Knights prop Cross open to offers

Newcastle’s former NSW prop Ben Cross says he’s open to all offers for next season, but the Knights’ off-field dramas won’t affect his decision.

The 31-year-old is off-contract at season’s end along with stand-in skipper Steve Simpson and, with the NRL club’s forward ranks already thinned by drugs charges against Danny Wicks and Chris Houston, the Knights would be keen to lock up their most experienced forwards.

……

“He is very comfortable with the organisation and their roster, it’s just a matter of seeing what’s best for his career and commercially.”

With lost time in representative football on his radar, Cross is keen to stay in the NRL and, inspired by veteran front-rowers Petero Civoniceva and Steve Price, believes he can play for another three-four years.

“At this stage I’ll be open to all offers but I’d like to stay in the NRL,” he said.

"I still have aspirations, representative and all that sort of stuff, but obviously if there’s opportunities come up overseas I’d be a fool not to look at them because they might not be there in the future.

“I’ll just assess everything when they come about.”

Cross, who has played just 16 games in two injury-plagued years at Newcastle, is also keen to talk to the Knights.

“I love the town, love the club,” he said.

"The players are really starting to come together and we’re like a tight-knit group so I’d love to stay if that’s a possibility.

"I think I’ve probably got about three or four years left in me.

"I take heart when I see guys like Petero running around and Steve Price.

“I’ve had two years on the sidelines so I haven’t had the bumps and grinds of footy and, talking to our physios, my body’s feeling pretty good.”

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/58013/knights-prop-cross-open-to-offers/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yay or nay for 2011?

well thats interesting

probly go to england

That’s what I think too. At 31 and injury prone … I’d rather not.

Would not hesitate…go for it.

Lets see if he can string 4 or 5 games together. He’s not playing this weekend is he? Multiple concussions…

No thanks would prefer Lima

Maybe we should move our club to South Queensland so we can sign Ben Hannat.

Ben Cross is a great player but he is just unlucky. He must have a bad contact technique or something.

i’d sign him in a heartbeat.

would also approach Steve Simpson
at least make an offer.
if they say no then no harm in trying.

Both Simpson & Cross “once were warriors” but are too old,too injury prone,& looking for a superannuation .
Fifita & co much better value

He is hard bugger and could be great for a season or two (bar likely injuries) but too old for me … could turn out like another cayless, steer clear

@Mighty Tiger:

No thanks would prefer Lima

He has been released from the final year of his contract with the Storm. The Bulldogs were interested but not anymore. Not sure whether he’ll look to go overseas.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme