Big Willie

As the Wests Tigers turn their attention towards next season, senior player Aaron Woods has urged the NRL club not to look past signing ageing warhorse Willie Mason.

With veterans Keith Galloway and Pat Richards both moving to the Super League at the end of the year, skipper Robbie Farah is the only player over 30 currently signed on for the 2016 season.

And while the club has invested heavily in its youth movement, 24-year-old Woods said they should be open to recruiting a player of Mason’s experience.

“I don’t know where we’re at with all the signings, but he’d be a really good player for us,” Woods told AAP.

"He’s played for Australia, he’s played for NSW, and he’s a legend of the game.

"Anybody like that would be outstanding, but it’s the club’s decision.

“I suppose we lost Keithy and Pat Richards, so we’ve lost a bit of experience there. But a lot of the guys will step up next year.”

Woods said he was rocked by news of the impending departure of Galloway, who was released from the final year of his contract to take up a three-year deal with the Leeds Rhinos.

The former Cronulla front-rower leaves the NRL after 202 games in 13 seasons.

“That rattled me a little bit,” Woods said of Galloway’s announcement.

"I had no idea. He told us after the (Roosters) game, but I’m really happy for him.

“He’s got a young family and he’s done what’s best for them. I’m pumped for him, but I’m sad to see him go.”

Farah said he was disappointed to lose one of the club’s most experienced players, but understood it was the best decision for his family.

“He came to us in 2006 and he’s been a stalwart for this club and a great friend of all of ours,” he said.

"It’s very disappointing to see him leave and also an exciting opportunity for him to get a three-year deal over in England and a bit of security for his family.

“Hopefully in this last six weeks, we can send him off with a few wins and enjoy our time together before he leaves.”

Credits: aap

I think he would be a great signing. We missed him a few years ago. Would add much needed experience.
Pure speculation atm

We’ve missed him a few times now LOL

Sheens wanted to sign him in 2012 but the board knocked it back, instead we got Ray Cashmere. I’d be all for it.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Could sign him @ a reasonable price I would imagine.

Probably a great 1 year signing with where we are at. May be not as good as he once was, but still has some fire and competitiveness that we need. He wouldn’t break the bank.

My old man is actually involved with the Knights and I heard some really good reports about Willie during his time there.

Is he really any better than Galloway? I have no problem with a 1 year deal, he’s cut a lot of the nonsense out of his game.

@jirskyr:

Is he really any better than Galloway? I have no problem with a 1 year deal, he’s cut a lot of the nonsense out of his game.

He’s better cause he is cheaper

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Not with the number of interchanges rule coming. No thanks

@wd in perth:

Great minds think alike

Was about the type the same thing

If you lose a prop injured , whoever comes off the bench must be able to play 60-65 minutes

I can’t see Mason able to do that at his age

@happy tiger:

@wd in perth:

Great minds think alike

Was about the type the same thing

If you lose a prop injured , whoever comes off the bench must be able to play 60-65 minutes

I can’t see Mason able to do that at his age

And that is why Woods is worth even more to us now.

People are knocking his form since Origin, the guy is the best long-minutes prop in the game, hands down.

By all reports this guy is extremely cancerous to clubs.
Have seen he & his brother around town a bit, absolute gronks of the highest order.

Big egos, the brother thinks he’s a super star despite being no one except Willie’s brother.
Newy fans reckon he corrupted Mullen, heard em say Mullen has given up and just turns up, doesn’t care about footy, just about parying since Mason came back to the knights a few years ago.

@Demps:

By all reports this guy is extremely cancerous to clubs.
Have seen he & his brother around town a bit, absolute gronks of the highest order.

Big egos, the brother thinks he’s a super star despite being no one except Willie’s brother.
Newy fans reckon he corrupted Mullen, heard em say Mullen has given up and just turns up, doesn’t care about footy, just about parying since Mason came back to the knights a few years ago.

He’s a goose that’s for sure Demps.
I’ve actually got a couple of tidbits of info on the guy.

My old man is actually a long term main sponsor of the knights. His work partner told me about a sponsors trip that they had up to a game on the Gold Coast and said Willie was the absolute highlight. Polite to sponsors and added a real buzz to the trip.

On the other hand, my ex grew up in Fishing Point a few doors down. Big Willie and his brother were dump enough to try to gatecrash a birthday party of hers…. This was when they were younger though.

I think the bloke does have an ego, is a goose and isn’t one of the most intelligent blokes. But he certainly would give his all and would add some buzz and positivity around the place.

He would be a yes for me on a cheap 1-year. If he misbehaves, we need the players in state cup anyway.

Since the Bulldogs every team he has played for has been riddled with in fighting. It may not start with him, but it sure seems to ramp up when he is there.

Roosters - mess and they had a horrible culture when he was there
Newcastle - horrible culture that even Bennett couldn’t fix
Manly - had some cracks showing… cracks are now chasms

Coincidence?

No way for me.

I’ve always been amazed as to why Sterlo has him as a regular on his show. He’s a complete numbnut that can barely string a few words together.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme