Has losing 2 seperate sides affected our senior side ??

Up until 2012 we had the separate entities in NSW Cup

Balmain and Wests

Has amalgamating the two affected our depth of players ??

Is it just coincidence that we have gone backwards since 2012 as a senior squad and a perceived lack of depth because we more players we could technically call upon with the 2nd tier contracts ??

Please don’t turn this into a Wests v Balmain thing , that’s not the question being asked :sign:

Not at all mate, Not even a little bit.
We are only allowed to call in so many players under the 2nd tier cap as it is - No matter how many feeder teams you have.
This year we have blooded 7 players, Last year we blooded 11 (5 from other clubs with NRL exp.) - That’s not including players who were always top 25 anyway…
A second tier team (In 2010-2012) was costing over $500,000 a year to run.

• Don’t know what it is now…
    For the sake of a couple outside backs, and a couple of forwards needed each year “if that” As you also have the left over 7 from top 25 each week. Can’t justify the outlay.
    2013 Was one of our worst injury years and I think we used 33-34 Players… For the extra 8 players we used in our worst year, Just cant justify the extra outlay.
    Also staying away from inner and outer Wests argument - I don’t think when trying to streamline an organisation, plays, culture etc. you can’t have teams that oppose each other 26 weeks of the year… At ANY level.
    A feeder teams primary function is to feed the NRL team, Cant have 2 feeder teams trying to get the jump on each other.

That said, Melbourne, Brisbane and Titans (I believe?) have more than one feeder team - However, They’re in the QRL and I believe are reasonably self sufficient. I don’t think (Outside surplus players) Those teams wouldn’t contribute much financially to the organisation.

Since 2011 - We haven’t been able to afford 1 decent NRL team… The prospect of the organisation paying for 2 2nd tier teams, When out top tier team is so bog ordinary is un-fathomable…

No, because BRET got all the fringe first graders and Wests were treated like the red headed step child. They got nothing. Not to say it’s not a smart move to have all your fringe first graders playing together, but from a representative point of view it’s no good having two clubs when you’re only setting one up for success.

Moreover, we do field two NSW Cup sides at the moment: our state cup side, and our first grade side.

That was only in the last year CB

• When Wests decided to go it alone….

@Cultured Bogan:

No, because BRET got all the fringe first graders and Wests were treated like the red headed step child. They got nothing.

Now we are hashing up ancient arguments.

That happened because Sheens wanted a single WT reserve grade side to feed into NRL, and the magpies refused and wanted to field their own stand alone side.

Yes it was their right to do so (and get beaten 70-0 each week, and then offer to become canberra’s feeder club), but at the end of the day reserve grade is there to assist the NRL side. No other reason.

History proved sheens to be correct on this occasion.

Looking back on those days, and not having to put up with arguments about pedantic things such as which reserve grade side does a player drop back into, makes it all worthwhile having just one senior club.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Yeah I know of all the mechanics of the situation, it wasn’t really my point. It is more so that you can’t have two sides and pour all resources into one. It makes a farce of the situation.

Given that we haven’t had roaring success in NSW cup either, it would stand to suggest that we haven’t lost out much by only fielding one side.

In any case, we’ve merged at State Cup level and it’s put an end that whole sorry saga.

@batboy:

Not at all mate, Not even a little bit.
We are only allowed to call in so many players under the 2nd tier cap as it is - No matter how many feeder teams you have.
This year we have blooded 7 players, Last year we blooded 11 (5 from other clubs with NRL exp.) - That’s not including players who were always top 25 anyway…
A second tier team (In 2010-2012) was costing over $500,000 a year to run.

• Don’t know what it is now…
    For the sake of a couple outside backs, and a couple of forwards needed each year “if that” As you also have the left over 7 from top 25 each week. Can’t justify the outlay.
    2013 Was one of our worst injury years and I think we used 33-34 Players… For the extra 8 players we used in our worst year, Just cant justify the extra outlay.
    Also staying away from inner and outer Wests argument - I don’t think when trying to streamline an organisation, plays, culture etc. you can’t have teams that oppose each other 26 weeks of the year… At ANY level.
    A feeder teams primary function is to feed the NRL team, Cant have 2 feeder teams trying to get the jump on each other.

That said, Melbourne, Brisbane and Titans (I believe?) have more than one feeder team - However, They’re in the QRL and I believe are reasonably self sufficient. I don’t think (Outside surplus players) Those teams wouldn’t contribute much financially to the organisation.

Since 2011 - We haven’t been able to afford 1 decent NRL team… The prospect of the organisation paying for 2 2nd tier teams, When out top tier team is so bog ordinary is un-fathomable…

Yeah I think it costed about 350-400 k to run the extra team if memory serves

My point was it gave us a wider variety of players that you could use to fit the needs of the NRL side

We can’t afford it I know , we just seemed to have far greater depth then

Probably just coincidence

from my point of view I think it was madness to combine them, not on any factional bias, rather the ability to nurture 2 pools of talent, each with their own scouting and recruitment departments which could in turn unearth different types of players.

I just saw the exercise as bottle necking our development pathways.

They 2 sides were as crap then as the current one is now ….so NO…

How many players from Wests even got a sniff at FG…ZERO…

Dumbest thread of the WEEK…

@happy tiger:

Yeah I think it costed about 350-400 k to run the extra team if memory serves

My point was it gave us a wider variety of players that you could use to fit the needs of the NRL side

We can’t afford it I know , we just seemed to have far greater depth then

Probably just coincidence

On the cost point, I wouldnt be so sure that the cost of running the teams actually fell on the WT.

IIRC Wests Ashfield has taken over funding of the team which was combined (unsure if Ryde Eastwood is also footing some of the bill), and Wests Campo would have run the other off their own back.

I may be wrong, though I was under the impression the 2 teams were run by the JV partners respectively.

@Geo.:

So why did it feel we had greater depth then than we do now ??

The idea of commenting is you answer the OP’s question :brick:

Dopey to the end

So Geo was it how it was or just coincidence ??

From now on , I will PM you and explain my threads in more detail

Its my fault , I forget your here and I should dumb my questions down 😆

@happy tiger:

@Geo.:

Dopey to the end

Relax …you will give yourself a headache…

Feelings aren’t reality…

We have less depth now cause the Rosters are completely different to back then…It’s not Rocket Surgery… 😒

@Geo.:

@happy tiger:

@Geo.:

Dopey to the end

Relax …you will give yourself a headache…

Feelings aren’t reality…

We have less depth now cause the Rosters are completely different to back then…It’s not Rocket Surgery… 😒

No in your case its Brain Science

And in your case some of my staff could come up with their thesis on your plight ❓

BRET…

Josh Davis?

BRET was gun

It is well and good to talk about depth but in reality very few get an opportunity to be selected from the lower grade at this club …so it really is irrelevant talking about the strength of the premier league side either way, why have one just save the money ,it must be very demoralising being in that grade at the Tigers as you full well know it is like winning the lottery to get a call up.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme