Halves Depth

• What is it like now? Losing Anasta & Austin we now have Moses & Brooks in the halves. Martin will be our backup without any experience. We really need luck to go our way because there is very few depth in the halves.

• Moltzen is the only other one I can think of

Posted using RoarFEED

• Banned

Unfortunately the reality of the NRL is that it is very difficult to have depth in the halves. If u have a good one not playing NRL then there will be other clubs chasing him. Austin is perfect case in point.

We were lucky last year to have so much depth at 6 and 7. 2015 will be more in line with other clubs.

That being said, we still have the best junior 5/8 prospect in Martin and experience in Moltzen, so we are still better off than a lot of clubs.

• Milky,maybe JT has plans to use Moltzen in there sometime,I don’t really know…
    I’m thinking the same as you …very little depth in halves department…

• ForumSupporter

Considering we were using Farlow in State Cup toward the backend of the season …not much…I highly doubt Moltz’s body is up to it anymore

Tom Humble…anyone or Miller want back in

Oh here’s a thought Ben Barba is on the outer…

• Banned

@Geo.:

Considering we were using Farlow in State Cup toward the backend of the season …not much…

Tom Humble…anyone or Miller want back in

You know what geo, Tom Humble would be a very smart signing.

We don’t know if Cherrington will be ready physically for NRL and I’m pretty sure Martin won’t be, so to have Humble who plays very well at 9 and decent enough at 6 in State Cup would be good.

Isaac John is another

• With Austin now gone ,and very young halves pairing ( even though Mitch & Luke are 2 tough kids) we are very exposed if they do go down ……
    It’s a pity that Blake felt like an outsider all year from the Young boys click …maybe one of the reason he might of decided on a fresh start .

I wished the Wests Tigers picked up Darren Nicholls from Wyong earlier this year instead of the Broncos . He was playing great footy for Wyong …has a very good general kicking game …can cover 5/8 , half even hooker , and would have come cheap
    He’s some of his highlights

Anyway , I am hoping Taylor is looking at one of this halves below for depth next year.

NSW Cup HALFBACK of the Year - Michael Dobson

Most certainly a position where the depth was crazy good in 2014 with guys like Luke Kelly, Tom Humble and Mitch Cornish all well and truly in the conversation, but when push came to shove we simply couldn’t overlook the form of Dobson, particularly late in the season. After spending the first month or so of the season in the NRL, Dobson has gone on to play 19 games in the VB NSW Cup with Newcastle and his combination with the likes of Ross, Minto and Newton has seen the Knights playing a brand of football that is a pleasure to watch.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS – Tom Humble, Luke Kelly and Mitch Cornish

• Humble would be an astute backup, has a bit of experience and has the talent.

• What are the odds we sign Campese on a next to nothing deal?

• Not giving Austin the 6 spot is ridiculous in my opinion. Best player all year with a level head and commitment. Good luck to him and to Canberra. I’m becoming more annoyed by the week. Wish they’d get rid of dead wood and backstabbers rather than good honest people that give their all.

• Not keen on Humble but I would rather Luke Capewell from the Panthers or Darren Nicholls like mentioned above.

Capewell has been at Souths, Broncos and Panthers and would provide good coverage in halves. Darren would also be a good buy. A very gritty half who will fight tooth and nail. Decent goal kicker also and a Balmain junior from Holy Cross Ryde. I would welcome him back with open arms.

Martin needs another year either in NSW Cup or NYC…get him to bulk up and work on his game (dictate play, learn the finer art of controlling your team etc), he would then would be ready for the NRL.

Another option which will get shut down is either Scott Dureau or Kris Keating. Both are decent players who provide good coverage in the halves as well as providing an experience head.

• @Chipofftheoldblock:

Another option which will get shut down is either Scott Dureau or Kris Keating. Both are decent players who provide good coverage in the halves as well as providing an experience head.

We’d be absolutely be plumbing the depths if we picked up Keating. Surely there’s a half decent pommy half that wants a crack in the NRL that would take it on the cheap?

Posted using RoarFEED

• @wd in perth:

Not giving Austin the 6 spot is ridiculous in my opinion. Best player all year with a level head and commitment. Good luck to him and to Canberra. I’m becoming more annoyed by the week. Wish they’d get rid of dead wood and backstabbers
    rather than good honest people that give their all.

I don’t think many people are saying he definitely won’t get to be five eighth, He may get the spot.
    But if he’s not prepared to fight for it, and wants an ironclad promisethat he will get it, then kiss him goodbye, this is professional football , not under 10’s.

• @VanillaThunder:

@Chipofftheoldblock:

We’d be absolutely be plumbing the depths if we picked up Keating. Surely there’s a half decent pommy half that wants a crack in the NRL that would take it on the cheap?

Posted using RoarFEED

There isnt much over here in the UK. Ritchie Myler from Warrington springs to mind but he would be no better than Moltzen.
    Jonny Lomax would be awesome but he is first string with St Helens but he provide cover at FB plus hooker also.
    Luke Gale at Bradford but he is ordinary in defence
    Matty Smith- half at Wigan who would only come over if 1st string
    Liam Sutcliffe is a player I like very much and would do an awesome job. Can cover halves, lock, centre, 2nd row at a pinch.

• @goldcoast tiger:

@wd in perth:

Not giving Austin the 6 spot is ridiculous in my opinion. Best player all year with a level head and commitment. Good luck to him and to Canberra. I’m becoming more annoyed by the week. Wish they’d get rid of dead wood and backstabbers
    rather than good honest people that give their all.

I don’t think many people are saying he definitely won’t get to be five eighth, He may get the spot.
    But if he’s not prepared to fight for it, and wants an ironclad promisethat he will get it, then kiss him goodbye, this is professional football , not under 10’s.

He definitely won’t because he’s been let go. Not too smart given the comparison between his gperformances last season & everyone else that played the 6. he was best by a long long way. Anyway, it is what it is. Hope he comes out and has a great season next year for the Raiders.

Recent Topics