TAYLOR..Tigers can compete with Best in NRL...

Jason Taylor says Tigers can compete with the best teams in the NRL despite sitting in last place
AAP JULY 30, 2015 12:52PM SHARE

The Tigers are in serious danger of finishing with the wooden spoon.The Tigers are in serious danger of finishing with the wooden spoon.

THEY’VE had 75 points put on in them in the last fortnight and are sitting dead last, but Jason Taylor says there’s not much between his Wests Tigers and the NRL’s heavyweights.

The axing of Newcastle coach Rick Stone and Manly mentor Geoff Toovey, along with threatened changes to their underperforming rosters, has turned the spotlight more closely on Taylor and his team who are a miserable 5-13 for the season.

In the first year of a three-year deal and in what many wrote off as a development season, Taylor’s job is not under that sort of pressure.

But the scorelines against Brisbane (42-16) and Sydney Roosters (33-8) in the last two weeks make uncomfortable reading going into Friday’s clash with another powerhouse — Melbourne.

Taylor empathised with Stone and Toovey on Thursday, noting the often limited span for coaching stints.

“It is tough. That side of the game is very tough to handle, it’s really hard on those coaches and their families, that’s for sure,” Taylor said.

“We all know it’s part of it when we go into it. You’ve got to expect it.” However he was not prepared to discuss whether any of his players were under pressure to keep their jobs for next season should results not improve in the final six rounds.

“I am brushing that question,” said Taylor.

He saw plenty to like in his players’ efforts against Brisbane and the Roosters.

“We’ve been pretty good for a lot of the games in the last two weeks against some of the better teams in the competition,” Taylor said.

“We just want more of that and 80 minutes is what we’re after.” The Tigers will have the services of captain and hooker Robbie Farah against the Storm but that will be offset by the loss of New Zealand Test back-rower Martin Taupau due to suspension.

Taylor described this week’s opponents Melbourne as a model team and one whose style he was trying to replicate.

“They’re a very disciplined team and they’ve played a very similar style for a long time in regards to how they make the opposition work for everything,” Taylor said.

“Every time we’ll be coming from deep in our half and we’ve got to get ready for that battle.

“And that’s a style we’ve been working on all year.

“We’ve made some progress but we want to keep improving there. “It’s a great challenge in regards to a team that plays a grand final-winning type of football.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/jason-taylor-says-tigers-can-compete-with-the-best-teams-in-the-nrl-despite-sitting-in-last-place/story-fni3gpz1-1227463154368?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dailytelegraphnrlndm+(Daily+Telegraph+|+NRL)

I hope and wish that Taylor really believes what he is saying.

@Newtown:

I hope and wish that Taylor really believes what he is saying.

This is the problem he does believe what he is saying!

As John Peard said last night to Toovey

There are two types of coaches

The ones just sacked and the ones waiting to be sacked

As I posted in reply to Jirskyr yesterday, what JT really means is hidden halfway in the article…

“We’ve been pretty good for a lot of the games in the last two weeks against some of the better teams in the competition,” Taylor said.

“We just want more of that and 80 minutes is what we’re after.”

Whats not to believe in the above quote?

that takes the cake JT now believes his own dribble, hope he trys walking on water, say 20 ks of the coast.

@innsaneink:

As I posted in reply to Jirskyr yesterday, what JT really means is hidden halfway in the article…

Is that the same 80 minutes he has been after since round 2 ? hope he can find it before kick off in 2016 it has to be around at Concord somewhere…

@Snake:

@innsaneink:

Is that the same 80 minutes he has been after since round 2 ? hope he can find it before kick off in 2016 it has to be around at Concord somewhere…

mmmm hmm

I appreciate Taylor’s enthusiasm and vision, his biggest problem is getting the team to play for 80 minutes. How we manage to switch off so regularly I still can’t really fathom but it’s a massive problem. We turned up for 80 minutes against the Dogs and Souths and tuned both of them up. We’ve played in patches against other sides and also looked pretty good, but we switch off, damn we suck something bad.

Leadership. Recognise mental slumps and turn them around consistently.

@Snake:

@innsaneink:

If the players are clocking off for the last 20 minutes maybe the players need to be paid overtime to put some work in during that last period of play. It is of course a professional sport.

This is still happening after 20 rounds …I can not believe if he has not got it happening by now well what does 2016 bring . Yes there are a lot of younger guys and other clubs have them to …do other coaches keep dribbling the same thing out week after week. Taylor is the head coach it reflects on him that at round 21 he has not been able to get HIS NRL players to play 80 minutes. :wtf

@Snake:

This is still happening after 20 rounds …I can not believe if he has not got it happening by now well what does 2016 bring . Yes there are a lot of younger guys and other clubs have them to …do other coaches keep dribbling the same thing out week after week. Taylor is the head coach it reflects on him that at round 21 he has not been able to get HIS NRL players to play 80 minutes. :wtf

I’m afraid that he seems to be blaming his players rather than himself.

@Newtown:

@Snake:

I’m afraid that he seems to be blaming his players rather than himself.

He did the same at Souths and often suggested in the media that they were not up to NRL standard.

Its what he does when he cant get them to improve.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme