Taylor punts Skandalis

• JUST five days after being awarded life membership of the Wests Tigers, former player and current strength and conditioning coach John Skandalis has been sacked.

Skandalis confirmed he’d met with incoming coach Jason Taylor yesterday and been advised his services in that particular role were not needed for 2015.

WEST TIGERS HONOUR FORMER PROP WITH LIFE MEMBERSHIP

He said he was very disappointed with the decision but respected Taylor’s need to bring in his own people.

“He’s got a job to do and I respect his decision. I wish him all the best,” Skandalis said.

Wests Tigers CEO Grant Mayer met with Skandalis this morning and has since offered the loyal clubman a role next season, in a capacity yet to be decided.

An overjoyed Skandalis said he was “looking forward to a new challenge”.

“I’m looking to stay a the club; we just have to work through a few things,” he said.

Skandalis has been in the strength and conditioning role since 2010 although he took a break during the season to pull back on a Western Suburbs Mapgies jersey before a shock call-up from Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens to assist his injury-plagued NRL team.

RELATED ARTICLE: NRL GRAND FINAL

John Skandalis is tackled during Wests Tigers v Brisbane Broncos NRL game at Campbeltown Stadium.
    The loyal prop played another five games for the club and fell just short of making his 250th NRL appearance.

In his final game, he set a club record as its oldest player – at 34 years and 75 days.

RELATED ARTICLE: CAMPBELLTOWN MISSES FIFTH FIXTURE

The gentle giant was always a favourite of Macarthur area fans. He was the young larrikin from Macquarie Fields who discovered a talent for rugby league, and then set himself and achieved some exemplary goals.

Some career highlights included scoring the first goal for the joint-venture club in its first game in 2000, being the last Magpie in the Wests Tigers team, winning the 2005 premiership and vice-captaining the Huddersfield Giants in the English Super League.

John Skandalis during West Tigers NRL training session in 2009 before his return to first-grade football with the Wests Tiger.
    Wests Tigers supporter Terry Manns has followed John Skandalis’s career since he played with the Magpies and is a huge fan.

“Skando has served under Sheens and Potter and put his heart and soul in the Wests Tigers, and this is like a kick in the guts,” Manns said. “Why would you get rid of someone so valuable?”

• Another one bites the dust. What ever it takes to get us back in the winning circle is fine by me. Thanks for your contributions to the club Skando. Starting to get a good feeling about next year!

• 🙏

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

• Banned

Terry Manns obviously doesn’t give a rats where we come on the ladder. Blind Freddy could see we have the worst S&C team in the NRL… It’s time for Skando to run the chook raffles instead.

Posted using RoarFEED

• Banned

All I can say is THANK GOD.

And Terry Manns must be a comedian.

• A fresh new approach / outlook from all areas, can only be beneficial for wests-tigers.
    New exciting and challenging times ahead.
    Bring it on.

• Leave than Manns alone.

It would be good if Skando could watch and maybe learn from whoever they bring in and then apply that to the juniors… but, im excited that Taylor has already got things moving.

• So does this mean we might have some strength and conditioning next year.

Rippin’ and a tearin’.

• Banned

@westTAHger:

A fresh new approach / outlook from all areas, can only be beneficial for wests-tigers.
    New exciting and challenging times ahead.
    Bring it on.

We certainly are ridding ourselves of some deadwood arent we.Absolutely loving this rapid change and fresh new start for this club.Taylor is certainly not pulling any punches.Go you good thing. :sign: :sign:

• Can my dreams be coming true? I said in my last post on another thread, the next bit of media news I want to read will be about upgraded facilities and S&C. Yoohoo a fresh breeze blowing through the old cobwebs. Keep it coming.

• Sounds positive to me.

Posted using RoarFEED

• Sounds positive to me.

Posted using RoarFEED

• Even though Skando is not suited to be a strength and conditioning coach I think the club is doing the right thing by giving him another position within the establishment. I think throwing him out on the streets is the wrong thing to do, especially in eyes of the loyal Campbeltown fans. I think that a PR type of role would be good for Skando.

• If he can lay out witches hats in a straight line and run water he can stay

• I like Skando, but clearly, things have gone downhill dramatically with him as S&C coach, the last 3 years have been diabolical especially.

Good move, Taylor is doing what needs to be done.

Recent Topics