Tigers future

Whispers about another breakaway comp. What would you want us to do if it happened?

Back in 95 I wanted us to stay loyal to the ARL but i believe that has proved a huge mistake. Every super league team has been looked after. They only lost teams like Adelaide etc. While All loyal teams have taken all the hits with Norths being punted, Souths getting punted, Wests and Balmain merging, Saints and Illawarra merging while super league teams remained untouched.

So this time around I say stuff the NRL and go with the powerful money.

Thoughts if a 12 team breakaway comp does eventuate?

Aren’t we one of four teams who have already decided to stay with the nrl because we owe money to them? Pretty sure it was us, dragons, titans and parra

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3

I was a big fan of the original SL proposal, but unfortunately we never got to see it due to Arko & Quail renigging on Murdoch.

If a new comp was formed, I’d be interested in seeing what game/comp format is being proposed before making a decision.

One thing which is very different to 95, is the current administration now have a war chest.

@benji#6:

Aren’t we one of four teams who have already decided to stay with the nrl because we owe money to them? Pretty sure it was us, dragons, titans and parra

I reckon that debt could be settled by appropriate people if we decided to jump

@benji#6:

I think we had to sign the participation agreement with the NRL before they got involved. So unless we became a new club, I can’t see how we could be in it . ( if it happened)

@goldcoast tiger:

@benji#6:

I think we had to sign the participation agreement with the NRL before they got involved. So unless we became a new club, I can’t see how we could be in it . ( if it happened)
To be honest though, why would they want us in . We’re a basket case at the moment.
There’s probably only about three or Four players that they’d want from us

Getting the wooden spoon of a 12 team comp is better than getting the spoon of an 18 team comp lol

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

If Murdoch has his filthy paws on any comp then i couldnt support it under any condition

It started as a lot of smoke but this quickly becoming a reality. The trouble for a club like ours is we are indebted to the NRL and therefore are obliged to remain loyal to them.

The basic break down here is that all clubs sign a participation contract with the NRL, this used to be done at the same time, however the NRL in its wisdom have made all four clubs that owe them money sign new agreements so as to stagger the result and lessen the chance of the clubs using their participation as a bargaining tool. The four clubs are, Wests Tigers, St George Illawarra, Newcastle and the Titans.

The 12 other clubs want to be stakeholders of the game, they dont want to be fed bare minimum grants by the governing body and they want to have a greater say on the distribution of funds and the running of the game.

The NRL since the creation of the Independent Commission have smelt of corruption and bumbled from one failure to the next. The most concerning thing for these other 12 clubs is the NRL seem to have a complete lack of understanding for the fabric of the game the are looking after. They implement business decisions with no Rugby League nous.

Youve only got to look at this ridiculous shoulder charge interpretation a couple of weeks out from the finals to see this in evidence. The players do not understand the new rule, they have not had time to change habits of a lifetime. No other sporting body in the world would treat its product in this way. Could you imagine FIFA changing something equivalent and as habitual as a bracing for impact with the shoulder, it just would never happen mid season.

So in short as a result of the NRL’s failings the other 12 clubs who have yet to sign agreements with the NRL are getting together and talk is they will form a break away comp with its own television deal. They will look at expansion ahead of trying to win over the other four clubs. A second Brisbane team, a team from Perth etc . This will leave the four NRL aligned without a competition to play in.

Wests Tigers unfortunately are on the wrong side of this, an NRL appointed board does not help. All we have are some decent TV ratings and a strong and popular emblem. Our region and supporter base would quickly be be swallowed up by the other surrounding clubs. After the last couple of years and the absolute rubbish the board, coaching department and football players keep offering up fans are so jaded that if and when this does eventuate we may not even put up a fight.

Sad times but i could see this coming, the Independent Commission have ruined the game, rusted on fans are walking away. Changes made to the third party agreements have seen the rich clubs return to dominance, this has made the salary cap David Gallop worked years on getting right a complete joke. There are reports there are at least 12 officials at NRL headquarters on a salary of over 500k, almost all of them have never played the game or in some cases were not even fans of the game before their appointment.

The most recent development has been the bungling of the TV deal, Ch 7 & 10 both wanted to put forward a proposal for the rights. Both were not even invited to sit down and chat. Smith worked out a deal with Gyngel, reports are this deal activates bonuses in Smith’s contract that will see him walk away with a couple of million dollars. Most disturbingly Fox Sports are so pissed off, and rightly so, they had been willing to go large on NRL but instead Smith did the deal with 9 and left Fox with the 4 worst games of the round and expect them now to cough up millions for the pleasure. Murdoch has turned his attention to AFL in protest.

What should have been the NRL finest moment with this TV deal has now turned into the one thing that will push these other 12 clubs over the edge. Without the bungling of the TV deal this was all talk and suggestion, a bargaining tool even, now through Smith’s failings this a fire that will not be put out anytime soon.

Super League MK11 for me….

Ironic that Gus will be leading the charge this time round…

@Tiger Watto:

I was a big fan of the original SL proposal, but unfortunately we never got to see it due to Arko & Quail renigging on Murdoch.

If a new comp was formed, I’d be interested in seeing what game/comp format is being proposed before making a decision.

One thing which is very different to 95, is the current administration now have a war chest.

Not so sure about this war chest Watto.

It is dependent on them having a competition to sell Ch9, with only four confirmed teams i would say the deal would be off.

Ch7, Ch10 and Fox would soon provide a massive amount of cash for the break away comp.

@benji#6:

Its us, dragons, titans and Newcastle - the 4 clubs the NRL have bailed out and have involvement in. The talk has come about because the other 12 reckon they should be getting more from the current TV deal. This has now escalated since the new deal giving channel 9 everything they want and effectively reducing foxtels exclusive coverage. Rupert is pissed off hence foxtels big involvement with AFL in their next tv deal. Foxtel is owned 50/50 between Murdoch and Telstra - they also have a share in channel 10. The latest reports are that Telstra are considering pulling their involvement with NRL. So if you want a good conspiracy theory it would be that Telstra will stop backing NRL at the end of the current TV deal and in cahoots with Foxtel and Ten will fund a breakaway comp of 12 teams. Foxtel and Ten will do TV coverage and Telstra will get all digital rights.

Interested to see how much the Roosters are involved in this considering Gyngell and Politis have a very strong relationship.

One thing I don’t like hearing, is how these 12 clubs believe they are stakeholders of the game. This belief could be the starting point of the biggest disaster for the game of rugby league.

Rugby league went thru all this 20 years ago.
Two comps went their own way for a couple of seasons.
End result after a couple of seasons, they once again united and we know have NRL.
The big winner was the AFL.
Rugby League fans grew weary and became very frustrated with struggle of " Administration power players ( club level or corporate sponsors ) wanting to run Rugby league their way", changed as well and AFL was the main benefactor from this.
Greed and selfish people could be the end of once a truly great game, Rugby league
Do we need to see this be repeated once again, just so ego’s of prominent people can be satisfied.

Not sure what you mean there… they are? So are you?

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme