We Want Swagger

So, from reading these forums it seems clear that we shouldn’t buy top players because:
(1) we will end up paying “overs”
(2) Blair made us afraid to ever buy a top player ever again
(3) it comes at the expense of our junior talent

My thoughts are that since we merged 15 years ago we have had the advantage of both the Wests and Balmain juniors (arguably the biggest combined nursery). Yet, we have only made 3 finals appearances and our only victory came with Prince, a star “import”. Gareth Ellis, another import, was a major factor in our other finals appearances. Currently, Martin Taupau is the closest thing we have to a star “imported” signing and he starts on the bench.

Compare our recent history to that of Melbourne (not exactly an historic rugby league stronghold with a junior foundation). They have been around for 17 years and have missed the finals only twice, while being top 6 every other year. Sure, they cooked the books, but money talks. They are the extreme example, but you only need to look at Bunnies/Manly/Dogs/Roosters to see a team blended with local and “imported” talent. They have built a self-perpetuating dynasty of success and self-belief. Not just in their players but in their fans and management. We need that swagger.
With that confidence (and success) we will be able to attract greater cash flow from sponsors and media which enables both junior development AND more major player signings.

So, re the juniors argument: we need juniors, they are our bloodline. But it is foolish for us as fans to expect any degree of success from them alone, because it has been tested and simply does not yield results. We need to buy or “import” talent.

If you are prepared to accept that reality then why are we umming and ahhing over someone like Merrin? Newsflash! The guy is not going to be the messiah, nor will any other individual signing. We have to enter the player market aggressively and continue to sign top echelon players more regularly; not dawdle out of fear that our next signing might be a Blair sequel. True, we may not be in with a chance re Merrin, but seriously, as fans aren’t we all sick of being the team that does not attract top talent?

Thus, I simply do not agree with the coach/club stance to ignore the player market. If we do not have the money then that is an issue for which our management should be held accountable. Even the hapless, scandalous Sharkies can attract a sponsorship that enables them to constantly recruit top talent. So, for me it is either new players or a new board of management.

As fans of this great joint venture I think we have all been patient enough. We have been in the “rebuilding” phase for ten years now. Enough is enough. This team has been together for a good few years now. Give us results; make the top 8 FFS! Then give us new blood. Do that or get rid.

P.S. I am not an unrealistic fan. I know our chances this year are not great, but that is what I’ve said before every season. And I’m sick of it.

Mate! you need to calm down.

This is a new board - they are not responsible for previous mistakes.
The old board were held responsible - and they are not there anymore.

This a new coach - he is not responsible either; the old coach is also gone.

It is a new S and C group as well - the old one is gone.

Doesn’t that give you all you asked for.

No one is gun shy of imports - we have no money for this year - so nobody is shunning us - there is no offer on the table for anyone.

We make do for 2015 and supplement the junior talent later. Simple - this is not Einstein stuff.

P = MC Squared

P is for Patience with a capital P

Then it will stand for Premiership in 16 or 17.

Great post

I think we as supporters need to get out of the mindset of just ‘‘relying on the juniors’’. The juniors need to complimented by good recruitment, a balance the Panthers have found. They are the blueprint to what we should aspire to be. Juniors alone will not cut it. People dismiss the idea of the club benefiting from signing a guy like Merrin, but will probably be the first ones to complain when we miss out on the finals again.

nothing wrong with recruiting in the right areas….just don’t pay overs for ageing stars.

@Russell:

Mate! you need to calm down.

This is a new board - they are not responsible for previous mistakes.
The old board were held responsible - and they are not there anymore.

This a new coach - he is not responsible either; the old coach is also gone.

It is a new S and C group as well - the old one is gone.

Doesn’t that give you all you asked for.

No one is gun shy of imports - we have no money for this year - so nobody is shunning us - there is no offer on the table for anyone.

We make do for 2015 and supplement the junior talent later. Simple - this is not Einstein

stuff.

P = MC Squared

P is for Patience with a capital P

Then it will stand for Premiership in 16 or 17.

What he said!

It’s pretty obvious we are financially limited. As long we are confident in our spine and front row, our only purchases should be cost effective back-rowers or centres.

Honestly, it’s hard to believe Taylor wouldn’t be keen on a big signing when we can afford one.

What does MC squared stand for?

Thank God JT is the coach and not some of “the sky is falling” brigade.

We currently have a largely unproven squad of young players, and a new coaching structure which brings with it a new football philosophy. I dont see the drama. The key to shrewd player signings is to be able to recognise and isolate squad deficiencies and hopefully find players on the market to fill them at a reasonable price.

In essence we dont really know what we have, or how they will respond to what seems a simplified role for players across the park. Blind freddy and his dog knows the talent we have on the books, we need to allow them to convert that potential into performance… there is no way you would asses our squad on last years performances, it was a shambles in more ways than one.

JT is no fool. Have faith.

@Black’n’White:

Thank God JT is the coach and not some of “the sky is falling” brigade.

We currently have a largely unproven squad of young players, and a new coaching structure which brings with it a new football philosophy. I dont see the drama. The key to shrewd player signings is to be able to recognise and isolate squad deficiencies and hopefully find players on the market to fill them at a reasonable price.

In essence we dont really know what we have, or how they will respond to what seems a simplified role for players across the park. Blind freddy and his dog knows the talent we have on the books, we need to allow them to convert that potential into performance… there is no way you would asses our squad on last years performances, it was a shambles in more ways than one.

JT is no fool. Have faith.

x2

Great post black n white

we really dont know what we need yet under the new regime

@NT Tiger:

Hammer Time

The Pamfers proved last season that you don’t need the big money signing to perform well (funnily enough they’ve gone and signed Merrin, but the point stands.) They have a smart coach and general manager who identified and signed good talent to play key positions in which they were lacking. A champion team as opposed to a team of champions. Ironically, they did the reverse of what clubs do… They sacked/let go big money names like Coote, Gordon, Lewis, Grant and Jennings to make way for above average signings combined with a smattering of quality juniors, that saw them well covered across the field, and most importantly, depth that seeped well into their NSW cup team and saw them play well deep into the latter stages of the season despite having an injury ward similar to ours.

As others have said, I can’t imagine a coach like JT turning his nose up at a high quality recruit that becomes available in a position we’re short on (a backrower for example.) Taylor is smart not to run out and sign whomever before they’ve even played their first game under him. It will give him a year to see how what he has inherited performs under his structure, and allows him to make the necessary calls in terms of retention in order to determine the big fish to chase.

@softlaw:

@NT Tiger:

Hammer Time

Excellent, made me laugh!

@NT Tiger:

@softlaw:

@NT Tiger:

Hammer Time

Excellent, made me laugh!

NT Tiger - nothing important - just a laugh

E = MC Squared is Einstein’s Theory of relativity

Just swapped the E for P (Energy for Patience maybe)

Anyway I think we are looking good - give this team a chance before making changes I say.

Thanks Russell,
I agree. Give them a good go & save up for some critical changes later, if needed.
Go Tigers

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.