Te Maire Martin

Was just thinking that if WT supposedly couldn’t afford to spend $85k on keeping TMM, how can we all of a sudden put Chee Kam, Littlejohn and that rah-rah bloke on our roster for next season? Was TMM let go just because WT are so determined to put absolute faith in Moses that no-one else was going to get a look-in (which is probably the case) or was there some other reason behind it? Seems a bit strange IMO.

@Fade To Black:

Was just thinking that if WT supposedly couldn’t afford to spend $85k on keeping TMM, how can we all of a sudden put Chee Kam, Littlejohn and that rah-rah bloke on our roster for next season? Was TMM let go just because WT are so determined to put absolute faith in Moses that no-one else was going to get a look-in (which is probably the case) or was there some other reason behind it? Seems a bit strange IMO.

The answer is yes, he was let go because we are invested elsewhere. Infact i still have not seen anything to suggest we even offered him a contract.

The 85k was what the club would have had to pay if we decided to take the option on him. The option was in the clubs favour.

We didnt exercise that option.

@Fade To Black:

Its the main reason we punted Austin, so assume yes.

We have gone all in on Brooks and Moses simple as that.

From what I heard only two clubs didn’t chase TeMaire and we were one of them.

@Fade To Black:

Understand the thinking but unrelated

These players are on 2nd tier contracts, TMM wouldn’t have been he would of been on a NRL deal.

Also should point out that these announcements were made after Galloway was confirmed leaving. No NRL contract can be agree announced/signed if a club is over the cap until they are under the primary salary cap regardless who the player is and which tier it sits within.

Obviously dodge things can happen but given we are under the watchful eye of the NRL I imagine we will be playing very close attention to these rules.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Bad vision though, injuries strike at any time! Could of put time into making him a centre next season , he is one of the fastest at the club!

@Tiger In The Gong:

@Fade To Black:

The answer is yes, he was let go because we are invested elsewhere. Infact i still have not seen anything to suggest we even offered him a contract.

The 85k was what the club would have had to pay if we decided to take the option on him. The option was in the clubs favour.

Without knowing details id say no. The problem would be if the Panthers are offering 150-200 a season why would the club force him to stay knowing he would leave as soon as he could anyway?

It’s not that they couldnt afford 85k, same as the Austin situation. He got offered a better contract elsewhere and the club decided not to stand in his way.

@Bones:

@Tiger In The Gong:

@Fade To Black:

Without knowing details id say no. The problem would be if the Panthers are offering 150-200 a season why would the club force him to stay knowing he would leave as soon as he could anyway?

It’s not that they couldnt afford 85k, same as the Austin situation. He got offered a better contract elsewhere and the club decided not to stand in his way.

It is always the clubs fault …I would have made the same choice as would most here ,you chase your dreams not sit on a bench and hope one day it will happen …Wallace at Penrith will be retiring in the not to distant future so a probable opportunity comes …good luck to him ,let’s not blame the club for everything .

@Snake:

@Bones:

@Tiger In The Gong:

@Fade To Black:

It is always the clubs fault …I would have made the same choice as would most here ,you chase your dreams not sit on a bench and hope one day it will happen …Wallace at Penrith will be retiring in the not to distant future so a probable opportunity comes …good luck to him ,let’s not blame the club for everything .

Im sorry but this is just wrong, both of you make a reasonable point but these decisions were not in the best interest of the club.

What if Moses goes down with a career ending injury. What if it was Brooks who never played again?

Clubs like the Bulldogs have Reynolds, Hodkinson and Mbye all competing for the 2 positions, its a real position of strength.

We cant aspire to be a top 4 team and run the club like a charity.

You hold on to Martin for $85k, hell even increase it to 120k if you think he deserves it and you make the hard decisions about who you let go when you need to.

You dont make these decisions 2 years out out of the goodness of your heart. Thats how you aspire to be a bottom 4 team!

Using the Dogs is a bad example since they’ve now let go of Hodkinson and it’s looking like it’s possible Mybe might leave as well after next year with quite a few clubs chasing him.

Martin is two years away from NRL.
What if Brooks or Moses goes down next year - Martin would be no help, probably not in 2017 either.

Littlejohn is the answer for next year as a replacement; if he goes ok, probably again in 2017.

2018 who knows? There will be another on the horizon by then.

Martin is too small and the games I saw him play (all I can go on) - don’t rate him at all.

