Does JT think about D too much?

JT is obsessed by D. He talks about it all the time. Early in the season he said our D was too weak and we needed to stiffen up.

He even went so far as to claim our defensive impotence had been going on for years and it has been holding us back.

So, just how true are these claims?

I’m calling BS.

Points per game conceded

2011: 17.91
2012: 22.95
2013: 28.63
2014: 26.29
2015: 23.11

In 2012 with a similar defensive record to 2015, we finished one win outside the 8. Attack was the difference, we averaged one try more per game.

I’m willing to stick by JT but I don’t buy much of what he says.

Seriously, I believe that by concentrating on defence Taylor is firmly sticking to his comfort zone. If the team loses he can always say that the team was not blasted out of the park and that things are getting better. It is a very negative way of coaching because it ignores attack to the detriment of the players development, confidence and often their most natural style of playing.

@Silentio:

JT is obsessed by D. He talks about it all the time. Early in the season he said our D was too weak and we needed to stiffen up.

quote]

LOL! I think i need to grow up

@Newtown:

Seriously, I believe that by concentrating on defence Taylor is firmly sticking to his comfort zone. If the team loses he can always say that the team was not blasted out of the park and that things are getting better. It is a very negative way of coaching because it ignores attack to the detriment of the players development, confidence and often their most natural style of playing.

Absolutely agree with this post 100%.

Not at all.
He’s absolutely correct when he says that the comp winner is pretty much always one of the top 2 or 3 defensive teams. We’re well down the list, and have been for a while - this needs to change.

What he’s doing to bring about the change, and whether he’s being successful is another thing….

hate to say it but attack is the way to been a better defensive side. if u are moving the other team around when u have the ball and making them work hard then they have less in there tank for when they have the ball. u also have to have a good defence as well but one helps the other.

Our (Balmain) last coach that thought about D too much didn’t do too well either…

I can’t stop laughing hhahaha

He thinks about it a lot…he doesn’t know how to implement his thoughts though.

I heard Paul McGregor stating that his team lost because they didn’t do anything with the ball to threaten the opposition. He also said the defence was pretty good but he clearly stated that it was unacceptable not to do anything in attack.

I would like to hear this sort of honesty from JT and then actually work on improving the situation.

Thinking about defence isn’t the problem. The problem is getting the team to defend and attack well.

@Sabre:

Our (Balmain) last coach that thought about D too much didn’t do too well either…

😲

Does he think he knows how to improve it? He’s arrogant and stubborn enough to believe so, but there’s bugger-all evidence to support it.

@Silentio:

He even went so far as to claim our defensive impotence had been going on for years and it has been holding us back.

So, just how true are these claims?

I’m calling BS.

Points per game conceded

2011: 17.91
2012: 22.95
2013: 28.63
2014: 26.29
2015: 23.11

In 2012 with a similar defensive record to 2015, we finished one win outside the 8. Attack was the difference, we averaged one try more per game.

I’m willing to stick by JT but I don’t buy much of what he says.

I’m not quite sure what your point is?

2011 is our best defensive season ever, also one of our best results. All the others are non-finals seasons, so matching them is not enough.

Current in 2015 the top sides:
Broncos: 15.11
Cowboys: 18.17
Roosters: 11.78
Rabbits: 16.44
Storm: 14.67
Sharks: 19.67
Dogs: 19.67
Warriors: 21.33

So our best defensive season ever is still worse than 4 of the current Top 8 sides.

I think he is correct that the consistently good teams are the better defensive sides - whether or not he knows how to get us there is another question entirely.

I’d just love to see us have some aggressive line-speed in defence. Look at the way Brisbane have been defending lately. Forget about the wrestle, move up quickly in one line & belt the opposition. Strangle any attacking options before they get started.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme