WOODS V Burgess..

Aaron Woods and George Burgess to lock horns in epic battle upfront on Sunday
CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSI THE DAILY TELEGRAPH MARCH 21, 2015 12:00AM SHARE

Aaron Woods v George Burgess looks a mouth-watering contest.
Wests Tigers aiming to make history again.

AARON Woods versus young Pommy counterpart George Burgess — Sunday’s clash of the young titans will be worth the admission alone into ANZ Stadium.

There will be no shortage of big names feature in the battle between Wests Tigers and premiers South Sydney, but the best stoush will be out in the middle between the two form props in the NRL.

Woods, 24, ran for an amazing 251m on Monday night against the Dragons.

Burgess, 22, is quickly becoming one of the most feared front-rowers in the game, and continues to do the family name justice after big brother Sam’s departure from Redfern.

“It will be good fun,’’ a smiling Woods said of meeting Burgess.

“I rate Matt Scott as the best prop in the game, but George is getting up there. He’s a big boy, he took on Sam Moa and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves on the weekend, and they’re also up there with the best props.

“His leg drive after contact is awesome. He’s just a big human. But I’m not going to rap the bloke anymore. I don’t want to give him any ammunition.’’

Bearded Woods and Burgess faced off at club level last year, then again on the international arena during the Four Nations.

After the opening fortnight of footy, Woods and Burgess have played similar minutes for the similar amount of tackles and offloads. Woods has the edge when it comes to possessions and metres gained.

It’s generally accepted front-rowers don’t peak until their mid-20s, which means Woods and Burgess are sure to stage some epic duels in the coming years.

If only Burgess could somehow qualify for Queensland.

Burgess preferred to heap praise on the Bunnies rather than himself, and said he had appreciated the feedback from some of his teammates.

“We have a lot of good payers here, Glenn Stewart I can bounce a lot of ideas off him, he’s got a lot of experience in the game and a good person to play with,’’ Burgess said.

“Issac Luke is also a very smart hooker who has been around a while, he’s played with a lot of good front-rowers, and it’s always good to ask him what he likes in a front-rower and what are the good qualities he likes.’’

Burgess’ fellow prop Dave Tyrrell and forward Chris McQueen both spoke highly of Burgess, with McQueen admitting: “He’s a big lump of a lad, but he still has to do the hard work and put his hand up, and he’s certainly not afraid to do so.’’

Tyrrell added: “George is a real team player, he does all the little things. You see all the big bustling runs, but it’s the little things most people don’t notice out there.’’

Throw in Tigers big boppers Keith Galloway, who labelled Burgess “the best prop in the game’’, and Marty Taupau, and there’s guaranteed to be no shortage of brutal hits.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/aaron-woods-and-george-burgess-to-lock-horns-in-epic-battle-upfront-on-sunday/story-fni3fbgz-1227271919282

That’s why we love RL isn’t it.The big hits, big man clashing. Can’t wait! Hopefully our boys will get on top of them.

I think Woods is a great player but Burgess is scary. I give Burgess the edge.

Different styles , burgess definetly more explosive and aggressive but woods gets through his workload also eg Mtrs gained, offloads , tackles

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Burgess shmurgess… they’re all overrated.
Smash him into the ground Aaron.

Whoever wins this battle of the big boys will probably win the match I think we have far greater depth with out front rowers , but Souths have the quality back row

The battle in the forwards will decide this game IMO. I think we can win the battle with Woods, Taupau and Galloway on the field. Ava and Lodge/Buchanan will really have to knuckle down when they are on to keep the ruck tight. If we lose the battle in the middle, Luke and Keary will tear us up I reckon.

Whilst the winner will be determined by the effort of each, the result will also be significantly influenced by the contribution of fellow forwards as the support each gets is critical.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme