NRL crowds slumping...

Hey guys,an article in news.com.au NRL regarding poor attendants at the nrl games…
Talking about different venues,pricing etc,one of the writers suggestions was…
Why not take a game to Lidcombe oval once in the year…WESTS Tigers v Manly,now that would be a great event,going back to the " fibros v Sivertails…

What are your thoughts or suggestions for better crowd numbers ??

Ban the wrestle , 3 man tackles and the crowds will come back

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

@TrueTiger:

Hey guys,an article in news.com.au NRL regarding poor attendants at the nrl games…
Talking about different venues,pricing etc,one of the writers suggestions was…
Why not take a game to Lidcombe oval once in the year…WESTS Tigers v Manly,now that would be a great event,going back to the " fibros v Sivertails…

What are your thoughts or suggestions for better crowd numbers ??

bandaid

@alexaki:

Ban the wrestle , 3 man tackles and the crowds will come back

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Sorry, but I completely disagree with that. People don’t go to games because it’s too easy not to - Sydney in particular doesn’t have a culture of ‘real fans go to matches’. There is far too much of a tendency in Sydney for people who consider themselves hardcore fans (people who in Melbourne, Perth or the UK would be at the ground, week in, week out, rain or shine, good team or bad) to excuse themselves from attendance for spurious reasons, without considering themselves less good fans as a result.

Until the culture changes so that people consider it a badge of honour to go to games I don’t think this problem is solvable. And actually bending over backwards to accommodate the fleeting interest of the most casual of fair weather fans, let along actually changing the game to do so, arguably does exactly the opposite.

I would agree it must be a culture thing. There is no other explanation to me that makes much sense considering tv numbers (viewers) are good. Proving the sport itself is popular enough.
I would like to see the wrestle largely eradicated from the game however regardless of whether it increases crowd numbers or not

Better game to watch on TV for those who love to really analyse each players performance- but I had a much better time being there to enjoy the win with the other Tigers fans - and then I watched the replay when I got home. If we we were leading the comp I believe it would have been packed on Friday night. Some fans just not prepared to pay $32 to see their team get beat when you can do that for free at home.

Its become to easy to get your NRL fix by other means, big screen at the pub,your own lounge room or live streaming on a tablet or a phone and once you get out of the habit of going to the ground it becomes easy to come up with a excuse not to go.

The product itself has become a little predictable but I do not want to get like super rugby and end up with massive score lines, their has to be a balance between attack and defence. Some how the NRL have to promote and encourage people to go to the ground at lot better than they do now

One thing for certain the game itself is a very resilient product and if you look over the past fifty years, their have been slumps along the way but the game always bounces back

I paid $32 on Friday night could of got it a bit cheaper on line but the feel at the gate was this amount to stand on grass was a bit rich … $25 walk up would be ok .

Ticket prices are way to high. Food and drinks at all grounds are poor quality and hugely expensive. Two very basic things.
Prices should be comparable to the (already inflated) prices of going to the movies. 2 hours of entertainment for about $20. If you’re stupid enough to want popcorn and coke (beer and a pie) then you stump the extra $10-15. Monday/Thursday night games should be $12-15.

The things is the game is built for television these days. Everything revolves around catering for tv companies and getting a higher tv deal. This comes at the expense of what fans actually want, and so crowds decline. The NRL needs to re-invest some of the $ from the deal into making it cheaper/better for fans to attend games.

Sydney sporting culture is very fickle. Win, and people will come, well a few more will. Lose, only die hards will show up.

There’s also very little atmosphere at practically every single NRL match these days. 75 mins of silence combined with 5 mins of rudimental chanting combined with a few cheers for points/boos for the ref etc.

Even places like LO are pretty dead these days as we don’t even have traditional rivals so there’s much less rivalry on and off the field.

@Balmain Boy:

Ticket prices are way to high. Food and drinks at all grounds are poor quality and hugely expensive. Two very basic things.
Prices should be comparable to the (already inflated) prices of going to the movies. 2 hours of entertainment for about $20. If you’re stupid enough to want popcorn and coke (beer and a pie) then you stump the extra $10-15. Monday/Thursday night games should be $12-15.

