I don't get the Folkes hype

• I’m not saying those people are wrong. It’s interesting to see the different opinions on who would best suit the club.

No doubt Folkes was at the club the 2 seasons where we finished in the Top 4. From memory he was in charge of the strength and conditioning program and had some input on our defence. No doubt he added value and his was proven even more when he left and results went down hill.

However I can’t get it out of my head that he has not coached first grade since 2007-8. That is a long time out of the game as a head coach. If he was such a great head coach I reckon he might have had a few more offers since that time. Like Sheens other clubs have not even considered him. I could be wrong and he might be great but he left Canterbury on a big low and has not really been seen on the scene since.

I would be all for bringing him in the strength and conditioning or the defensive of the game however would be reluctant to go all in and make him head coach. However in saying that if it is a choice between Parish, Payten and Folkes I would take Folkes!!!

• if you watched Folkesy’s tackle on Graeme Wynn head on in one of the grand finals back in the 80’s - trust me - you’d understand the hype.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

• @Eddie:

I’m not saying those people are wrong. It’s interesting to see the different opinions on who would best suit the club.

No doubt Folkes was at the club the 2 seasons where we finished in the Top 4. From memory he was in charge of the strength and conditioning program and had some input on our defence. No doubt he added value and his was proven even more when he left and results went down hill.

However I can’t get it out of my head that he has not coached first grade since 2007-8. That is a long time out of the game as a head coach. If he was such a great head coach I reckon he might have had a few more offers since that time. Like Sheens other clubs have not even considered him. I could be wrong and he might be great but he left Canterbury on a big low and has not really been seen on the scene since.

I would be all for bringing him in the strength and conditioning or the defensive of the game however would be reluctant to go all in and make him head coach. However in saying that if it is a choice between Parish, Payten and Folkes I would take Folkes!!!

I don’t think anyone on this forum is hyping him up - it just seems like the media are running with a rumour that he is well in the mix - the question is where did they get this information. We might have got rid of the coach but it seems we can’t plug the leaks.

• Banned

Its just like the austin hype and the farah and Mayer hatred… flavour of the month based on no fact.

• @AmericanHistoryX:

if you watched Folkesy’s tackle on Graeme Wynn head on in one of the grand finals back in the 80’s - trust me - you’d understand the hype.

Folks is old school … He’s a hard task master who takes no prisoners , just what this team of plodders need IMO .

• Banned

The only time WT had any decent defence was when Folkes was with us those 2 years - hell I’d have him back just for that reason alone! I’m sick of supporting a team that can’t defend to save their lives.

• Iam with Eddie,we do not need a coach from past, we need a coach who up to date with what is happening now

• Banned

I dont see any team racing to sign Sheenius up…why…he is a dinosaur…

Folkes is from the same era and the same mould… no thanks!

• I think the Folkes horse as bolted. Hasn’t been a head coach for almost 10 yrs. Need someone whose a little more modern. Griffin, Taylor or Brown i’d take.

• Why the hell did the broncos sign up the oldest fart in the league? What the hell would he know?

Go figure.

• Make him GM , but he needs to be in a senior position somewhere within our club to put these ladies back in their box when they get unruly

• Banned

@happy tiger:

Make him GM , but he needs to be in a senior position somewhere within our club to put these ladies back in their box when they get unruly

Huh? 😕

• OK already,everyone gets the old school theory about coaching the modern game,but people like Folkes Sheens and even Lang knew how to play our game…HARD and take no prisoners…we have to adapt and in saying that,most on this forum don’t understand the rules week to week ,hell I can’t even follow the changes from one game to the next,what we need is one key ingredient to be successful and that is DISIPLINE, something that is lacking from the modern game,and especially from our great club.The coach is the coach what he says goes,he answers to the CEO, he answers to the board.We need our players to answer to the new coach,not Robbie or anyone else except the coach.The CEO answers to the board and leaves the coaching to the coach,the assistants answer to the coach not the CEO and maybe we will be on the path of the true success we are destined for,the rubbish in our club must stop or we will forever be in the NRL wilderness… :brick: :brick:

• @TrueTiger:

OK already,everyone gets the old school theory about coaching the modern game,but people like Folkes Sheens and even Lang knew how to play our game…HARD and take no prisoners…we have to adapt and in saying that,most on this forum don’t understand the rules week to week ,hell I can’t even follow the changes from one game to the next,what we need is one key ingredient to be successful and that is DISIPLINE, something that is lacking from the modern game,and especially from our great club.The coach is the coach what he says goes,he answers to the CEO, he answers to the board.We need our players to answer to the new coach,not Robbie or anyone else except the coach.The CEO answers to the board and leaves the coaching to the coach,the assistants answer to the coach not the CEO and maybe we will be on the path of the true success we are destined for,the rubbish in our club must stop or we will forever be in the NRL wilderness… :brick: :brick:

You’ve missed one important thing TT ….
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• @Flippedy:

@happy tiger:

Make him GM , but he needs to be in a senior position somewhere within our club to put these ladies back in their box when they get unruly

Huh? 😕

The 17 ladies we pick every week that aren’t as pretty as the cheerleaders

Recent Topics