Much more flair advancing the ball

Ive been very critical all year that we had strippped back our attack way too much, particuarly between the 20’s, it put so much pressure on elsewhere.

In the last few weeks we have used the ball much better, our error rate hasnt changed much, and all of a sudden we are asking more questions, making the defence spread a little wider and everything gets easier.

We even nailed a long range try from a mid field shift.

Hopefully this was always in the plan, adn the next step in the evolution.

It has been reported in the media that the players went to JT a few weeks ago and wanted to come to some sort of compromise over the football they were playing. Taylor obviously saw the benefits of it so well done to him for adapting and not being too stubborn. Were playing with much more flair and are causing problems for the opposition.

Defence is still a big worry. I enjoy watching points being scored, but less dependence on crossing the strip is required when we don’t leak so many points.

Don’t know what happened compared to the start of the season. They started off as a good defensive unit and then fell apart.

@Eddie:

It has been reported in the media that the players went to JT a few weeks ago and wanted to come to some sort of compromise over the football they were playing. Taylor obviously saw the benefits of it so well done to him for adapting and not being too stubborn. Were playing with much more flair and are causing problems for the opposition.

Agree. It’s finding the balance of letting natural ability v structure that’s the key to our success.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

@Cultured Bogan:

Defence is still a big worry. I enjoy watching points being scored, but less dependence on crossing the strip is required when we don’t leak so many points.

Don’t know what happened compared to the start of the season. They started off as a good defensive unit and then fell apart.

For what it’s worth I think our scramble in the last few weeks has been some of the best I’ve seen from a Tigers team, they just kept turning up for each other. We have a lot of work to do on line speed, first contact and winning the ruck but there’s definitely been a change in mentality for scrambling D. Also seems to have changed our support play too, everyone is pushing up hard to try and finish off breaks.

@Mighty Tiger:

@Eddie:

Agree. It’s finding the balance of letting natural ability v structure that’s the key to our success.

i doubt JT had little say in the matter, we were getting canned most games and we the fans were calling for his head iam sure some one from the board had a quite word in his ear as well as the players. hes still a dill.

We definitely have stopped the one out forward runs where we had no support players so the opposition would just smash us. I noticed our forwards running in pairs last night and passing. Hell even Buchanan when he was on was a threat backing up!

We really need luck as team as we have little to fall back on, but what we have on the field when we get it right we threaten most teams other than the Rorters.

@Cultured Bogan:

To be fair, we only conceded three tries last night and off the back of a boatload of opposition possession. Also I don’t think any of them can be put down to problems with the structure. They were all individual lapses. In theory, with more time (or, let’s be realistic, a better roster) these lapses should start to happen less often.

The attack was the glaring problem that needed to be fixed. I think our defence is okay apart from the easy misses which are less to do with structure than to do with individuals just going missing at times.

We give ourselves a chance if we actually have a go.

@VanillaThunder:

@Cultured Bogan:

For what it’s worth I think our scramble in the last few weeks has been some of the best I’ve seen from a Tigers team, they just kept turning up for each other. We have a lot of work to do on line speed, first contact and winning the ruck but there’s definitely been a change in mentality for scrambling D. Also seems to have changed our support play too, everyone is pushing up hard to try and finish off breaks.

Agree with that. Goal line defence wasn’t too bad last night given the amount of ball Canberra had on our line.
We still give up huge metres between the 20s though, which comes down to linespeed and ruck defence as you say. To be fair we tightened up a bit after half time last night, but it’s been an issue all year.

@bp tiger:

@Mighty Tiger:

@Eddie:

i doubt JT had little say in the matter, we were getting canned most games and we the fans were calling for his head iam sure some one from the board had a quite word in his ear as well as the players. hes still a dill.

I find it a bit hard to swallow this idea that coach has apparently instructed the team to play boring all year, to ill effect, then the players reportedly approach him and request a change, which he grants, and now we are playing better.

So when we played poorly, it was JT’s fault, now we are in a bit of form, it wasn’t JT’s idea, it was him finally giving in to suggestions from other parties.

Maybe it’s just the team finally executing all of the plans that have been in place all year? Or maybe it’s the players hitting the KPIs required to allow themselves more attacking freedom.

Because there is this pervading idea of “Taylorball” that has been going around the forum, mostly since the Nth QLD game, that we were a stifled and boring attacking side and the players were just praying to be unshackled. Err that game was 10 rounds ago!

The average points scored before the Nth QLD game was 19.1 (10 games), and since then it’s 20.0 (9 games). We racked up our 3 highest points totals in Rds 8, 14 and 21. Pretty evenly spread out?

Personally I just see a team executing better: crisper passes, less bad dropped ball, less costly missed tackles, fewer dumb decisions. We have less inexperienced players in key defensive positions like centre and backrow.

@VanillaThunder:

@Cultured Bogan:

To be fair, I think the scramble has been fine for a few years, even under Potter I thought our scrambling was better than under Sheens.

I’m not really referring to the last two weeks as much as previous weeks (surrendering 30-40 points.) I’ll take 3 conceded tries when we’re scoring four. Would like to see us wind it in a little more though and keep teams to single digits for the rest of the year. Wishful thinking but it’s nice to see some ball in motion rather than Taylorball for a change.

@jirskyr:

I find it a bit hard to swallow this idea that coach has apparently instructed the team to play boring all year, to ill effect, then the players reportedly approach him and request a change, which he grants, and now we are playing better.

I agree. I’m hopeful that he has learned during his time at the club.

@jirskyr:

So when we played poorly, it was JT’s fault, now we are in a bit of form, it wasn’t JT’s idea, it was him finally giving in to suggestions from other parties.

Personally I hope that its at JT’s instructions and he doesn’t revert back to terrible game plans. If he does this again he just has to go.

@jirskyr:

Maybe it’s just the team finally executing all of the plans that have been in place all year? Or maybe it’s the players hitting the KPIs required to allow themselves more attacking freedom.

I don’t think that this is the case at all. We had the Taylor spin and half time comments regarding defence and defence only. It was a tactic.

@jirskyr:

Personally I just see a team executing better: crisper passes, less bad dropped ball, less costly missed tackles, fewer dumb decisions. We have less inexperienced players in key defensive positions like centre and backrow.

Agreed but our tactics have changed a lot.

I will put my 20 cents worth in…
The Storm game and last nights game have been culminating for a while,it has taken the team this long to understand the structures JT has been teaching them…as some have said,they are limiting the silly desperation passes and decisions and sticking to the “plan”…

Get the defense right…the attack will come…

And it will only get better…

love the Tigers letting the ball sing and smoking the Raiders on the outside. fantastic stuff
Just listened to Ricky’s press conference (for a laugh, he’s like a characterture).
he kept saying “we lost because we pushed the last pass”. "we have to learn to be patent ".
what i think he meant was…“we don’t have the skill to match it with the Tigers, they were very slick and burnt us, we shouldn’t have tried to play that style of game”.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme