Gold Coast Salary Cap Breach

• ForumSupporter

Gold Coast Titans fined $300,000 and docked competition points for salary cap breach allegedly involving Scott Prince
    MICHAEL SAUNDERS GOLD COAST BULLETIN OCTOBER 16, 2014 12:08PM

Titans fined for salary cap breach
    Former Gold Coast Titans captain Scott Prince is at the centre of a salary cap breach.
    THE Gold Coast Titans have been hit with a hefty fine and a possible loss of competition points after a salary cap breach allegedly involving Scott Prince.

For the breach the NRL issued a $300,000 fine and revoked four 2016 competition points, but suspended all of the points and $75,000 of the fine because the club reported itself.

In a statement released today, NRL Integrity Unit revealed it has handed the penalty to the Titans after finding former captain Scott Prince was paid “substantially more” than his contract stated.

“This difference in remuneration was never disclosed by the previous Titans administration or Prince and was only unearthed by the new management,” the statement wrote.

“The investigation found no evidence of systemic rorting of the salary cap at the club.

“The suspended fine and points will be applied if there are any further salary cap breaches by the Titans over the next two years.”

Four other clubs — the Roosters, Knights, Sea Eagles and Wests Tigers — have been issued with fines totalling more than $90,000 for less serious salary cap breaches.

NRL general manager of integrity Nick Weeks said all clubs were on notice that they risked losing competition points and faced heavy fines if they attempt to cheat the salary cap rules in future.

He said the Titans penalty was issued following an investigation by the NRL Integrity Unity which was instigated by the new management of the club.

Prince’s role as an NRL One Community Ambassador expires this month and will not be renewed.

Weeks said the Titans penalty was no reflection on the current administration, which had worked with the NRL to resolve the matter.

“Given the evidence currently before us, there are former officials from both clubs who are unlikely to be registered to be involved in the NRL in the future,” he said.

“I am satisfied that clubs are generally attempting to meet their salary cap duties,” Mr Weeks said.

“But all clubs are on notice that we have drawn a line in the sand.

“If clubs breach the salary cap in the future they will face heavy penalties, including the loss of competition points.”

PENALTIES FOR SALARY CAP BREACHES:

Sea Eagles ($6,000 — overspend breach)

Knights ($35,519 — overspend breach)

Roosters ($40,000 — comprised of $20,000 fine and $20,000 suspended for two years. The penalty relates to a lack of substantive notes of negotiation)

Tigers ($9,326 — NYC overspend)

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-fined-300000-and-docked-competition-points-for-salary-cap-breach-allegedly-involving-scott-prince/story-fnj9yd9w-1227092547445

Wow they get off cause they self reported and it was a previous Management……

Now the NRL draw a line in the sand…pffft

• NYC overspend LOL.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.1.5

• Basically you can take drugs, cheat the cap and all you will get is a suspended or back dated sentence?

Stupid stupid stupid.

I love the roosters " lack of documents" ha! Imagine if they did supply documents, they’d be looking at a massive… suspended sentence…backdated to 1998.

Posted using RoarFEED

• Funny that. Everyman and his dog knew that the Titans had rorted the cap with Prince and yet the NRL was unable to do anything about it at the time. Seems a waste of time having a salary cap auditor.

• Banned

It’s finally coming ut how that Gold Coast Cheated and Rorted the cap from stealing him from us

about time!!! they ruined our halfback problem when Prince was in his prime and we were left with the great John Morris.

I said years ago they rorted the cap to get him with giving Prince a home etc

• @BlackandGoldForever:

It’s finally coming ut how that Gold Coast Cheated and Rorted the cap from stealing him from us

about time!!! they ruined our halfback problem when Prince was in his prime and we were left with the great John Morris.

Yep but his missus wears pants, always has, and wanted back to qld - he would have went regardless of what was offered.

Posted using RoarFEED

• @tig_prmz:

NYC overspend LOL.

You saw how many injuries we had last year, right?

• Funny how the Bronks issues with the salary cap seem to have vanished into thin air. The game needs a salary cap but while ever their are humans involved in running it their will be rorts that are near impossible to police

• Banned

Might now put a few hundred on the salary cap cheaters to get the spoon next year now… they really set us back a few years by cheating to get Prince, just think 2006 season was full of injuries and Prince laving really ruined what could have been a dynasty

• I’m glad they got pinged. Finally got their comeuppance, and Prince never got his premiership with them.

• Banned

Prince never really reached any highs at the Gold Coast…I wonder if he ever thinks what could’ve been if he stayed with the WT for another 4 or 5 years…for me the Prince/Marshall combination could have developed into the most dynamic halves combination over the last 20 years… I reckon we would’ve won another premiership had he stayed…imagine what a player Marshall could’ve become had they stayed together…oh well dream is over!..

• @BlackandGoldForever:

No justice for Wests Tigers. The huge fine which Gold Coast are paying the NRL is not going anywhere near Wests Tigers who were by far the main victims of the rort.

• @Cultured Bogan:

@tig_prmz:

NYC overspend LOL.

You saw how many injuries we had last year, right?

Not sure what injuries have to do with this? I was simply laughing at us probably spending welllllll below our nrl cap but we got fined 9k for nyc. Was laughing more at the situation than any one in particular.

• @Newtown:

@BlackandGoldForever:

No justice for Wests Tigers. The huge fine which Gold Coast are paying the NRL is not going anywhere near Wests Tigers who were by far the main victims of the rort.

Are you serious it is nothing to do with prince leaving weststigers he left in 06 the problem is with his deal to move to the Broncos some 6 years later

“The matter relates to a scheme orchestrated by the previous management of the Titans at the end of 2012 when Prince left the club for the Broncos.”

Posted using RoarFEED

• @nads1234:

@Newtown:

@BlackandGoldForever:

Are you serious it is nothing to do with prince leaving weststigers he left in 06 the problem is with his deal to move to the Broncos some 6 years later

“The matter relates to a scheme orchestrated by the previous management of the Titans at the end of 2012 when Prince left the club for the Broncos.”

Posted using RoarFEED

Sorry, but you need to sharpen up your comprehension of the article which reads;

"In a statement released today, NRL Integrity Unit revealed it has handed the penalty to the Titans after finding former captain Scott Prince was paid “substantially more” than his contract stated. This difference in remuneration was never disclosed by the previous Titans administration or Prince and was only unearthed by the new management.”

In no way does the article indicate that the scheme was conceived at the end of 2012. In fact it indicates quite the opposite i.e. it was conceived by the earlier Titans administration during the early years when Scott was playing for the Titans.

Recent Topics