Gus Gould questions the pairing of Brooks and Moses..

Hey guys Im at work and cant get you a link to the thread title…it is in the Daily Telegraph and Courior Mail,LEAGUE CENTRAL…

Basically he says the Tigers have two half backs and it is not working for the team…

could someone post a link please…

Here you go TT

Tough times for Tigers tyros

Mitchell Moses has struggled to adjust to the new systems Jason Taylor is trying to implement at Concord, just as most of his Tigers teammates have this year. They’re sitting stone cold last for a reason.

But while Moses and halfback Luke Brooks have nothing short of a truckload of potential, coaching maestro and Channel Nine commentator Phil Gould expressed some serious doubts over the duo’s ability as a halves pairing in their loss to Brisbane on Sunday.

Moses has wanted to have his hands on the ball more than he has in recent weeks, and there were early signs against the Broncos he was doing just that, jumping into first receiver on a number of occasions.

The issue that Gould sees is that the two 20-year-old kids are too similar, essentially two halfbacks in the one halves pairing, and struggling to gel as a result.

Brooks and Moses will reportedly be free agents at the end of next year with options to stay at the club in 2017.

They’ve come through the Tigers and Holy Cross Ryde junior systems, and while they spent plenty of time in the halves together, Moses has also had plenty of time at fullback in his formative years in the same sides as Brooks, but James Tedesco’s mortgage on the No.1 jumper is a significant roadblock to any move to the back for Moses.

Plenty of focus has been given to the defensive frailties of the Tigers halves, with Moses ranked third and Brooks sixth for most missed tackles in the NRL, but how the pair can effectively guide the Tigers around the park in a more structured game plan is also emerging as an issue for Taylor to deal with.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2015-phil-gould-questions-the-tigers-halves-pairing-of-mitchell-moses-and-luke-brooks/story-e6frf3wu-1227450767245

he mentioned this on tv last week too….

The article is based on his throwaway comment during the telecast - he was more thinking aloud rather than any in-depth analysis.
I suspect this is a mountain being made of a molehill.

really? I thought they’ve started to look good over the past couple of weeks

They dont really commplement each other, plus two rookies at once isnt the ideal set up

@greatodensraven:

A lot of people would agree with what he said,
They were better for a while last week , but at the tail,end of this season , they should be a long way ahead of where they are.

Lol no quotes just a rough article on what he said on TV.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

@goldcoast tiger:

@greatodensraven:

A lot of people would agree with what he said,
They were better for a while last week , but at the tail,end of this season , they should be a long way ahead of where they are.

Agree with your last sentence, but I’d say that’s more down to the ‘structure’ and team around them rather than their compatibility, or lack thereof, with one another.

They don’t work together, the play is either one or the other doing something. This is pretty common though.

It’s a crock and the defensive stats are wrong… move along. nothing to see here people

I think Gus is basing it on one game, where he saw Moses improve. I don’t see why they can’t both do well if Taylor doesn’t shackle them down. I think everyone believes the both of them played quite well last week

You would think two guys who played a lot together as juniors would complement each other just fine?

@Balmain Boy:

It’s a crock and the defensive stats are wrong… move along. nothing to see here people

Their defence stats last week were Brooks 4 mt
Moses 7 m t
11 between them

Why do some here close your eyes to reality, most of us all wanted and still want, these two to succeed, as the club refuses to play anyone else there.
Them going better is the only way we can improve overall
But let’s blame the media, their defence stats are rigged, it’s all the refs fault.
There’s been excuse after excuse made for them this year.
Maybe if one of them had been brought up to F/G, things would pprobably have been different and at least one of them would have had a better chance of developing more. But this club wanted their quick fix and went with both, and what we have is the result.
As for the report on what Gus said ,
It isn’t a crock at all, it’s exactly what he said, and other good judges such as Andrew Johns ,
has also stepped back from his original assessment of them in the early part of the season.
It’s not their fault that they were pushed into first grade,
But they certainly aren’t anywhere near what was predicted of them at the start of the year

@goldcoast tiger:

@Balmain Boy:

Their defence stats last week were Brooks 4 mt
Moses 7 m t
11 between them

Why do some here close your eyes to reality, most of us all wanted and still want, these two to succeed, as the club refuses to play anyone else there.
Them going better is the only way we can improve overall
But let’s blame the media, their defence stats are rigged, it’s all the refs fault.
There’s been excuse after excuse made for them this year.
Maybe if one of them had been brought up to F/G, things would pprobably have been different and at least one of them would have had a better chance of developing more. But this club wanted their quick fix and went with both, and what we have is the result.
As for the report on what Gus said ,
It isn’t a crock at all, it’s exactly what he said, and other good judges such as Andrew Johns ,
has also stepped back from his original assessment of them in the early part of the season.
It’s not their fault that they were pushed into first grade,
But they certainly aren’t anywhere near what was predicted of them at the start of the year

So, who would be your halfback or 5/8? Would you put Moses to fullback and Teddy to center? Personally I would give it a try.

No good putting crap on people without an alternative.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme