General Manager to be announced before Coach Decision

• September 18, 2014 - 10:00PM
    Roy Masters
    Rugby League Columnist

If governance is the special skill set of Wests Tigers’ recently appointed trio of independent directors, they have already failed with the process to appoint their coach.

The board will choose the coach, yet the chief executive, Grant Mayer, will decide who fills the newly created role of general manager – football, a powerful position with a $13 million budget. The coach will answer to the general manager, who will be responsible for all matters rugby league, from the junior representatives, under 20s, State Cup teams, recruitment, retention to the salary cap. The coach’s sole responsibility is the NRL team. In other words, the CEO chooses the Mr Football, who oversees the coach, who is selected by the board, which appoints the CEO.

Wests Tigers have therefore made another smart decision by deciding the general manager of football will be installed before the board selects the coach. Mayer says the former appointment will be announced at the grand-final lunch and the coach chosen in late October.

The Wests Tigers board would presumably identify a coach who would be willing to report to the football boss, suggesting the club’s next clipboard carrier will be a rookie.

• Banned

I don’t really get the insinuations in that piece.

The GM should be picked before the coach is. And the GM should have a huge say in who is appointed coach.

The only problem I have is that Mayer is choosing the GM. Change that part and I see no issues.

• Still all sounds a bit dodgy to me,certainly no stern decisions or stability,more like buckpassing to me… 😕 😕

• According to the Roy Masters report the Wests Tigers board, due to the new structure, would identify a coach who would be willing to report to the football boss, suggesting that the club’s next new coach will be a rookie.
    The report therefore appears to be insinuating that the next coach will be either Parish, Brown or Taylor.

• ForumSupporter

@king sirro:

I don’t really get the insinuations in that piece.

The GM should be picked before the coach is. And the GM should have a huge say in who is appointed coach.

The only problem I have is that Mayer is choosing the GM. Change that part and I see no issues.

Exactly…I don’t see how Roy comes to the conclusion that it will be a rookie coach when in fact the new GM position will be the first of it’s kind as far as Wests Tigers are concerned…Experience in both positions is what is required as the GM’s role is not to “Coach” the NRL team…

• @Newtown:

September 18, 2014 - 10:00PM
    Roy Masters
    Rugby League Columnist

If governance is the special skill set of Wests Tigers’ recently appointed trio of independent directors, they have already failed with the process to appoint their coach.

The board will choose the coach, yet the chief executive, Grant Mayer, will decide who fills the newly created role of general manager – football, a powerful position with a $13 million budget. The coach will answer to the general manager, who will be responsible for all matters rugby league, from the junior representatives, under 20s, State Cup teams, recruitment, retention to the salary cap. The coach’s sole responsibility is the NRL team. In other words, the CEO chooses the Mr Football, who oversees the coach, who is selected by the board, which appoints the CEO.

Wests Tigers have therefore made another smart decision by deciding the general manager of football will be installed before the board selects the coach. Mayer says the former appointment will be announced at the grand-final lunch and the coach chosen in late October.

The Wests Tigers board would presumably identify a coach who would be willing to report to the football boss, suggesting the club’s next clipboard carrier will be a rookie.

That’s exactly what’s happening
    But I don’t know about rookie
    The board has made no decisions yet

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

• The GM Role is already decided by that piece… That is very quick???

FYI, Nathan Brown is not a Rookie Coach. He has had 6 Years NRL Experience, reaching the Finals on 4 occasions. This is the Bloke we need!

• Yes, I think he’s off on the rookie coach theory.

Hmm GM is going to have to be a league person and not an outsider. Who could it be?

• could it be tim sheens he settled his case with us .the gm has to know rugby league from the grass roots up I would say they have a fair idea who will get the job .if I was in the shoes of mayer the first bloke I would sound out would be mr massey he has forgot more than anyone in league ,I don’t think he is in good health but he would point us to the right man for the job.

• I can see where they are coming from, a coach who has had total control would probably balk at having to be answerable to a GM of Football. In saying that Cleary doesn’t seem to have to much problems with the set up at Penrith.

I thinks like most things at the Tigers it will be about money,we now have two wages instead of one. So I think they will punt on a rookie. I would imagine what they are probably offering will narrow the field big time, hard to imagine BRown or Griffin up rooting for peanuts, Taylor would be on pretty good coin at the chooks even in a assistants role. To me all the signs are pointing to Parish,Kidwell or Payten. As for the GM,s, job I have no idea.

• Banned

Kevin Moore would be a good GM

• Both jobs, the candidates will have to be able to get on with Mayer and that will thin the ranks. Okay in the job description it has the coach answering to the GM of football operations and the GM of football and answering to the board, but in reality Mayer will between both of them and the board. As we have seen he loves power and if I was a coach of some standing I think I would give the Tigers a wide berth and wait for another chance or wait till the next coach falls on his sword next year, because it is likely to happen with our CEO still running the show

• ye i think the board should be the main people involved in picking a coach and GM. CEO should stick to financials as far as im concerned at least for now.

• There seems to be a bit of confusion about the NRL coaches role and the new GMoFO role.

Yes, the coach will officially report to the GMoFO but he will have final say about any and all issues in regards to the NRL team. The GMoFO main role is to oversee all the levels of football with the aim to ensure the success at all those levels which should ensure a successful NRL side.

Obviously, if these 2 people don’t see eye to eye then we will still be a basket case.

It’s no different to any business; the operations manager (I am loathe to say CEO here) sets the strategic business plan but shouldn’t interfere with the production manager’s running of the production department.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

• Tim Sheens is our man for GM, in my opinion. He has an unmatched record on bringing young players on and developing them, and therefore the club’s personnel assets.

IMO he would need to agree to stand down as Australian coach.

Recent Topics