The things is the game is built for television these days. Everything revolves around catering for tv companies and getting a higher tv deal. This comes at the expense of what fans actually want, and so crowds decline. The NRL needs to re-invest some of the $ from the deal into making it cheaper/better for fans to attend games.

Sydney sporting culture is very fickle. Win, and people will come, well a few more will. Lose, only die hards will show up.

There’s also very little atmosphere at practically every single NRL match these days. 75 mins of silence combined with 5 mins of rudimental chanting combined with a few cheers for points/boos for the ref etc.

Even places like LO are pretty dead these days as we don’t even have traditional rivals so there’s much less rivalry on and off the field.

As was suggested at the start of the thread,would promoting a game at Lidcombe Oval,the Maggies home ground from the past against traditional rivals Manly the Silvertails,could this be an event that would encourage genuine interest and celebrate what rugby league was traditionally all about ? Would the crowds come ?…
I can understand that ANZ stadium has tied up teams to play there by giving them guaranteed income,however it doesn’t matter how excited you are to watch your team playing a great game against the opposition at the stadium,it always seems like a graveyard when 8/12000 fans get there because it is so huge that it seems almost empty…

If at ANZ they play an international game of soccer say Liverpool come over,then they get 80/100,000 at the bloody game and it seems to be awesome because of the amount of people there…

Just my thoughts,maybe some on here could suggest other ways to promote our great game …

@Balmain Boy:

Ticket prices aren’t too high. EPL charges an insane amount and they get crowds five or ten times NRL. It’s ludicrous to think that live entertainment featuring the best in the world at their sport should be priced on a par with watching a film.

I do accept that some people really struggle, but sadly for these people almost any amount of money is too much. And you just can’t price up the game to suit the needs of literally every single person who might want to go. That’s not to mention the fact that NRL is littered with two for the price of one offers, discounted family tickets, free juniors, giveaways at local clubs… I got offered six free tickets to the Souths v Manly preliminary final a couple of years back because I filled in an online NRL questionnaire. If you’re prepared to be a little creative, you can find ways of getting into NRL games for next to nothing.

I do agree that a well-publicised initiative to regularly and reliably discount the price of tickets for Monday night games would be interesting. It would also be good PR for Fox if they subsidised it: since everyone knows MNF is something Fox Sports wants, why not be seen to do something to help people come to these games? However, I’d be astonished if it put more than a thousand or so on the gates. As I said before, I just don’t think people in Sydney are in the habit of going to things - make MNF tickets $10 a go and you’d just get the next level of moaning: it’s too cold, the game’s on TV anyway. we’re no good, I can’t park easily, it’s $7 for a burger, my kids have to go to school on Tuesday…

In 2005, the NRL reached record levels of popularity for its competition. Total crowds for the competition season almost reached the figures for the last year of the competition conducted by the ARL competition of 1995, prior to the Super League war. The average attendance record remained until 2010.[13] From 2004 to 2005, there was a 39% increase in sponsorship, a 41% increase in merchandise royalties, and a 12% increase in playing participation.[14] In 2005, Business Review Weekly ranked the NRL 497 in revenue of Australian private companies, with revenue of A$66.1m (+7%) with 35 employees….In 2005, a record national audience of 4.1 million tuned in to watch the grand final between the Wests Tigers and the North Queensland Cowboys.[15]”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rugby_League

I have an ANZ membership this year, swapping from the Leichhardt membership of last two years and while it’s fun to see a game, there really isn’t much atmosphere unless you get 20-30K. When you get 30K (like the Dogs this year, or Eels last year), it’s incredible and as much fun as LO. Game experience for me is all about sharing it with the fans - because the view isn’t always the best, and it’s much more expensive. How do you get more people to the game? I dunno.

Also some other clubs supporters are more vocal than ours - whether this is good, I don’t know, but in members anyway we don’t seem to have many chants or calls…just an opinion.

Double headers are still the answer in my opinion ,especially Saturdays and Sundays

At least i can say i have been to more games this year than hobbo :roll

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme