Why does Todd Payten get a hard time?

New to the forum and have noticed that as well as Brian Smith, Todd Payten gets a hard time. Considering he seemed to do a good job with the under twenties and SOO was there something else. Was he considered to be whiteanting Potter?

Because the generally accepted story is that Payten spent most of 2014 white-anting Mick Potter, for his own gain. People can respect ambition but nobody likes disloyalty.

@Milo12:

New to the forum and have noticed that as well as Brian Smith, Todd Payten gets a hard time. Considering he seemed to do a good job with the under twenties and SOO was there something else. Was he considered to be whiteanting Potter?

Apparently he was undermining Potter with a view to taking the top job himself. Of course none of us know the exact inside workings of the club but that was the rumour.

Shame because he could have been a great coach for us one day.

Yeah i think Todd gets a bit of an unwarranted bashing at times.
Loved him as a player,comes across as a guy you want on your side and has been a good mentor/coach to some of these young fellas coming thru…

Probably was a bit early in his coaching career for first grade though i would have interested to see what he could have done as coach next year had he got the gig…

@Milo12,welcome to the best ever forum in the country…
Regarding Todd,if he concentrated more on developing coaching skills that may have helped him in the future with us,he made himself busy trying to whiteant Potter for the top job so it seems and I don’t think he is ready for the top job…big difference in coaching the young guys to top level NRL …
He may in time get a top coaching position but time will tell…
Cheers Milo… 😃 :sign:

@Milo12:

Because Payten is a member of the “boys club” that have been around since 2005. After winning the premiership in 2005 a bunch of Senior players thought their next career move is to be CEO and Coach of the WT - they have failed miserably as we have only been in 3 finals series since. This is a legacy of the Sheens/Humphreys era. Along came Potter and he did his best to break up the club, with some success, in the end he was beaten by the remaining “club” players of which Payten is one of them - he white anted Potter all along…The fans are sick and tired of this “club” and the people who make it up and thus are given a hard time…

None of us really know whether or not the rumours are true but there is a substantial lynch mob on this forum that is happy to take up the negative side of any personal attack without having any facts.

I am so with you in regard to this topic sideline eye. Another accusation based on rumour resulting in character assassination. Everyone has been accused of trying to get rid of Potter including Farah, Mayer, Kidwell,and the players. Seems to me if any of that is true then maybe they all knew something that we didn’t - it wasn’t working. Havnt heard anyone publically bag Potter other than the much talked about 'he is struggling" comment made by Farah - but then the silence was deafening in support of him as well. Not easy to tell a good bloke that their is a problem. I don’t know if Todd is guilty of anything to do with Potters demise so until someone proves otherwise I will base my opinion of him on what I know - that is he has been a great player for our club and a successful mentor and coach for our under twenties.

As I said in another thread, there was only one person who couldnt work woth 5 other coaches and it wasnt Todd Payten.

Posted using RoarFEED

Thanks for the welcome. The replies have gone a long way to answering my question.

I always find it intriguing that people think Payten wouldn’t have been ready to coach NRL. The guy played several years in the top grade, has been assistant coach in the NRL also and is a premiership winning U/20s coach. Yet unbelievably, we who have done none of that know he isn’t ready. It’s a funny old world.

Posted using RoarFEED

He should of been made coach of reserve grade after taking out the 20s, working his way up the grades. In a club that has had massive internal problems over the years it was always going to be a tough ask to jump straight into an assistant role for 1st grade and not be singled out when the waters got rough.

@Furious1:

I always find it intriguing that people think Payten wouldn’t have been ready to coach NRL. The guy played several years in the top grade, has been assistant coach in the NRL also and is a premiership winning U/20s coach. Yet unbelievably, we who have done none of that know he isn’t ready. It’s a funny old world.

Posted using RoarFEED

Ricky Stuart was a great player also, yet has been sacked by 3 clubs (soon to be 4)

@Milo12:

Hello “Milo12” the so called whiteanting of Potter by Payten is an unfounded rumour, based on speculation and inuendo by some people on here. There’s no actual fact to support it. Payten has always come across as an inteligent, smart man with good communication skills. He was also a very good player for us , a real team player. Wish people would stop assassinating this man’s character. He was always honest from the start about his ambition to coach. So was Kidwell. It doesn’t translate to whiteanting…By the way, welcome to the forum “millo12” 😎

Does anyone know if Payten or Kidwell were at the Grand Final luncheon today?

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.