Carney wins unfair dismissal case: report

07:54 AEST Sun Mar 15 2015

Todd Carney has reportedly won a wrongful dismissal case against NRL club Cronulla. News Corp reports the NRL appeals committee chairman Ian Callinan ruled the Sharks failed to follow due process before sacking Carney when a photo of him attempting to urinate into his mouth appeared on social media last year. The appeals committee ruled Cronulla should have allowed Carney, who now plays for Super League side Catalans, to plead his case before the Sharks’ board.

Cronulla chairman Damian Keogh said the club would accept the decision of the appeals committee.
“The big oversight was that someone needed to check that the process being followed was correct,” Keogh said. "What’s important to remember here is that it’s not a question of the facts, it’s a question of the process, but the reality of the situation is, the decision would likely have been the same. “I wouldn’t rule out Todd Carney returning to the NRL one day, but from my point of view there has been a lot of water that has flown under the bridge since last June.”

So he should have. If the game allows woman beaters and druggies to play, then i don’t see what should prevent a guy who just enjoys getting himself plastered. Sure he might carry on like a douche, but what young guy in the 18-25 demo doesn’t when they are on the piss?

Yep …give the bloke a Drink

@Geo.:

Yep …give the bloke a Drink

rehabilitation doesn’t work , so just give him the drink.

@GNR4LIFE:

So he should have. If the game allows woman beaters and druggies to play, then i don’t see what should prevent a guy who just enjoys getting himself plastered. Sure he might carry on like a douche, but what young guy in the 18-25 demo doesn’t when they are on the piss?

im in that demo and i sure as hell dont piss in my mouth and bring my employers into disrepute even after being given numerous chances.

you get a 2nd chance, and that should be about it imo. Carneys had enough chances. Packer and Wicks will get one more and thats about it

How many times has he harmed others though? Unlike guys like Inglis, Lui, Bird, Wicks and Packer?

Hes had more than his fair share of chances.

He is an habitual offender, the game is better off without him.

Manly will pick him up.

@GNR4LIFE:

Manly will pick him up.

Probably will target Sam Burgess as well.

Definitely, but i think that would probably be pretty ambitious. Couldn’t see him ever playing for anyone else other than Souths.

he really won the case on a technicality, which considering he wasnt given a chance to tell his side of the story seems quite reasonable.
however, surely precedent had been set with his history and (as i said numerous times during the aftermath of the bubbling incident) he was therefore under far more stringent scrutiny than anyone else would have been.
its just a fact of life that if you make that many mistakes - in any job - not only are any following misjudgements going to hurt you more, but people are more alert to them.
the issue is, and never was that he hadnt hurt anyone or whether it was just a stupid joke, it is that he has brought the NRL into disrepute. he may not be physically harming anyone with his misguided actions, but he has certainly done a hell of a lot of damage to the game’s image. on far too many occasions; it is not a matter of legality, it is a matter of breach of contract.

shame to see a talent wasted, but Carney epitomises the fact that you need to be far more than just a talented athlete to make it in the big leagues…

@turnstyle:

he really won the case on a technicality, which considering he wasnt given a chance to tell his side of the story seems quite reasonable.
however, surely precedent had been set with his history and (as i said numerous times during the aftermath of the bubbling incident) he was therefore under far more stringent scrutiny than anyone else would have been.
its just a fact of life that if you make that many mistakes - in any job - not only are any following misjudgements going to hurt you more, but people are more alert to them.
the issue is, and never was that he hadnt hurt anyone or whether it was just a stupid joke, it is that he has brought the NRL into disrepute. he may not be physically harming anyone with his misguided actions, but he has certainly done a hell of a lot of damage to the game’s image. on far too many occasions; it is not a matter of legality, it is a matter of breach of contract.

shame to see a talent wasted, but Carney epitomises the fact that you need to be far more than just a talented athlete to make it in the big leagues…

Thoroughly agreed with you , it’s about what he has done in bringing the game into disrepute and the Organisation being the NRL .
Also embarrassing his Club , there Sponsors and Fans.
We simply can’t have him back in our game and allowing him to draw a great income from an Organisation that he’s embarrassed time and time again.

If he doesn’t have a right to be in the game, then neither does any player whose put their hands on a woman, or these Titans players if they’re found guilty. The frequency of it doesn’t matter if what others do as a one off is much worse.

Not sure why people condemn this guy then give a guy like Greg Bird the green light. Bird is and will always be a lower piece of vermin then a guy who gets carried away when he gets himself sloshed

Bird should have never been allowed to play League again after his time at the Sharks and what he did to his ex girlfriend , his a grub of the highest order .
I’m all for a 2nd Chance but when someone needs more than 2 chances , well he hasn’t learn’t anything from his 2nd chance .
Let them get a real job and learn the grind of Day to Day work

2006, charged with reckless and careless driving
2007, didn’t stop when cops pulled him over resulting in high speed chase, driving while disqualified and reckless driving
2008, allegedly urinated on a man
2009, went on a vandalism spree and reportedly injured a man while setting his pants on fire
2011, charged with low range drink driving

he’s had more than a few chances.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.