a way to finally offload MOLTZEN !
    Dye his hair /grow a beard / fake tan !
    "The Recruit " !

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

• @Demps:

I couldn’t see an NRL version being anything like the AFL one with all clubs involved.

I’m positive the winner of that series (boxing) got to fight mundine ? And he put mundine on his arse !

• ForumSupporter

@hobbo2803:

@Demps:

I’m positive the winner of that series (boxing) got to fight mundine ? And he put mundine on his arse !

Garth Wood …Ex Tiger

• @Geo.:

@hobbo2803:

@Demps:

Garth Wood …Ex Tiger

That’s right ! Brain cloud removed ! Thx ego .

Recent Topics