Club made the right decision imo.

Im sorry but this is just wrong, both of you make a reasonable point but these decisions were not in the best interest of the club.

What if Moses goes down with a career ending injury. What if it was Brooks who never played again?

Clubs like the Bulldogs have Reynolds, Hodkinson and Mbye all competing for the 2 positions, its a real position of strength.

You hold on to Martin for $85k, hell even increase it to 120k if you think he deserves it and you make the hard decisions about who you let go when you need to.

You dont make these decisions 2 years out out of the goodness of your heart. Thats how you aspire to be a bottom 4 team!

YEP!!
That is exactly what you do…. In 1942 Germany.

• Te Maires’ manager fields offers rival clubs, Takes them to the club and asks them if they’re going to trigger their option
  • Which I am sure they would have.
    PLEASE REMEMBER!! He’s still in 20’s and that option possibly isn’t a second tier contract ($85k) It could be for 30k… (My apprentice is in his 2nd year of 20’s with the Raiders, He got 8k - Last years leading tryscorer)
  • We signed him as a kid, at that point we wouldn’t have known how far along he would have come until now… Which his current offers are all based.
    NOW we could hold a gun to his head and say “We have contract, You play with us”, And pay him the amount, With no promise of first grade next year (Or a contract after that)…
    ASSUMING he would still want to play with us for a year, and not tell us to stick it and play in Q Cup or NZ while the Panthers still payed him.
    OR we can say, You have a much better offer for your future there - We will not stand in your way.

It’s called being realistic - Not aspiring to be a bottom 4 team.

@batboy:

YEP!!
That is exactly what you do…. In 1942 Germany.

• Te Maires’ manager fields offers rival clubs, Takes them to the club and asks them if they’re going to trigger their option
  • Which I am sure they would have.
    PLEASE REMEMBER!! He’s still in 20’s and that option possibly isn’t a second tier contract ($85k) It could be for 30k… (My apprentice is in his 2nd year of 20’s with the Raiders, He got 8k - Last years leading tryscorer)
  • We signed him as a kid, at that point we wouldn’t have known how far along he would have come until now… Which his current offers are all based.
    NOW we could hold a gun to his head and say “We have contract, You play with us”, And pay him the amount, With no promise of first grade next year (Or a contract after that)…
    ASSUMING he would still want to play with us for a year, and not tell us to stick it and play in Q Cup or NZ while the Panthers still payed him.
    OR we can say, You have a much better offer for your future there - We will not stand in your way.

It’s called being realistic - Not aspiring to be a bottom 4 team.

Exactly. If Moses or or Brooks go down we have signed JLJ. He may not be a long term solution but at this stage of their respective careers he will do just as good as Martin would next year. Martin is still at least 2 years off IMO.

Holding players to ransom hardly inspires loyalty or encourages other juniors to committ to us.

If the Panthers were offering say 800k for 3 years and we could guarantee 85k +see what we have in the cap the season after then from his point of view its a no brainer.

Say we kept him on 85k against his will (but being legally entitled to do so), he might get disgruntled and impatient about not having his future sorted, his form varies, and if we end up being happy with brooks and moses and decide not to offer him a contract he’s spent a year earning less money with fewer opportunities and lowering his future value.

We let him go, but if things aren’t working out for him at the Panthers in a year or two he may be quite happy to return to the club that treated him well.

The Broncs could have kept Ash Taylor, but instead they realise he won’t get the opportunity he deserves so they allow him to leave. The next budding Taylor won’t hesitate to sign with the Broncs as he knows that if he’s good enough he’ll either get an opportunity at the Broncs or they’ll allow him to move elsewhere to further his career. So the cycle of attracting top junior talent continues.

@Balmain Boy:

The Broncs could have kept Ash Taylor, but instead they realise he won’t get the opportunity he deserves so they allow him to leave. The next budding Taylor won’t hesitate to sign with the Broncs as he knows that if he’s good enough he’ll either get an opportunity at the Broncs or they’ll allow him to move elsewhere to further his career. So the cycle of attracting top junior talent continues.

I understand what you’re saying but I don’t think Te Maire will play in the halves for Penrith for 2016 or maybe even not 2017? Wallace and Soward probably have another 2 years.

He could have come off the bench for the tigers as the 14

And I think Te Maire has much more overall skill than Taylor but as i’ve said before I still see Martin make some silly mistakes.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.