Anybody heard of this guy?

• No. I haven’t heard of a lot of the first year NYC players though. Good luck to the kid.

• Geez he is tall - 199 cm at 18 yrs old - he is already 4 to 5 cm taller than Woods and Galloway.

• Yes he is fast, doesnt pass the ball…he likes himself very much and has a smart mouth on him

• @innsaneink:

Yes he is fast, doesnt pass the ball…he likes himself very much and has a smart mouth on him

Thats a detailes insight… Met him before ink ?

Posted using RoarFEED 4.1.4

• My sons played against him a few times - Ive been at the games…and I work with a kid who’s played with him. (we were only talking about him on Mon) He stands out.
    Most kids have a smart mouth

• Is he any good?

He looks like a draw card,
    in the same mould as Idris / Uate / etc…
    A crowd favourite in the making?

• @Demps:

Is he any good?

He looks like a draw card,
    in the same mould as Idris / Uate / etc…
    A crowd favourite in the making?

If confidence and self belief are any gauge, he may be half way there

• Physically he is quite imposing but yeah, interested to see how he goes.

• KARWHIN OFF TO DEVELOPMENT SQUAD

STANDING 185cm tall and weighing 94kg, Obed Karwhin, 17, is no slouch on the rugby league field.
    The Doonside youngster’s barnstorming style in the centre position for the under-17 Blacktown PCYC team won him selection for the Parramatta Eels’ under-17 development squad.
    The training- based development program nurtures the Eels’ next crop of players for the under-18 SG Ball Cup side.
    Obed has played in the centre and fullback positions for the Blacktown PCYC club for the past three years.
    ‘‘Not many people are the size I am,’’ he said.
    ‘‘In a one-on-one situation I’m the strongest and I can fend them off.’’
    He originally played rugby union before making the switch to league at the age of 15.
    ‘‘It’s rough and fun – I’d rather that than soccer. Most Africans are into soccer,’’ he said.
    ‘‘I want to play for the Wests Tigers in the NRL and hopefully I can achieve that.
    ‘‘Maybe play State-of-Origin and represent Australia one day.’’
    PCYC rugby league president Stephen Warwick said Obed was one of the club’s standout players.
    ‘‘He loves the physical contact and is very passionate about the game,’’ Warwick said.
    ‘‘He gets so into it and he wants to achieve the best he can.’’
    Obed and his family migrated from Liberia in 2005. His brother Samuel scored more than 40 tries for the PCYC under-12 side last season.

• Came to Australia in 2005 is that an omen?

• Like many kids that are physically big ahead of their time, lets just see how he goes when he is getting wacked by people his size and bigger. Soon shuts 95% of them up. Only the best come through. Maybe he is the 5%, maybe he isn’t.

• :brick:

@innsaneink:

Yes he is fast, doesnt pass the ball…he likes himself very much and has a smart mouth on him

That would be close to my assessment as well.
    Has potential, but also needs to evolve to achieve it.

• He seems very confident of himself in that story. I guess it’s easy to be confident in yourself when you’re bigger than most kids your age.

It’ll be interesting to see how he goes against hard men who have played NRL for a long time and aren’t afraid to put one on his chin.

• Well his stats would have him somewhere between Folau and Idris. That’s a pretty good starting point for any young player. By that article he’s also grown 15 cm in the past year.

Ego in juniors would be fairly common as the star players can run rings around their opposition. It’s only when they are in a team and competition featuring many other talented players that they’re forced to be more open in order to continue to win games.

However in the NYC all a winger needs to succeed is to be fast or strong. If he’s both he could outgrow the competition quickly. Obviously attack is one thing, but his defense and work ethic would determine how far he goes.

Recent Topics