Jason Taylor all set for first day

• ForumSupporter

Jason Taylor all set for first day of pre-season training at Wests Tigers
    DateNovember 4, 2014 - 5:31PM

Michael Chammas

The Wests Tigers will begin preseason training for next year carrying the scars of this season, with 13 of their top 35 unavailable.

New coach Jason Taylor will take over the reins on Wednesday when the Tigers come together for the first day of the post-Mick Potter era.

But the injuries Potter had to contend with will linger into Taylor’s tenure, with almost 40 per cent of the squad unavailable to participate in any physical work on day one.

“We’ve still got a fair few players who won’t be training yet,” Taylor said. “Out of about 35 players, we’ll have a number who won’t be training, recovering from injuries and operations. We’ve also got a few away in the Four Nations. We’ll have 22 on the field tomorrow [Wednesday]. James Tedesco has been running in a limited fashion, which is good to see.”

It won’t be the first time Taylor has addressed the playing group. He has held several individual meetings with selected players, including skipper Robbie Farah before the start of the Four Nations tournament, and also spoke to the group in grand final week.

“On that Friday before the grand final, I met with the playing group at Concord and had a chat about some simple things that I wanted them to start thinking about in relation to professionalism and some basic insights into how we wanted to go about things when they got back for the start of preseason,” Taylor said.

"I met 95 per cent of people that day and had a few chats with individuals since then. I spent a fair bit of time with Robbie initially, chatting about a few different things and had a chat with a few others as well.

“It was good. The vibe from the guys right from the first day has been really good. I was always confident it would be. Footy players don’t like losing. When a new coach comes into any club, if the players aren’t excited about learning new stuff and aren’t a bit nervous about the fact they have to start over again, then you’ve got concerns. But that wasn’t the case.”

Taylor has also introduced a number of changes to the club’s coaching staff that will no doubt shake things up at the joint-venture club.

“Matt Cameron is someone I worked with before and he and I have always had an ambition to work together again down the track,” he said.

"Dave Kidwell was here at the Tigers last year and is going to be our defensive coach. He’s a guy I coached at Souths previously and I know he’s a high-quality person who spent some time at Melbourne, which for me was important, having worked under Craig Bellamy as a coach and player.

“Rod Reddy and I worked together previously at Parramatta. To be honest, we chatted to a few guys about that role and for one reason or another, things didn’t work out with getting them on board. Then one day I was driving and racking my brain about the role, then my phone rang and it was Rod Reddy. He said, ‘I’m not sure if there is anything going at the moment, but keep me in mind’. It was perfect timing.”

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/wests-tigers/jason-taylor-all-set-for-first-day-of-preseason-training-at-wests-tigers-20141104-11gsn4.html?rand=1415082721679

Well if Kidwell wasn’t the defensive Coach before…He is now… 🙏

• Good luck to Taylor, we need it. Rugby League is such a hard game nowadays with so many players still recovering from the grind of 2014, sure it would be similar across the competition.

• I can’t see Taylors job being under threat from his assistant coaches.

• Yeah Good Luck to JT , hope our fortunes change for once and have a very good season.

• I hope kidwell isn’t in charge of defensive formations. I have faith in him for wrestling and line speed though.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.1.4

• It all starts again tomorrow. Just hope the rest of the squad mend quickly.

• The best thing about the coaching staff is that the whole club feels fresh. People have been brought in from outside the club and there seems to be a more serious and professional coaching structure.
    Hopefully the board cuts the rubbish and gets on with job with the best interests of the club too.

I just hope the players have the same positive outlook going into the season as myself and many on here do.

Kidwell as defensive coach worries me a little considering he was in that role last year and the results were very poor. Hopefully he turns it around.

If we can’t begin to grow into an strong sporting brand leading into the future now, we may never do it. New coaching structure, new board and one of the best young rosters in the competition….We just need to turn that mix into a strong and competitive club moving forward.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.1.5

• New beginnings will hopefully bring new fortunes. Good luck JT with WT for season 2015. Go the Wests Tiges

• @Geo.:

The vibe from the guys right from the first day has been really good.

The vibe the buzz……how could that be JT ?

Please explain… Jerry did the maths the players are not back at training and Ink heard the buzz around the place was wasps.

JT we are only simple gullible people do you have any proof ?

• Banned

@Irvine:

@Geo.:

The vibe from the guys right from the first day has been really good.

Please explain… Jerry did the maths the players are not back at training and Ink heard the buzz around the place was wasps.

It has been reported by numerous sources of JT meeting players.How could the vibe possibly be bad when they all they have done is exchange handshakes and well wishes they havent even had their first training session.Heres a simple question for u Irvine whats the ONE word that JT has already told the team to focus on in this offseason.Expecting a speedy answer from someone within the Wests tigers playing group like your self.P.S I can also tell everyone the players are sick to death of supposed leaks from within from last year.Hmmmm.

• Banned

@willow:

It all starts again tomorrow. Just hope the rest of the squad mend quickly.

Agreed and with our NEW staff I fully expect this to happen.Good riddance deadwood.

• I think that JT wants the playing group to focus more on professionalism,on and off the field…
    From what I have read,although we still have players recovering from injuries and a couple of new signings,Taylor is laying a platform this year and we will see the best in2016-2017 from the team…
    JT has been around long enough to know that the young ones will take further to develope and I don’t think he wants to break their spirit so to speak.
    I anticipate a bigger recruitment drive in 2016 as this year although we resigned players our recruiting has been very quiet to say the least.

I will place my faith for the progressing of the club to a future success to the new board,staff and CEO and let’s see how far this group of staff and players can take this great club on the track of finals football…

• I hope people dont expect miracles, that said if a miracle were to occur i wouldnt complain.

I just think this will all take time, a fair while…we look to have littl to no depth player wise…its all been coaching staff changing this year…I hope we see some serious recruiting for '16 and beyond.

Taylor will - like Potter - need time - he’ll also need support, everyone rowing together.

Potter didnt have this luxury
    I hope Taylor does

• @Irvine:

• ForumSupporter

Ho Hum…… another positive thread gets derailed into a peeing contest…

Anyhow…I wish the boys all the best in their pre-season…

Recent Topics