Nathan Brown to interview for Wests Tigers coach via video

• DAVID RICCIO CHIEF SPORTS WRITER
    The Sunday Telegraph
    September 21, 2014 12:00AM

THE Wests Tigers’ plan to replace Mick Potter will take its most significant step on Sunday when St Helens coach Nathan Brown is interviewed for the vacant position.

Brown is one of eight coaches set to be interviewed to replace Potter, who was sacked last Wednesday after 22 months at the helm of the merged-club.

Other coaches on a short-list drawn up by the new Wests Tigers board, including former Broncos mentor Anthony Griffin, Jason Taylor and David Kidwell, are also set to be interviewed. Former Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has also been mentioned as a possible ­contender for the position.

At 29, Brown was one of the youngest men to coach in the NRL when the club’s former hooker took over the Dragons — he would spend six seasons in charge.Brown, who ironically was anointed on Saturday by Potter as someone he would like see get the job, has spent the past six years plying his trade in the UK Super League with success, taking former club Huddersfield to the 2009 Challenge Cup final. This year, he guided St Helens to the minor premiership.

“I think all the names that have been tossed up would be good for the organisation,’’ Potter said. “But I know Nathan pretty well and I think his experience, now that he’s been at Saints and Huddersfield with that time — he’s had to develop as a coach and he would do a great job.’’

Brown is expected to appear before the Tigers management in Sydney via a video hook-up from the UK.

Wests Tigers chief executive Grant Mayer said in a press statement when announcing Potter’s termination that the club wants to appoint a new coach no later than ­October 27.

• Good luck to whoever is the new coach and as has been said before as long it isn’t one from the boys club then I will be pleased……

Independant Board …Independant Coach,sounds pretty logical…
    🙏 :sign:

• @Newtown:

Brown is one of eight coaches set to be interviewed to replace Potter, who was sacked last Wednesday after 22 months at the helm of the merged-club.

Other coaches on a short-list drawn up by the new Wests Tigers board, including former Broncos mentor Anthony Griffin, Jason Taylor and David Kidwell, are also set to be interviewed. Former Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has also been mentioned as a possible ­contender for the position.

I’m not usually one to point out rubbish like this, but are they kidding? There are 8 candidates lined up for interview, but only name 5, one of which has only ‘‘been mentioned as a possible contender for the position’’.

What inept journalism, how you can take any of the article seriously after that.

• You shouldnt have taken it too seriously BEFORE that

• So my guess is the 8 are

Nathan Brown
    Jason Taylor
    Matt Parish
    Steve Folkes
    Anthony Griffin
    David Kidwell
    John Cartwright
    Garth Brennan

• @Boonboon2:

So my guess is the 8 are

Nathan Brown
    Jason Taylor
    Matt Parish
    Steve Folkes
    Anthony Griffin
    David Kidwell
    John Cartwright
    Garth Brennan

Jesus Christ when did Cartwright come into the mix ?? No thanks !

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

• @Boonboon2:

So my guess is the 8 are

Nathan Brown
    Jason Taylor
    Matt Parish
    Steve Folkes
    Anthony Griffin
    David Kidwell
    John Cartwright
    Garth Brennan

I know the talk says otherwise , but something tells me Todd Payten is still in the mix

Maybe even trying to deflect a little bit of attention from his possible selection

• ForumSupporter

@hobbo2803:

Jesus Christ when did Cartwright come into the mix ?? No thanks !

Even with him on the list I think we’ll struggle….

The more I think about it the more I’m hoping Brown gets it but wouldn’t be upset if Brennan got the gig…we need fresh eyes…

• ❓ Cartwright Nooooooo. Who is Garth Brennan?

• @ferret:

❓ Cartwright Nooooooo. Who is Garth Brennan?

Panthers nsw cup coach… Both Gould and cleary have big raps on him .

• :sign: thanks hobbo2803

• If Kidwell gets it I’m finished with this club!

• @Snowy:

If Kidwell gets it I’m finished with this club!

Hopefully he won’t,but he would be better than Parish,me I want Griffin,but Taylor or Brown would be ok also.

• Wow not much choice around!

• @happy tiger:

@Boonboon2:

So my guess is the 8 are

Nathan Brown
    Jason Taylor
    Matt Parish
    Steve Folkes
    Anthony Griffin
    David Kidwell
    John Cartwright
    Garth Brennan

I know the talk says otherwise , but something tells me Todd Payten is still in the mix

Maybe even trying to deflect a little bit of attention from his possible selection

Yes I think you are right Happy.
    Knowing how journalists work in particular Mayer’s mate Adrian Proszenko I have no doubt that story was put out to deflect attention away from Payten.

Recent Topics