Jason Taylor and new signings.

• i doubt it’s about the cap space. we have players like brooks/moses/teddy/siro etc who havent even played 50 games- most of their multi million dollar contract will be paid in the last 2 years of their contract afaik. not to mention the loss of koro, anasta, fulton, bmm and paterson.

there are two areas we lack depth in and that’s backrowers and centres. i just dont think there is anyone worth the money they’ll most likely be demanding.

there is a clear aim WT have and that’s to use our juniors and unless there is no one good coming through the system in a specific position, i dont think our club will be breaking the bank for a signing. backrowers like lovett, santi and sue are yet to reach their potential and next year will be massive for them. however, we do need a good centre and i’d be willing to throw 500K on a decent enough centre tbh.

• Keegan Smith the Roosters trainer has announced he is leaving… Taylor’s first big signing I hope!

• Keegan Smith - any relation to Brian Smith ???

• Where has it been said officially we have cap issues?

• Yes, we have backended contracts like Lawrence and Moltzen still on our books. Humpty loved his backended contracts!!

That’s one great thing about Mayer, he refused to offer these huge back ended deals that have tied us up in the past. For players like Teddy we had a max value we could offer in the cap, and while there may be small increases per season (which is normal) he wouldn’t just throw an extra 200k to teddy’s last year to ensure he stays.

The other thing you have to remember in terms of salaries is that players will often take pay cuts in order to keep a strong team together in order to win a premiership. You see players at Manly who’ve done this recently for example.

Clubs who are at the bottom of the league often have to pay more for players to act an an incentive for them to play there rather than at a better club.

You might find some off contract players at Souths or the Roosters who may be able to get $300-350k on the open market, but in order to win another comp and stay loyal with their mates they may take $200-250k and stay.

Obviously different players have different priorities, winning, gametime, setting up their family etc, but we would be overpaying many of our players to stop them being enticed to leave the club.

• Banned

@Gray:

A guy on Facebook on a Tigers page reckons Skando and Portesi have been given the chop, so a restructure to our S&C staff?

I know it’s an extremely weak source, but thought is chuck it up. I’m guessing this thread is for signings in general?

Posted using RoarFEED

Skando is confirmed and I hope his mates are also included

Posted using RoarFEED

• @derek:

Keegan Smith the Roosters trainer has announced he is leaving… Taylor’s first big signing I hope!

No dice Derek, Keegan is leaving the country & Magpiemac, yes he’s Brian’s son

• @Gray:

A guy on Facebook on a Tigers page reckons Skando and Portesi have been given the chop, so a restructure to our S&C staff?

I know it’s an extremely weak source, but thought is chuck it up. I’m guessing this thread is for signings in general?

Posted using RoarFEED

Source was good

• Glad to hear Portese is also being shown the door.
    Can’t help but feel a lot of our injury problems have started since he arrived.

• @Sabre:

Glad to hear Portese is also being shown the door.

They both mixed a great gatorade though

Posted using RoarFEED

• @tottie:

@Sabre:

Glad to hear Portese is also being shown the door.

They both mixed a great gatorade though

Posted using RoarFEED

Weren’t the players byo ing their own Gatorade at one stage

• ForumSupporter

@Chris:

Where has it been said officially we have cap issues?

I get your point….but I doubt it would be something the Club would publicise officially

• @GEO,if your a financial member of the Wests Tigers are you entitled to ask about the salary cap and how much we have spent and what players we have bought…

• ForumSupporter

I am a financial member and no Club in the NRL to my knowledge releases Salary Cap information to it’s members….except maybe the Rorters in the paper a few weeks back and everyone believed that didn’t they… 😒

• Geo thanks…obviously sal cap for managements eyes only…

Recent Topics