Newcastle Knights secure Mata’uita brothers on long-term deals

Newcastle Knights secure Mata’uita brothers on long-term deals

Sione, Chanel and Pat Mata’utia will stick with the Knights through to 2018.
Sione, Chanel and Pat Mata’utia will stick with the Knights through to 2018.

NEWCASTLE has ended six months of speculation today over the future of the Mata’utia brothers, Sione, Chanel and Pat by re-signing the trio to long term deals.
The move ends Canterbury’s bid to poach the brothers, who signed letters of intent to join the Bulldogs last September.

Under NRL rules, the Knights had until June 30 to entice the brothers to renege on the deal.
It’s understood the Mata’utia brothers finalised a split from their manager Chris Haddad before rejecting the a lucrative four year deal with the Bulldogs to stay at the Knights.
The new deal sees the trio remain at the Knights until at least the end of season 2018.
“As we have said all along, our priority is to retain our best young local talent,” Knights CEO Matt Gidley said.
“In addition to the boys’ rugby league talents, they are outstanding young men from a wonderful family, which is very important from our club’s point of view.
“Many of our members and supporters have been waiting for this news, so we hope they are as happy as we are with the trio’s commitment to the club.
“By re-signing the three brothers, we show we have and will continue to work hard on retaining our best young juniors.”

Sione Mata’utia of the Knights runs the ball during the round two NRL match between the N
Sione Mata’utia of the Knights runs the ball during the round two NRL match between the North Queensland Cowboys and the Newcastle Knights at 1300 SMILES Stadium. Source: Getty Images

Staying together as a family unit in Newcastle was a key driver for the brothers.
“Mum didn’t want to leave Newcastle and being together as a family is important to us,” 18-year-old Sione explained.
Chanel, who made his NRL debut late in season 2014, has played seven NRL games. The 22-year-old is primarily a winger but can also play in the centres.
“The Knights is a family orientated club who have looked after our family,” Chanel said.
“I have been at the Knights for a while now and I couldn’t imagine playing football anywhere else.”
Sione became the youngest ever player to represent Australia when he took part in the Four Nations Tournament during the off-season. The utility back made his NRL debut in 2014 and has since played nine NRL games.

“The club means a lot to me because of what everyone here has done for my mum and our family over many years,” Sione added.
“I get what the club is trying to do now and for the future and I want to be a part of that. I hope I can be a one-club player.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/newcastle-knights-secure-matauita-brothers-on-long-term-deals/story-fndujljl-1227269024615
I think good news for league, so clubs like the dogs don’t just poach juniors

Good to see a team hang on to their juniors - they will reap the rewards now instead of a team with a fatter wallet.

Bulldogs obviously have someone else on the radar

They usually don’t miss out on what they want

Get it up ya Dogs, good to see a battling club hang on to their talented kids.

#boughtnotbred

I thought this was a good game:

Sione Mata’uita, Mamo, Moses, Gutherson and Lodge played well together.

This news has made my Day, my Bulldog mate won’t answer my phone call 😆.
Late last year he told me they had signed the best young crop of kids in Mata’uita brothers 😆, and now his ignoring my phone calls.

I kept an eye on Peter playing for the dragons on Monday night.
Really wasn’t impressved, I don’t rate him at all.

I think these fellas are over-rated.
You heard it here first, future flops.

Too much hype for Sione.
Better prospects out there.

#Markmywords

They have obviously stuck together as a package deal to get the best money for themselves.

@Demps:

Too much hype for Sione.

#Markmywords

Marked 😉

@Demps:

Too much hype for Sione.

#Markmywords

Peter is the worst of the four.

Doesn’t mean they’re all genetically predisposed to playing terrible footy. Sione is a good prospect, and the other two look to be talented as well.

Great news for the Knights, Dogs will no doubt snap up another 2 or 3 players elsewhere and still manage to be under the cap by 2 million

Jake Mamo, anyone?

@Demps:

Jake Mamo, anyone?

I think he’s a great player Demps…you’re pretty close up there in Newy…why can’t he crack a start ahead of Gidley McManus or Uate…???

@Geo.:

@Demps:

Jake Mamo, anyone?

I think he’s a great player Demps…you’re pretty close up there in Newy…why can’t he crack a start ahead of Gidley McManus or Uate…???

Big fan of Mamo. Speed to burn. Scored 3 tries in the under 20s origin. If he doesn’t come to the tigers I’d hope he stays at the knights, they have a bright future.

Funny reading the Kennel regarding the mata’uita brothers and how everyone is happy they didn’t sign the brothers and saying they’re over rated. So bias. I certainly wouldn’t mind an 18 year old kangaroo at the tigers.

I would take Mamo in a heartbeat. Young, strong and fast. He would come cheap too.
He would also be looking for a chance to prove himself as he can’t get a start at Newcastle.
I see similarities between him and Tedesco.

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.