Sam Burgess playing on in GF?

Hi Guys,

**Not sure if this has been discussed if so please delete this thread.

I wanted to ask the forum members on their thoughts on Sam Burgess playing on in the grand final with a broken cheekbone and perhaps concussion and blood on his face?

I personally don’t know. If Robbie Farah/Aaron Woods/Brooks/Moses was injured in a GF my heart would want them to stay on for a grand final win but do you think the NRL is not being consistent with injuries and trying to romanticise rugby league fairy tale ‘heroes’ is it plain stupidity?. Perhaps it’s a subjective issue but was thinking about it during the game when S.Burgess was running around looking horrible and now i’ve noticed it has come under scrutiny.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-is-trying-to-have-its-cake-and-eat-it-too-on-player-safety-20141010-1143au.html

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/sam-burgess-to-go-down-in-rugby-league-folklore-after-playing-grand-final-with-fractured-cheekbone/story-e6frf3uu-1227080681833

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/south-sydney-rabbitohs/south-sydney-rabbitohs-forward-sam-burgess-risked-serious-injury-says-canterbury-bulldogs-great-george-peponis-20141006-10qzpb.html

It’s up to the player. We take risks everyday. I don’t necessarily see it as brave, or stupid. If the player can play on, perhaps the pain and injury isn’t as bad as what it is.

Posted using RoarFEED

Certainly didn’t look concussed to me, got up straight away with awareness of what had happened. Potentially dangerous with a risk for further injury? Sure. Don’t think it was breaking any rules though.

Posted using RoarFEED

The blood was the main issue with me tbh. You can play with 50 broken bones you’re doing damage to yourself only but open flesh wounds can cause infections to you and not to mention infections to other players should that blood enter the other players’ body.

The blood bin rule is not the joke that this gf made it out to be.

Posted using RoarFEED

Fractured eye socket is the main issue with me , why risk your sight for Noah ?

@tig_prmz:

The blood was the main issue with me tbh. You can play with 50 broken bones you’re doing damage to yourself only but open flesh wounds can cause infections to you and not to mention infections to other players should that blood enter the other players’ body.

The blood bin rule is not the joke that this gf made it out to be.

Posted using RoarFEED

The blood bin was completely ignored by the referees who allowed Burgess to continue most of the game with blood covering a good portion of his face. Referees send a player sent to the blood bin with only a slight sign of blood. To compound the situation Burgess was concussed during the match and even admitted he could not remember a lot of the match. However neither the referees nor Souths trainers sent him off the field to deal with his concussion…

@Balmainboydug:

Fractured eye socket is the main issue with me , why risk your sight for Noah ?

Fractured eye socket isn’t a good thing

One particular part of the eye socket when fractured actually gives a chance for something to have direct contact with the brain

Get an infection and it can cause death

Wally Lewis spoke about it in his book when he fractured the orbit bone in his eye socket He had to wait until it completely healed before he could play again

Concussion rule violated by Souths.
Dogs fined $50,000

grand finals are like origin games, they let more things like this go to an extent.
i reckon it’s fine if the player wants to stay out there.

@Demps:

Concussion rule violated by Souths.
Dogs fined $50,000

what concussion? can you point to anything that would indicate a concussion such as grogginess, inability to stand etc??? he got up, pointed to his cheek and got it checked by the trainer.

yeah, burgess said he couldnt remember much of it. hell i cant remember what i did yesterday, many players say 'the game was a blur i cant remember anything after fulltime, or after my injury" doesnt mean theyre concussed.

And the NRL said players safety comes FIRST……???

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.