Wests Tigers give Moses a new bodyguard...

Tigers give Moses a new bodyguard

Wed 18 Mar, 2015, 1:23pm
By Matt Encarnacion, Western Sydney Correspondent, NRL.com
EMAIL PRINT

Sauaso Sue has been shifted to the right edge this season where he has helped protect Wests Tigers playmaker Mitch Moses in defence. Credit: Grant Trouville. Copyright: NRL Photos.
He’s spent his first two seasons bodying up against the big men, but now Sauaso Sue is making a fist of protecting the smaller ones.

The installation of new Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor has had a profound effect in Concord so far this year, with the joint venture club opening the season with back-to-back wins over the Titans and Dragons.

And part it can be put down to a subtle change in the Tigers’ formation – shifting middle forward Sue onto the right edge, where he has taken on the role of bodyguard for lightweight pivot Mitchell Moses.

It’s a small sample size, but the results speak for themselves. After missing almost four tackles a game in his rookie campaign last season, the second-year five-eighth has missed just four tackles over the opening fortnight.

“Moving out there has changed a little bit in my game, mainly in defence. I can’t just go for my man – you have to try and help out your half as much as you can,” Sue told NRL.com on Wednesday.

It’s not just off the ball where the 22-year-old Sue has had to make adjustments, either. The Samoan international has had to deal with Moses’s unpredictable play in attack.

“He’s an exciting player. You never know what’s going to happen when he has the ball in his hands, so you just have to always push up with him. He’s good to have outside you, he’s a good talker,” he said.

Former coach Mick Potter primarily utilised Sue in the middle of the field, but the Macquarie Fields product grabbed his new coach’s attention with a new skill set over the summer.

“It was coach’s idea. He thought I was impressing in some of the skills we were doing in pre-season, and we thought we’d take the gamble. It’s more about speed and power out there,” he said.

“It also gives Marty [Taupau] a crack at lock and he’s really killing it there. I haven’t played second row since I was 18, so it’s been a long time. But I’m really enjoying it there.”

Despite a glut of second-rowers departing the club last season, Sue says he’s being kept on his toes by young gun Lamar Liolevave, yet another Tigers youngster with some impressive moves of his own. Taylor named the 18-year-old on an extended bench on Tuesday.

“He thinks he’s the next Chris Brown – he’s got all the dance moves in the locker room and thinks he’s got the looks,” Sue said.

“But seriously, he’s a good player. He’s really dominant in tackles and he dominated the second-row position in the pre-season. He’s still got another two years in the -20s too.”

Sue’s penchant for big hits could be of use against a powerful Rabbitohs pack awaiting the Tigers on Sunday afternoon.

South Sydney were ambushed in the corresponding fixture last year, but prop Keith Galloway said there was no chance of sneaking up on the defending premiers again.

“No way. We put on a good performance last year because we were the underdogs. We’ll probably the underdogs again, but they’re a very good side so I’m sure they’ll be ready this time,” he said.

Rugby league is all about having fun, making friends and staying healthy. The NRL is using this round to help promote junior rugby league and thank you, our future stars and fans and heroes who help make it all possible.

Join the conversation at #PlayNRL, get your tickets at nrl.com/tickets and get to a game. Talk to your local junior club about signing up as a player or volunteer and join the thousands of people who make rugby league great.

http://www.nrl.com/tigers-give-moses-a-new-bodyguard/tabid/10874/newsid/84626/default.aspx

Sue had his best game for us against the Drags…hope that continues…

And if they hadnt noticed everywhere that Brooks goes Sirro is right by his side also.

its the old Tonnie Carrol - Darren Lockyer thing.

@Geo.:

Sue had his best game for us against the Drags…hope that continues…

By a mile as well

I think the thing I enjoyed seeing was watching him drag Rowdy out of a tackle when we were going to get penalized He is starting to show some real maturity

Certainly helps having some pressure on him

I think it’s a sound move. Given Sue hasn’t played in the backrow for a few years, I think he’ll get back into it easily enough. He was much improved over round 1 and once Moses finds his timing I think Sue will be quite dangerous close to the line with his power and strength.

It makes me chuckle; Sue did have a very good game against the Dragons. But he played well against the Titans as well its just that most didn’t notice. Bonstonker, who I understand dissects these games in more detail than most was one of the few to recognise this.

i disagree completely ^

sue left moses out to dry most of the time (in defense) and made some bad judgement calls overall.

his attack was very bad as well… something like 30m in 60 mins… was a very bad performance imo

@tig_prmz:

i disagree completely ^

sue left moses out to dry most of the time (in defense) and made some bad judgement calls overall.

his attack was very bad as well… something like 30m in 60 mins… was a very bad performance imo

He made 106m in the game and also made 32 tackles with misses.
He’s made 65 tackles this year and hasn’t missed a single one. Being pretty hard on him. Unfounded criticism.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

that was against the dragons (where i agree he was quite good) but against the titans (he made 28m according to willow’s stats) he came rushing out of the line too many times or went in too many times and let moses make the first contact with ryan james. sue always came in to help later but it was always moses who had to make that initial contact on james

@tig_prmz:

that was against the dragons (where i agree he was quite good) but against the titans (he made 28m according to willow’s stats) he came rushing out of the line too many times or went in too many times and let moses make the first contact with ryan james. sue always came in to help later but it was always moses who had to make that initial contact on james

I’am sure Sue will improve each week he plays Tig.

i know, TM. tbh i was probably one of the first ones last year to make a thread that sue will be one of the 2nd rowers for us. he was truly disappointing in the 1st round and thought he let the whole team down.

hope we can see the better of him every week.

@tig_prmz:

I was really surprised with his game against the Dragons because he was so poor prior to that. He needs to play as he did against the Dragons regularly.

Lamar is 18???

What the?

That is incredible. To earn a shot at first grade at 18 is very impressive. To earn it in the forwards at 18 is astounding.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

watch out for Lamar - he could be really really special - especially if he’s right between the ears

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3

I reckon Moses is being treated a little unfairly.

His defense has been very good including several one on ones in our danger zone where he has put his body on the line and made some serious hits.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.