NRL running Wests Tigers

I have noticed a lot lately that people are referring to the Wests Tigers as an NRL run club both on the forum and in media. Its a pretty important distinction when trying to understand where the club is heading and its been really annoying me for no apparent reason, probably because i dont want to focus on how crap we’re going on field.

Please correct me if im wrong but under the deal negotiated with the NRL they loaned the club money under the conditions

A. The money is repaid in 2 years.
B. The board and management was restructured with the new board members appointed to be CHOSEN by the NRL.

Under those conditions i dont understand why people think the NRL is running the club. If i asked a recruitment agency to employ staff for me does that mean that they run my company?

These people that were selected are from all accounts well respected business people. Does anyone really believe they are the type of people that would be put in place to be NRL puppets? They are not employee’s, currently or previously, of the NRL so why would they have any loyalty to them?

I think that the club needs to make a point of this because a lot of rumours (like the Perth one) are based on the club being run by the NRL and obviously those things can be destabilizing for the club. For the record i saw M. Go correct the mole on twitter when he suggested it so why not make it clear to everyone?

I assume its to avoid the high level of scrutiny that would be directed their way when things like the cap situation are brought to the limelight. The Wests Tigers are a just like any other company; in most cases, if you over communicate and don’t keep the cards close to your chest, then your true colours shine though and you get hammered by everyone. You don’t, and people speculate and you get hammered by everyone.

If I have low membership numbers, a poor performing team and a coach that seems to be able to word smith his way to finishing his contract (when the likes of Toovey and Stone get the punt with 6 rounds to go), you are going to open Pandora’s box to a litany of other problems like sponsor abandonment, no external player attractions, etc. This is probably why its been a little quiet on the western and inner east fronts.

@Bones:

I have noticed a lot lately that people are referring to the Wests Tigers as an NRL run club both on the forum and in media. Its a pretty important distinction when trying to understand where the club is heading and its been really annoying me for no apparent reason, probably because i dont want to focus on how crap we’re going on field.

Please correct me if im wrong but under the deal negotiated with the NRL they loaned the club money under the conditions

A. The money is repaid in 2 years.
B. The board and management was restructured with the new board members appointed to be CHOSEN by the NRL.

Under those conditions i dont understand why people think the NRL is running the club. If i asked a recruitment agency to employ staff for me does that mean that they run my company?

These people that were selected are from all accounts well respected business people. Does anyone really believe they are the type of people that would be put in place to be NRL puppets? They are not employee’s, currently or previously, of the NRL so why would they have any loyalty to them?

I think that the club needs to make a point of this because a lot of rumours (like the Perth one) are based on the club being run by the NRL and obviously those things can be destabilizing for the club. For the record i saw M. Go correct the mole on twitter when he suggested it so why not make it clear to everyone?

When a bank lends you money and you are insolvent they appoint administrators which, is effectively what the Independent Directors are. The only Sydney clubs that are successful have a common theme Strong and Powerful benefactors that Love their Clubs and are actively involved. Politis (Roosters), Crowe and to a lesser extent Pappas at SSYD, Dib & Peponis at the Dogz.

The only person(s) and alliance that could swing the pendulum is Simon Cook and Wests Ashfield or Harry/Meriton. Given age I hope Wests Ashfield take over the joint but I have a feeling they could care less about the RL Club.

Marina Go posted this on Twitter last night in response to the Mole indicating that three teams run by the NRL are the last three teams on the table:

@marinasgo: @RLW_Mole except that the NRL does not run the #WestsTigers

In part 2 of her Q & A she confirmed that the NRL assisted in interviewing and selecting the three board members, but have no involvement in the running of the club.

The way I remember it is that the NRL contributed Balmain’s share to the joint venture and it had to be paid back next year by Balmain, not the Wests Tigers. Still, I’ve been wrong before but rarely!

@sideline eye:

The way I remember it is that the NRL contributed Balmain’s share to the joint venture and it had to be paid back next year by Balmain, not the Wests Tigers. Still, I’ve been wrong before but rarely!

Your 100% correct - the money was a loan to Balmain to fund their contribution to Wests Tigers. WT are not responsible for any repayment to NRL.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme