Balmain off Tigers board, but will help pick new coach

• BALMAIN directors will be officially removed from Wests Tigers board tomorrow but the foundation club will still play a part in the appointment of a new coach after an agreement was struck giving the cash-strapped shareholder a say in key appointments at the joint venture. Chairwoman Marina Go confirmed an agreement had been reached that would see Balmain continue to wield influence over key appointments at Wests Tigers.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/balmain-off-tigers-board-but-will-help-pick-new-coach/story-fnca0von-1227067023947#

• seen someone ask Marina Q about snippet in article
    @brentread_7 @marinasgo Marina, pls advise how a non-financial entity being removed from the board can still ‘wield influence’ on decisions?

Marina Go response
    @ColinIson @brentread_7 no longer about ‘wielding influence’. Decisions will be made professionally in the interests of both shareholders

@marinasgo @brentread_7 thanks for taking the time to respond Marina. Appreciated. Balmain are stakeholders until the debt is called in?

Marina Go response
    @ColinIson @brentread_7 that’s right and my role as Chair is to keep shareholders informed. Thank you for caring about the #weststigers

• It goes on to say Balmain have 12 months to repay their debt. 17th Sept to be exact which means right in the middle of the semis. So if we do make the semi’s the players will have a nice distraction again.

You’d think a deadline after the season would have been better.

• @gallagher:

It goes on to say Balmain have 12 months to repay their debt. Interesting developments

Can you post the rest Gallagher? That’s all I could see when i had a captain cook at their website

• BALMAIN directors will be officially removed from Wests Tigers board tomorrow but the foundation club will still play a part in the appointment of a new coach after an agreement was struck giving the cash-strapped shareholder a say in key appointments at the joint venture.

Chairwoman Marina Go confirmed an agreement had been reached that would see Balmain continue to wield influence over key appointments at Wests Tigers.

The first of those will be the naming of a coach to replace Mick Potter next season, with the board to meet on Thursday to discuss the recommendation of the subcommittee charged with finding a new coach.

“The selection committee absolutely agreed that they should have representation from both shareholders,” Go said.

“The board is committed to including Balmain, a shareholder, in the decision around key appointments, even when the two Balmain directors are no longer on the board.

“It is in everyone’s best interests to keep Balmain as a shareholder of Wests Tigers. And so Balmain will absolutely have a say in the new coach.”

While Balmain will continue to play a role in the Tigers, the clock is ticking after papers were signed last week calling on the foundation club to meet its commitments within 12 months.

Under the terms of the NRL bailout of the Tigers, money was injected into the club and three independent directors were appointed, including Go.

The NRL initially insisted Balmain would be given until March 2016 to meet its financial requirements but that timeline has now been revised, meaning the club has until September 17 next year.

Should Balmain be unable to find the funds, the parties will enter a three-month negotiation period during which they may be forced to sell their share.

More immediately, Balmain will play a role as the Tigers prepare to decide on the new coach. St Helens coach Nathan Brown and former Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin were the leading candidates, although Roosters assistant Jason Taylor was also mooted as a contender.

• good man, I make Happy look like Bill Gates 😲

• Should Balmain be unable to find the funds, the parties will enter a three-month negotiation period during which they may be forced to sell their share.

Would they be able to sell their share to whoever they want?
    i.e. can they sell to Triguboff?

• @Sabre:

Should Balmain be unable to find the funds, the parties will enter a three-month negotiation period during which they may be forced to sell their share.

I doubt Harry would be interested to be honest mate … He wasn’t engaged with the proposed re- development of the new club and his mate sheens got the arse .
    He’s even said he’ll only be the major sponsor until the club can find a new sponsor .

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

• ForumSupporter

I believe Wests get first option at Balmain’s ‘share’

• @hobbo2803:

@Sabre:

I doubt Harry would be interested to be honest mate … He wasn’t engaged with the proposed re- development of the new club and his mate sheens got the arse .
    He’s even said he’ll only be the major sponsor until the club can find a new sponsor .

This quote from him last year makes me think otherwise:

He maintained he would not pull his financial investment out of the club unless the Tigers found a replacement.

‘‘They’ll definitely sort it out,’’ he said. ''We have young kids coming up which are very good, we have new management, so I hope everything will be OK. But I think that … I’ll always be there.
    ‘‘If they can’t find anyone, I’m always there. But if they can find somebody who really understands football better than I do … I don’t understand much … I like it, I love it, I look at it. So if they can, they can. If not, I’m always there for them anyway.’’

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/wests-tigers-lurch-from-bad-to-worse-in-cash-crisis-20130829-2stnn.html

• @Sabre:

@hobbo2803:

@Sabre:

This quote from him last year makes me think otherwise:

He maintained he would not pull his financial investment out of the club unless the Tigers found a replacement.

‘‘They’ll definitely sort it out,’’ he said. ''We have young kids coming up which are very good, we have new management, so I hope everything will be OK. But I think that … I’ll always be there.
    ‘‘If they can’t find anyone, I’m always there. But if they can find somebody who really understands football better than I do … I don’t understand much … I like it, I love it, I look at it. So if they can, they can. If not, I’m always there for them anyway.’’

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/wests-tigers-lurch-from-bad-to-worse-in-cash-crisis-20130829-2stnn.html

They’re ya go … Maybe there is some hope after all !

• @gallagher:

It goes on to say Balmain have 12 months to repay their debt. 17th Sept to be exact which means right in the middle of the semis. So if we do make the semi’s the players will have a nice distraction again.

You’d think a deadline after the season would have been better.

You’re not wrong there!

• So does this now mean that we have to get agreement between THREE groups ( Wests, Balmain and the NRL ) to select a coach and football manager. . Hope it works, or it looks like we could be in for some interesting times.
    As Gallagher said, this time for Balmain to pay is right in the middle of the Semis. Not only that, but 3months is allowed to sort it out, so let’s hope it’s not a bunfight, or it could affect any negotiations with any new players we are after. Great timing

• @goldcoast tiger:

So does this now mean that we have to get agreement between THREE groups ( Wests, Balmain and the NRL ) to select a coach and football manager. . Hope it works, or it looks like we could be in for some interesting times.
    As Gallagher said, this time for Balmain to pay is right in the middle of the Semis. Not only that, but 3months is allowed to sort it out, so let’s hope it’s not a bunfight, or it could affect any negotiations with any new players we are after. Great timing

Re the new coach and GM of Football, the way I read it is that the board is most likely to accept the recommendation of the sub committee but I don’t know how they’ll get it all done by Thursday, as speculated in the article.

I just hope that they can find a balance between giving the applicants proper consideration and getting the jobs filled as early as possible.

• The western suburbs side and the NRL are trying to be as diplomatic as possible in the hope they dont lose the Balmain fan base when everything goes pear shaped. Its been widely documented that Balmain has no chance of paying off the debt before next September. The NRL knows the JV will fall apart within 12 months if they are relying on the western suburbs fans and a few of the remaining Balmain fans turning up to games. There are already a large bunch of fans who are turning away in light of the news that the Balmain side is going to be dissolved. As we get closer to the deadline there will be a lot more i dare say. Either way the NRL wins. If the wests tigers can manage to attract a fan base then all good and well, but if not then its the perfect excuse to move the team out of an area that has demolished league with soccer and AFL. After all the rubbish that fans have put up with this year you can understand a lot of people losing patience. Ive been a season ticket holder for 25 years as a WT and Balmain supporter. I take my family to most games every winter, but im a wests tigers fan, not a western suburbs fan. If the Balmain identity is removed i will not be supporting yet another hybrid of my team. The NRL can stick it where the sun dont shine.

Recent Topics