Nathan Brown on Sterlo show

Interesting words from Brown last night on the sterlo show, expressed his thoughts on how clubs with not much footy expieriance on boards select a coach. Said just because a perspective coach can talk a lot does not mean he can coach ! Sometimes when appointing the big talker the club goes backwards would suspect this was a shot at the Tigers board and Taylor probable sour grapes ….but when the team plays like a reserve grade side with no improvement during the season other than going backwards and is sitting last I think this is fair comment .He also Said he was only interested in the Tigers job whether he would of been better or not we will never know ,I feel the team would not be running last !

Absolute fair comment.

Good on him for having the balls to say it.

It is why we are in this mess, the board did not have the experience to pick the best football coach. They went with the most impressive presentation.

The results this year are on them.

@Tiger In The Gong:

The results this year are on them.

Not just this year but the next two as well. Spoons galore coming up.

His second comment was more interesting if I heard correctly

He had one interview and didn’t get a call back

If that’s true , that disrespectful and lacks class

I ring back every person we interview

He didn’t drop names but he’s 100% right.
The interviews were a waste of time and the best talker got the job.
As he stated, we should have identified what coach we needed and moved heaven and earth to get them.
Surely the powers that be know who would be the man for the job but not sure if they made the right choice.
Hopefully they fluked it and JT turns out to be the man and we get up in the coming years.

Well Taylor is here now whether Brown is right or wrong

But then it’s ok to talk the talk Browny , you have to ask yourself why not one club has hired him since leaving the NRL

Whatever game he talks mustn’t sound good to any NRL club ……

Nathan Brown gets linked to every NRL Coaching job that has come up in the last 5 years…yet he still hasn’t got a gig anywhere…just sayin…

He did say that the only job he’s wanted in the last 6 years was the Tigers head coaching job and that he’s frustrated that he gets linked with every nrl coaching job that comes up when he isn’t or hasn’t even been interested. Which if you think about it is probably detrimental to his reputation to be seen as desperate for an nrl head coaching job losing out every time.

Was always my no1 choice, but with what is happening at our club I doubt he would have been able to do any better than Taylor. It is the hardest gig in the world coaching a NRL team, but coach a team without the ability to fix the short commings in their roster is impossible

@marzie:

He did say that the only job he’s wanted in the last 6 years was the Tigers head coaching job and that he’s frustrated that he gets linked with every nrl coaching job that comes up when he isn’t or hasn’t even been interested. Which if you think about it is probably detrimental to his reputation to be seen as desperate for an nrl head coaching job losing out every time.

i don’t believe that…

if i was the board, i will always go for the guy who talks smart and a lot. JT showed he’s desperate for the job, had plans, did the prep and presented it in a way that won the board.

dumb souls who would just turn up to interviews thinking that their experience is enough (without results) would never get picked.

we made the right call on JT… we also made the right call on Mick Potter when we hired him.

the wrong calls were not sacking sheens before it got out of control and the crap that went on last year with G. Tallis and Farah… particularly how the management handled that situation. Not re-signing Potter last year was the right call- whether there was internal turmoil or external, he had lost control. there was no way but out.

you can’t expect to get every call right… you hit some, you miss some. I hope the board is not as fickle as some of us and stick with JT for the remainder of the contract. He has an idea, a vision and believes that it can be executed… i’m still iffy about it but as long as he is able to get the players and management on board- there is nothing we should complain about.

Perhaps Brown shouldn’t have lobbed up thinking that he only had to show his face to get the gig. Taylor trumped him in terms of professionalism. Wrong decision in hindsight? Perhaps, but who did the groundwork upfront and who relied on reputation and what was the end result?

Tigers have already shown that board members who get a gig because they were involved as footballers can be terrible administrators. “Jobs for the boys” is not the way to go in business.

Boards should be mostly astute business or legal persons, with links to community, other businesses and funding. That is why NRL hired David Smith, even though he knew stuff-all about rugby league. If they also happen to be highly experienced in footy, then that is a bonus.

I agree with tig_prmz - you have to choose candidates who are well-prepared, earnest and enthusiastic about the role. Negative traits shown in interviews are a warning sign, and will almost certainly manifest as bigger issues down the track.

Don’t forget that Tigers had Brian Smith do a systems audit-type review prior to selecting a new coach - they had professional coach input into how the club should move forward.

As for taking seriously the comments of the bloke that didn’t get the job…

@marzie:

unless im reading it incorrectly, the first sentence in this paragraph is basically an exact contradiction of the second: you say he said that he only wanted the one job, is frustrated that he is linked with all these other jobs he isnt interested in but then say it is detrimental to his reputation by losing out every time?

if anything, he is redeeming his reputation (if thought to be unwanted constantly) by saying he was only really interested in the one job and hasnt been knocked back for all the others…

as for the appointment of taylor, well he obviously did everything right during the interview process, which is how you get a job in most industries. but if brown is right in saying he didnt even get a call back from the club, well that is simply disrespectful and unprofessional. it has happened to me plenty and my view when this happens is that i wouldnt want to work for a company like that anyway.

Nathan Brown is a much better coach than Taylor. He will show it soon.

@Black Orange White:

Nathan Brown is a much better coach than Taylor. He will show it soon.

where is he going to show it……

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme