15 Years, 5 coaches, 2 Finals, 1 Premiership

So it’s been 10 years since the 05 premiership and the club really hasn’t kicked on since then on-field.

I recall many posters on here lamenting sheens selections (myself included) asking for new coaching blood to take our talented core of players to the next level. We’ve had Potter, Taylor and Sheens struggle to get much out of our playing stocks.

A few adept signings (Ellis, Tapau) have made us confident. but the team still struggles.

3 coaches have struggled with the tigers. This anomaly cannot be solely down to coaching ability.

Yet I keep reading that it’s the coaches fault our supposedly fantastic players have been not performing year in year out. Or the tackling coach, or the forwards coach.

10 years, 3 coaches. No Improvements.

Makes me think It’s not a coaching issue.

What do we change next?

last edited by Sataris

we have changed everything we possibly could lol, right down from the board to the ceo to the coach to the benjis and blairs.

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3

Its ok we will get there in the end on defence.

Carlton have lost patience with one of the greatest ever AFL coaches. Is it a portent for WT?

Mick Malthouse sacked by Carlton, club meeting called after explosive radio interview
Updated 34 minutes ago

Carlton has sacked coach Mick Malthouse after a meeting between club directors and executives on Tuesday afternoon. The club has announced a press conference with president Mark LoGiudice and chief executive Steven Trigg at 4.15pm (AEST) when they are expected to comment on the decision.

Malthouse joined the club in 2013 after stints with Footscray, West Coast and Collingwood, and only weeks ago broke the record for most senior AFL/VFL games coached. The 2014 season, however, was a big disappointment, as Carlton finished 13th with a record of seven wins, 15 losses.

Carlton has endured a horrible start to the 2015 season, winning only one game from the opening eight rounds to leave it sitting at the foot of the AFL ladder. Malthouse’s record in 2015 is his worst in 30 years as an AFL coach. He was contracted until the end of this season, but the board moved to sack him with 14 games still to play.

There is the premiership of 2015.

How full is cronulla’s trophy cabinet. They have been trying since 1967.

In comparison,we are going okay- not great ,but okay.

Aaron woods is alocal junior who is a current aussie rep. Chris lawrence has also played for australia.

we have the current blues captain robbie farah who is also a local junior.

so there are ,amongst disappointments, some aspects to be proud of.

lets have a win soon.

I really think in reality and we all have to look at this with open eyes,this great JV that we all supposedly love had two distinct clubs that really weren’t fond of each other……we became one and as much as some despised one side as did the other a club was formed…in my honest opinion,as supporters didn’t like it neither did each faction of the board…it had its bad times with one side thinking it was better than the other and I really think this inhouse fighting is to blame for our very dull performances as an NRL team over the years…

We now have a saving grace in the form of an Independant board with no favouring any of the JV sides,it is one club…the time has come for a complete and utter clean out and as we know it has begun…JT must be given his three year tenure for this team to show what this great JV can do once completely United and working with each other from club board and management through to the coaching staff and players…at times some of the defeats we have suffered have been very,very hard to handle,however we must let the plan roll on for the next three years as distasteful as it has been…we must "suck it up " so I have been told on many occasions and I will as long as in the end we have a successful and stable club that we all can be proud of,even if it takes a little longer than expected… 🙏

@Newtown:

Carlton have lost patience with one of the greatest ever AFL coaches. Is it a portent for WT?

Mick Malthouse sacked by Carlton, club meeting called after explosive radio interview
Updated 34 minutes ago

Carlton has sacked coach Mick Malthouse after a meeting between club directors and executives on Tuesday afternoon. The club has announced a press conference with president Mark LoGiudice and chief executive Steven Trigg at 4.15pm (AEST) when they are expected to comment on the decision.

Malthouse joined the club in 2013 after stints with Footscray, West Coast and Collingwood, and only weeks ago broke the record for most senior AFL/VFL games coached. The 2014 season, however, was a big disappointment, as Carlton finished 13th with a record of seven wins, 15 losses.

Carlton has endured a horrible start to the 2015 season, winning only one game from the opening eight rounds to leave it sitting at the foot of the AFL ladder. Malthouse’s record in 2015 is his worst in 30 years as an AFL coach. He was contracted until the end of this season, but the board moved to sack him with 14 games still to play.

Yeah it’s sad to see this happening to a once great AFL club. It must be desperate times if one of the best can’t do anything with the team. Carlton are looking a lot like our mob at present, which doesn’t bode well for me, as I support both of them 😒

@Flippedy:

@Newtown:

Updated 34 minutes ago

Yeah it’s sad to see this happening to a once great AFL club. It must be desperate times if one of the best can’t do anything with the team. Carlton are looking a lot like our mob at present, which doesn’t bode well for me, as I support both of them 😒

Feeling blue Flip? Beyond Blue can help.

The blame can only be leveled at the board of the times.

Sheens was allowed to become too powerful and over stayed his usefulness by 3 years.

Potter was a token coach on a token wage who tried but just didnt have the power to make the changes he wanted.

In hindsight this was deliberate because they didnt want another Sheens.

Now Taylor has been appointed by the new board, a board it should be said with very very little rugby league experience. He talked defense and structure and got the job, didnt occur to anyone that the team he was inheriting had some of the best young attacking talent in the game.

The one thing we now have though is stability. The board, the ceo, the coach, they are all here for the long term and the lines of communication and unity are strong. Thats very different to how things used to be.

Lets go back to day dot

Same issues , same problems we have a lot of work to dig ourselves out of this hole that this club created with too many wrong calls and too many short cuts taken along the way

@Tiger In The Gong:

Sheens was allowed to become too powerful and over stayed his usefulness by 3 years.

Potter was a token coach on a token wage who tried but just didnt have the power to make the changes he wanted.

Now Taylor has been appointed by the new board, a board it should be said with very very little rugby league experience. He talked defense and structure and got the job, didnt occur to anyone that the team he was inheriting had some of the best young attacking talent in the game.

The one thing we now have though is stability. The board, the ceo, the coach, they are all here for the long term and the lines of communication and unity are strong. Thats very different to how things used to be.

Spot on mate. Excellent post!

@Chris:

@Tiger In The Gong:

x2

We are a long way from the Man U of the NRL…

@Geo.:

@Chris:

@Tiger In The Gong:

x2

We’re lucky there’s not a relegation system in place !
Imagine that 😆

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

@hobbo2803:

@Geo.:

@Chris:

@Tiger In The Gong:

x2

We’re lucky there’s not a relegation system in place !
Imagine that 😆

We’d be playing Parra in pub footy

Potter definitely struggled- more to do with the board, players and a relatively young squad than his coaching ability. All of which has now changed except probably Mayer and robbie.

Hard to say that JT has struggled given he hasn’t even had half a season.

As for sheens, 3/10 and a 50% win ratio isn’t the best thing but he was able to give us a brand. Definitely, 06,07,08 and 2012 were failures but I wouldn’t say his entire coaching career with us was a failure. He did get us a premiership and 2 top 4 finishes albeit in 10 years.

Maybe I aim low but failure to me is a bottom 4 finish and a team is genuinely struggling if it is in the bottom 4 for a few years- likewise top 4 and their success. I don’t think we’ve ever had consecutive bottom 4 finishes at WT.

Honestly, I feel 5-12 is a bit of a lottery. I don’t believe in failure=bottom 8 theory.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme