NRL 360

Wonder if anyone saw the story Paul Kent was running in regards to Penrith knocking back the funding to build their centre of excellence

Obviously there are provisions that the NRL provide up front

The most controversial one is any club that has received funding must sign a ten year agreement

The other 4 clubs that have asked for help have all signed this WT’s ,Saints ,Newcastle and Titans

The reason for this is to try and lessen the power of having all clubs coming off contracts at the same time and making unreasonable demands

Penrith rejected the NRL and ended up getting a back loan and are renting the space the NRL demanded for free now

But this is where it gets interesting

The other clubs aren’t happy with the NRL and had a meeting with the NRL after SOO putting some areas they wanted the NRL to look into and make changes The clubs supposedly warned the NRL they wanted them to take their demands seriously

The NRL had done nothing and the clubs are seething

Now whether there is any truth to this , but the clubs may have been looking at putting some big threats back at the NRL knowing that it could throw the TV rights deals into chaos by doing so

If this is so the NRL needs to act soon , to lose any funding from the TV rights or talk of Super League Mark 2 could cost the league hundreds of million of dollars and make a huge mess of salary cap funding

I’m a touch sceptical , as I wonder if Kent is trying to knock the price down for his boss (foxtel )and or the rumours of making more games FTA every weekend

Wonder what others thoughts are ??

@happy tiger:

Wonder if anyone saw the story Paul Kent was running in regards to Penrith knocking back the funding to build their centre of excellence

The most controversial one is any club that has received funding must sign a ten year agreement

The other 4 clubs that have asked for help have all signed this WT’s ,Saints ,Newcastle and Titans

The reason for this is to try and lessen the power of having all clubs coming off contracts at the same time and making unreasonable demands

Penrith rejected the NRL and ended up getting a back loan and are renting the space the NRL demanded for free now

The other clubs aren’t happy with the NRL and had a meeting with the NRL after SOO putting some areas they wanted the NRL to look into and make changes The clubs supposedly warned the NRL they wanted them to take their demands seriously

Now whether there is any truth to this , but the clubs may have been looking at putting some big threats back at the NRL knowing that it could throw the TV rights deals into chaos by doing so

If this is so the NRL needs to act soon , to lose any funding from the TV rights or talk of Super League Mark 2 could cost the league hundreds of million of dollars and make a huge mess of salary cap funding

I’m a touch sceptical , as I wonder if Kent is trying to knock the price down for his boss (foxtel )and or the rumours of making more games FTA every weekend

I see those two (Ikin and Kent) almost everyday at St Leonards & TAFE. Their studio is next to TAFE.

@happy tiger:

I can see your thoughts Happy,but if the nrl didnt learn from the previous SL debacle then there is absolutely no hope for Rugby League as we know it….there are many things to sort and the ball is in the nrl court…they are the only ones that can make this comp a successful one by working with the entire clubs involved…

In the last TV deal , Channel 7 offered more live FTA games and more money

That would put pressure on Foxtel

That’s why I’m slightly cynical about Kent’s comments

Is he fear mongering or do the other 12 clubs have an agenda ??

I watched this segment as well Happy the thought of another ‘war’ between the clubs and nrl would not go down well although I would be surprised if the parties can’t sort something out to their mutual benefit and existence. The other point I thought was interesting was that the nrl financially supported clubs are all at the bottom of the ladder except saints and this is one of my fears in that those clubs are now open to scrutiny and as such could be at a disadvantage when compared to the other clubs who are financially independent and can’t be as closely scrutinised, just a thought may be just a coincidence.

I think the clubs always do some scare-mongering around the time of the TV deal, I’m not surprised. It’s like players with upcoming contracts, they put a few feelers out to other clubs, talk about switching to rugby… all to try and boost price and induce a little panic.

What are the clubs gonna do? Break away and start their own comp again? They haven’t the money, NRL has almost all the control. It’s just some posturing to try and grab more pie when the next deal comes in.

It is all about the $. The clubs are not happy with the amount of money they are allocated out of the pot and are putting pressure on the commission. One of the real problems is the ego of John Grant and his reluctance to negotiate. The muppet David Smith is nothing more than an obstacle for the clubs.

@cunno:

I watched this segment as well Happy the thought of another ‘war’ between the clubs and nrl would not go down well although I would be surprised if the parties can’t sort something out to their mutual benefit and existence. The other point I thought was interesting was that the nrl financially supported clubs are all at the bottom of the ladder except saints and this is one of my fears in that those clubs are now open to scrutiny and as such could be at a disadvantage when compared to the other clubs who are financially independent and can’t be as closely scrutinised, just a thought may be just a coincidence.

The biggest problem may be as they stated with having to turn to the NRL before making any decision which creates tension with the player managers and clubs

That was probably the scary thing for the WT’s

When player manager don’t want to deal with the NRL financed sides because of the time wasting and struggles to do deals

@sheer64:

It is all about the $. The clubs are not happy with the amount of money they are allocated out of the pot and are putting pressure on the commission. One of the real problems is the ego of John Grant and his reluctance to negotiate. The muppet David Smith is nothing more than an obstacle for the clubs.

I find it hard to identify what value adding the Commission has provided to the game and therefore the relevance of Grant and co. On the face of it I can see why clubs want more money as the NRL seem to be hoarding a fair bit, as long as any increase is spent correctly then why not besides, Wests Tigers could well do with an additional hand out.

@happy tiger:

@cunno:

The biggest problem may be as they stated with having to turn to the NRL before making any decision which creates tension with the player managers and clubs

When player manager don’t want to deal with the NRL financed sides because of the time wasting and struggles to do deals

That was in relation the the FULLY controlled Titans,as has been stated time and time again by Marina Go…… Wests Tigers are not controlled at a Board level by the NRL they are Independent Board of directors…

Balmain have received the funding loans from the NRL which needs to be repaid by them…The WESTS Tigers do not need to GO to the NRL for any decision making…

jirskyr is on the money…chicken little…

@Geo.:

@happy tiger:

@cunno:

That was in relation the the FULLY controlled Titans,as has been stated time and time again by Marina Go…… Wests Tigers are not controlled at a Board level by the NRL they are Independent Board of directors…

Balmain have received the funding loans from the NRL which needs to be repaid by them…The WESTS Tigers do not need to GO to the NRL for any decision making…

jirskyr is on the money…chicken little…

I know that Marina Go wanted to make it clear in her latest answers to members/supporters that the Board is not controlled by the NRL that is why I was surprised when Kent said that the Boards of the mentioned clubs were controlled by the NRL which contradicts what Go said, I guess he is wrong.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme