Melbourne Storm coach Bellamy sings David Kidwell's pr

• DateSeptember 25, 2014 - 10:00PM 23 reading now
    Adrian Proszenko
    Chief Rugby League Reporter

Craig Bellamy has given David Kidwell’s coaching credentials a ringing endorsement as Wests Tigers prepare to make a call on the man to replace Mick Potter.

Kidwell, Jason Taylor, Anthony Griffin, Nathan Brown and Todd Payten have all been interviewed for the post, with the joint-venture club’s new board meeting on Thursday night to debate the options.

Kidwell, who alongside Payten was Potter’s assistant at the Tigers, has a long history with Bellamy. The New Zealand international joined the Storm as a player in 2003, the same year Bellamy was handed the clipboard. Kidwell then spent three years under Bellamy as a coach before moving to Sydney last year for family reasons. Those experiences have convinced Bellamy that Kidwell would be a worthy head coach at the Tigers or another NRL club.

“Going on what I saw in the three years he’s had with us [as a deputy] – and obviously he’s coached the Junior Kiwis as well – he’d be getting very close to being ready to coach first grade,” Bellamy said. "He was a very team-orientated player, that’s what he was like, and that’s what I found was one of his greatest strengths as a coach. Whatever needs doing, he’ll get in and get it done if he thinks it will help the team. He’s very knowledgeable about the game, he was always a smart player and will always do what he needs to do. As a coach he works with two teams – the one that goes out on the field and also the coaching team as well. He was very giving in both areas.

“He is a very mature guy for his age. He’s got great pride in his origins as a person and that filters in through how he played and how he coached. He’d do a good job if he could get a start.”

Melbourne have a strong track record of producing NRL coaches, with Michael Maguire, Stephen Kearney and Brad Arthur all graduating to head coach status. Bellamy said Kidwell shared many of the traits that made the trio successful. “They’ve got certain qualities that not only make good coaches but they make people successful in whatever field they go out to in the workforce,” Bellamy said.

“It doesn’t mean winning premierships all the time; successful means getting the best out of what you’ve got in your team. A lot of the traits of those three guys, Kiddy has got a lot of their traits as well. Him and Steve are proud people and they’ve got a lot of pride in what they do. There’s one similarity there but I see a bit of Kiddy in the other two as well. He always gave his best and is a very team-orientated person. Everyone wants to be successful but how hard you work to be successful, that’s the thing. And Kiddy has a very good work ethic.”

All the Tigers coaching staff are off contract, which means Kidwell could miss out on both the head coaching and assistant’s roles. However, the high praise from respected premiership-winning mentor Bellamy suggests he will not be in limbo for long.

• Banned

Yes all assistant coaches from Melbourne are great… how did that other kiwi bloke go coaching parra?

• Newtown,I don’t know about you,even though it’s a big wrap from Bellamy,are we going back to the rookie type coach or do you think they will go for the experienced type coach.It all seems to be close at the moment and only time will tell…having said that I’m not to fussed on Kidwell only because if we have a new board then we need a fresh start,no baggage from the previous coach calamity…

Then again I’m only a paying member and whatever decision they make wouldn’t surprise me in the least…

• He was our defensive coach this year and every game we lost was by more than 13+ except for the Broncos game. That’s not exactly a record that screams for a promotion.

• @TrueTiger:

Newtown,I don’t know about you,even though it’s a big wrap from Bellamy,are we going back to the rookie type coach or do you think they will go for the experienced type coach.It all seems to be close at the moment and only time will tell…having said that I’m not to fussed on Kidwell only because if we have a new board then we need a fresh start,no baggage from the previous coach calamity…

Then again I’m only a paying member and whatever decision they make wouldn’t surprise me in the least…

Hi True Tiger, I only posted the report for information purposes only. I am definitely not backing Kidwell at all. Every coach seems to be backing their own mate. Whether its Potter backing his ex-ESL mate Nathan Brown and ignoring his ex- assistant coaches Kidwell and Payten, or Bellamy backing Kidwell. You and I know that the only backings that are going to count in the end are from Mayer and our new board. That decision, similar to one the one which the club made in 2012 depends upon how much money the club has available to pay for a coach, something which very few of us are privy to,

• If he rated him that highly I think Kidwell would still be in Melbourne.
    Never take advice from the opposition.

• Banned

What would one of the most overrated coaches in the competition know?..He coaches by fear…they are scared to make a mistake and they employ dirty tactics to win games…a sign of a good coach…nup!

Take the big 3 out of the Melbourne line up and they have nothing!

Bellamy has been riding the coat tails of the big 3 for a decade now…They go and his results go with them!.

• Kidwell was our forwards coach, not defensive coach FFS. How do people keep getting that wrong?!

All assistants leave or get promoted. The fact he left Melbourne has nothing to do with what they thought of him. He wanted to move back to Sydney for his family, and probably saw a better opportunity for a first grade gig at the Tigers than any other club.

• If he was the forwards coach then he needs the sack.

• @Balmain Boy:

Kidwell was our forwards coach, not defensive coach FFS. How do people keep getting that wrong?!

All assistants leave or get promoted. The fact he left Melbourne has nothing to do with what they thought of him. He wanted to move back to Sydney for his family, and probably saw a better opportunity for a first grade gig at the Tigers than any other club.

Ah how silly of me for thinking that it’s a forwards job to defend.

• Mmmm interesting

• Really don’t think our forwards were the problem this year. Woods. Farah, Tapau, Ava, Sue, Blair, Fulton all had very good seasons. The memorable games we won were due to our dominance in the forwards. Our backline however - due to injury, lack of speed , players out of position, inexperience or all of the above - was up there with the worst in the competition and unfortunately it showed regularly in their performances.

• Our back rowers were defensively inept.

It left the centres outside them flat footed and isolated and it left the small guys on their inside isolated and trying to defend monsters.

Fulton’s loss is one we have never bothered to have a contingency for and it is going to hurt us more then the departure of Ellis did.

• @Sabre:

If he rated him that highly I think Kidwell would still be in Melbourne.
    Never take advice from the opposition.

That’s kind of like hiring in the public service, never believe an outstanding job reference, odds are they are trying to offload their problem onto you.

• belly ache seems to be going alright without kidwell.

Recent Topics