NRL Changes 2016...Interchange reduced

NRL to reduce number of interchanges

Wed 22 Jul, 2015, 4:00pm
NRL

NRL to reduce number of interchanges

The number of interchanges will be reduced to eight and a shot clock will be introduced to reduce stoppages under landmark changes to the NRL Telstra Premiership from next season.

NRL Head of Football Todd Greenberg said the changes, which follow a detailed review of the current interchange system, would be the most significant to the game in decades.

They will see:

• The number of interchanges reduced from 10 to eight

• Four players remain on the bench to make those interchanges

• A shot clock introduced for drop outs and scrums

Mr Greenberg said the reduction in interchanges combined with the shot clock would form a package that would give fans a more continuous and free-flowing game while ensuring the game became safer for the players.

He said that, pending further analysis during the 2016 season, interchanges could be reduced further in the future.

“We think these changes are a significant first step because they will reward endurance and fitness and open up the game,” he said.

"As a result of these changes, there will be a greater emphasis on skill to complement power and size.

"We have conducted significant research into the evolution of, and current trends in, the game – how the players are getting bigger, faster and stronger, but more importantly what they will look like 10 years from now.

"We believe that, unless we take action now, the game will become more structured, defensive and predictable in years to come.

"So these changes are designed to ensure we stay ahead of the curve - it is about shaping how the game will look in ten years and beyond.

"We want the best football being played by the best footballers, and all our research points to these changes having a significant impact on the quality of games that our supporters deserve every week.

Mr Greenberg said while the timings of the shot clock were not confirmed, they would make the game more continuous and minimise time wasting and stoppages.

He said research indicated the game would also be safer for players under the eight interchange system, with the prospect of “collision injuries” reduced.

Mr Greenberg added the review recommended that the composition of the interchange bench would remain the same.

The review was conducted by an expert committee headed by Dr Kevin Norton, a Professor of Exercise Science in the School of Health Sciences at the University of South Australia. He has conducted extensive research on injury development and fitness conditioning in other sports, including the AFL.

Mr Greenberg said the review was conducted in collaboration with the Rugby Football League, which will make its own recommendation for the UK Super League.

He said it was also completed following consultation with the NRL Clubs, the State Leagues and the RLPA.

The NSWRL and the QRL have indicated their desire to also reduce the number of interchanges in their VB NSW Cup and Intrust Super Cup respectively.

The interchange reduction would also be replicated across the Holden Cup competition from 2016.

The NRL has been working with other governing bodies around ensuring as much uniformity to the competitions in Australia as well as overseas.

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-to-reduce-number-of-interchanges/tabid/10874/newsid/88255/default.aspx

Old man mentioned this to me Sunday

30 second count down for scrums and goal line drop outs he also mentioned

Won’t we see many more players going down injured ??

Clubs and coaches will be already looking for grey areas in these rules

Again the game will compromised by the clubs ,coaches and players and affect the fans

The same people who pay the players wages effectively

Good coz we still don’t have any big men.

But for the sake of attacking football start enforcing the 10m rule and stop players leaving the scrum before the balls out! the entire back row is usually half way to the defensive line by the time the ball’s going IN to the scrum FFS!

Could possibly mean no chance of cherrington on the bench from next year.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Also Mr Greenberg can i request we go to 1 Ref and slow down checking the video Ref for every Try .

I can go to the toilet take a crap and there still reviewing it for the 5th time :brick:

@foreveratiger:

Also Mr Greenberg can i request we go to 1 Ref and slow down checking the video Ref for every Try .

I can go to the toilet take a crap and there still reviewing it for the 5th time :brick:

This is why these changes will mean SFA.

Players will have plenty of breaks while they go to the video ref every time a try is scored!

@simonthetiger:

@foreveratiger:

This is why these changes will mean SFA.

Players will have plenty of breaks while they go to the video ref every time a try is scored!

It is so damn annoying mate , Refs have no confidence in making decisions right there and there in fear of being crucified if they get it wrong .
IMO they do it for advertisement purposes……KFC $9.95 on Tuesday Nights is in bedded in my brain .

@tig_prmz:

Exact opposite I reckon Tig Prmz

He could be the ace up our sleeve

I think most would agree that the game is already heavily structured, defensive and predictable and because of this is losing support to AFL. They would also agree with today’s Todd Greenberg’s twitter statement;

@NRL “Unless we take action now, the game will become more structured, defensive & predictable in years to come.” @Todd_Greenberg

@happy tiger:

@tig_prmz:

Exact opposite I reckon Tig Prmz

He could be the ace up our sleeve

Agreed the rule change may just benefit us…

Changing the interchange from 12 to 10 made very little difference, I expect the same thing will happen going to 8. I wish they had gone with 6.

@tig_prmz:

I honestly think it will increase his chances, the reduction of interchange should boost the impact of these smaller players. He will be able to come on against tired out forwards whilst he is still fresh.

They have to sort out the video ref.

If they wanna speed the game up, you cant be spending ten minutes per game watching the video ref.

Either get rid of it….or no more than a couple of looks,close enough is good enough.

Could mean the return of the 80 minute hooker. Supercoach gold.

It’s a move in the right direction. Apparently amongst others, Matty Johns was vocal in opposition. I wonder why?

@stryker:

It’s a move in the right direction. Apparently amongst others, Matty Johns was vocal in opposition. I wonder why?

Why?

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme