SYDNEY MARKET

I was a Balmain supporter who grew up in Campbelltown have a fair idea of the merger .
For the last 20yrs both sides have struggled to compete consistently and supporters are use to struggling teams .
geographically we have to compete with @CONCORD - roosters and souths/bulldogs for money and players !! We lose that everytime now Balmain broke ??

We have a myth of a junior base in Campbelltown The best players get taken out of system by the top clubs at young age and we get whats left been going on FOREVER. St gregorys college is not focused 100% on league anymore like they use to or there players are linked with other clubs .

Keebra park players I doubt are jumping for joy to join the tigers .
The Campbelltown area a mixture of supporters of all clubs now not wests tigers .

So do we keep pushing @#$# uphill or relocate and build A MELBOURNE/BRISBANE style base elsewhere . I can only see us getting the scraps from other clubs

The Central Coast has been screaming out for its own NRL team for years, but we are continually denied. There is an awesome junior base and Rugby League nursery here and I reckon Wests Tigers would do extremely well up here if they needed to relocate to survive. I’d much rather they come to the Coast than having to merge again or relocate to another state.

The support for the Tigers is enormous up here - I see at least half a dozen people per day wearing Wests Tigers gear in my travels. Not long ago our biggest home crowd for the season was recorded at a game at Blue Tongue Stadium, which has great facilities by the way. It’s still close enough for the Sydneysiders to get to without much hassle, as well. It would be a win/win move I reckon, but I could be biased 😉

yeah tigers have a decent presence in Newcastle as well…
they would kill it on the coast and i could get to more games!

however i think they’re hearts are set on having the bears…
mehhhh.

Balmain jnr league has risen significantly over the last few yrs winning jnr reps. All Sydney clubs have supporters all over Sydney. Once a draft is going jnr areas wont matter like AFL

The issue with Central Coast is and always will be Corporate support. Gold Coast and Newcastle have the 6th and 7th largest populations in Australia and are traditionally rugby league heartlands especially Newcastle, yet they struggle with finances and have for a long time. Central Coast yes is a league heartland no doubt, but it has less population and I dare say less large corporate business so not sure where the finance will come from for the long term. If anything they will compete with Newcastle for the financial support.
Look at the tigers web site, based in the inner west, close to the Sydney finance district massive marketing and sponsorship team and they still struggle financially, not sure how the Central Coast will be any different.
If the Central Coast was that appealing they would already have a team. If the tigers are to relocate, Id imagine Perth (West) or Ipswich/Logan/Brisbane corridor, to be the obvious areas. In saying that I hope they sort this mess out and they stay where we are.

Some good points, But…

If we start winning, everything will change for the better.

How is it that Canterbury are a successful club year in and year out and we’re not ??? The answer …… they are run by professionals who know what they’re doing. We should be at worst on par with them.

@Shaneandmaddy:

The issue with Central Coast is and always will be Corporate support. Gold Coast and Newcastle have the 6th and 7th largest populations in Australia and are traditionally rugby league heartlands especially Newcastle, yet they struggle with finances and have for a long time. Central Coast yes is a league heartland no doubt, but it has less population and I dare say less large corporate business so not sure where the finance will come from for the long term. If anything they will compete with Newcastle for the financial support.
Look at the tigers web site, based in the inner west, close to the Sydney finance district massive marketing and sponsorship team and they still struggle financially, not sure how the Central Coast will be any different.
If the Central Coast was that appealing they would already have a team. If the tigers are to relocate, Id imagine Perth (West) or Ipswich/Logan/Brisbane corridor, to be the obvious areas. In saying that I hope they sort this mess out and they stay where we are.

I live on the Gold Coast and wouldn’t call Gold Coast traditionally rugby league heartlands. You got no idea how many freebie tickets the Titans give out.
On the East stand of Skilled Park Stadium they have buy one paying Adult and get 1 free at every game till the age of 13 or even more can’t remember. Local radio station 90.9 SeaFM are always giving out free tickets during the week when playing at home.

I do agree we start winning money and things will fall in place but it’s being viable as well, not just a breakthrough year like in 2005 and that’s it.
I want to be consistently making the semis year in year out 1in 8 surely that is achievable.
But it’s going to take a few years to get our house in order.

Sorry my mistake I lived on the Gold Coast until 2007, and played in that competition, back then there were 2 A and B grade and when the titans entered the comp they were quite successful. Shame to see how far league has fallen since then. I guess that is the issue with Central Coast, Canberra and Newcastle as well, little corporate support makes it hard to field a competitive team and hence it can fall by the wayside

@Shaneandmaddy:

Sorry my mistake I lived on the Gold Coast until 2007, and played in that competition, back then there were 2 A and B grade and when the titans entered the comp they were quite successful. Shame to see how far league has fallen since then. I guess that is the issue with Central Coast, Canberra and Newcastle as well, little corporate support makes it hard to field a competitive team and hence it can fall by the wayside

I think it has fallen down the pecking order of things to do watching the Titans play. I suppose it comes with winning ( you win people will go) . There is so much to do on the Gold Coast as well, people are still going to the beach in March and April.
Also the other battle here is the Gold Coast Suns they are growing in support every year, also the Cherry Evans saga and players gowing to other Clubs ( Myles, Seizer) they have tough times ahead as well.

It’s a shame about the titans, but must admit that was before the suns when I was there.

@Knuckles:

How is it that Canterbury are a successful club year in and year out and we’re not ??? The answer …… they are run by professionals who know what they’re doing. We should be at worst on par with them.

You could easily copy and paste what they’ve done. But we’re happy to compare ourselves to clubs like Cronulla.

Although we are going through very tough times and I know it’s been bashed over and over on many threads here but I’m very uneasy with the amount of people talking up or resigned to the idea of a possible relocation. After the pain of merging I would feel very betrayed by the NRL if they pulled something like that. Our club is a mess atm no doubt and no one is denying this but what would a relocation really bring besides an initial injection of funds? Who’s not to say the mess starts again in 10yrs time wherever we’ve been moved to?

@glebe_tiger:

Although we are going through very tough times and I know it’s been bashed over and over on many threads here but I’m very uneasy with the amount of people talking up or resigned to the idea of a possible relocation. After the pain of merging I would feel very betrayed by the NRL if they pulled something like that. Our club is a mess atm no doubt and no one is denying this but what would a relocation really bring besides an initial injection of funds? Who’s not to say the mess starts again in 10yrs time wherever we’ve been moved to?

This is very true, moving doesn’t always solve anything - the problems will often just come with you.

I’m no afl Melbourne expert. But I feel we are the equivalent to the demons Richmond western Bulldogs Second fiddle to top clubs every year

Did u see Trent Robinson comment. B Cartwright and Sironen will suit new rules. Or code for these boys are doing there apprenticeships now and we will take them when they ready

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme